The Elusive Is Ecm Heavy, And A Potential Happy Solution.

11 replies to this topic

#1 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Now, most people are used to the Star League-tech ECM system, the Guardian, that a precious few models (and in one notable case, a chassis that should, the Firestarter-S but does not) are capable of mounting.

Of course, this means that there won't be a single ECM-capable heavy for quite some time for the Inner Sphere- most 3050-era ECM users are lights or won't show up for 5+ years or both.

All except one. That would be...

The Cataphract. It had ECM capacity before the GECM system even came back online.

Wait, what you say? Let me explain.

3025-era tech had what was called "Electronic Warfare" equipment, a heavier but inferior combo of what the Guardian and Beagle Probe did. That is, it's ECM bubble was 90m rather than 180m, and it's "Beagle" only gave half the reach the Beagle/Clan Active Probe do. Being 3025-tech, it was also bulkier (7.5T and 4 crits)- but it was built into two machines- the original Raven and Cataphract.

Posted Image

The "-0X" packed a PPC, AC/5, and two medium lasers along with the EW gear and a remote sensor dispenser. (The same EW gear was on the original Raven, the -1X.)

It could be added as a standard choice or as a Hero- and the EW package could also be given as a broader option choice than the higher tech ECM for use in more chassis.

#2 DasaDevil

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

I am fairly positive that IS has ECM covered all around, for the most part.

#3 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Actually, the one ECM assault we have isn't canonical- ECM is actually astonishingly rare until nearly 3060, where the first post-Clan original designs start showing up in force. If we did canon, right now the Raven-3L and an electronic-replacement version of the Firestarter-S, the -S1 would be it for IS forces-and the latter doesn't exist in MWO. Commando/Spider ECM carriers in MWO aren't canon, nor is the Atlas-D-DC. Nor was the Cicada ECM-equipped.

Clanners have more possible ECM carriers from the start, but the IS in reality didn't catch up even moderately until 3058 or so.

#4 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

I wish the CTF looked like that image...

Anyway, the issue of Guardian ECM isn't so much about how many mechs have it available, but rather the fact that it's operating as a combination of Guardian ECM + multiple Null Signature Systems. I'm fully in support of making ECM available for more mechs and making it as powerful as it is in tabletop (that is, it counters enemy BAP and NARC rather than the other way around) - but it needs to be split off from and no longer operate like an area effect Null Signature System (i.e. the "invisibility umbrella" needs to go). The extreme-range anti-radar effect should be included as Stealth Armor, and only affect the user of the system; the upside is that Stealth Armor still functions even if the ECM is in Counter (ECCM) mode.

Using this sort of separated system, I would love to see the EW package on the CTF. As far as the mechanics of the EW package itself - I'd make it 3t and 3 crit slots (7.5t and 4 crit slots seems pretty punitive since current ECM is nowhere near that), half range and a half-power BAP exactly as you said, and make it chassis-locked equipment on the CTF-0X and the RVN-1X. You could also just make a CTF-0X and RVN-1X with an ECM slot, but then people would just run the ECM instead of the EW package. You could, of course, get around this with "Class 1 ECM (EW Only)" and "Class 2 ECM (G-ECM or EW)" slots. This would also open the door for special/experimental mechs designed to use systems like the Angel ECM (A-ECM, which would be require a Class 3 slot) without letting every ECM mech use the Angel.

Just a thought.

Edited by Xarian, 10 October 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Nobody in their right mind would use the 7.5 ton "EW Equipment." It would be a completely useless option.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'll worry about the elusive "IS Heavy ECM Carrier" when they announce the elusive "Clan Assault ECM Carrier".

View PostXarian, on 10 October 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I wish the CTF looked like that image...

Drunk, unbalanced and about to fall over? :P

View PostFupDup, on 10 October 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Nobody in their right mind would use the 7.5 ton "EW Equipment." It would be a completely useless option.

I think the point would be more, at this day and age, to make that version compatible with G-ECM, no?

Do a "Hellbringer" (remove the Apods for more armor), and make the stock version have G-ECM, BAP, a Command Console and some extra heat sinks, or something.

It would be interesting, at least.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 October 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#7 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

Why are people so hard up about getting an IS heavy with ECM? I just do not see what is so important about it.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 10 October 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

If they did create a ECM cataphract I would bet you MC it wouldnt be a hero variant. Instead it would just be an addtional standard variant.

#9 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 10 October 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

If they did create a ECM cataphract I would bet you MC it wouldnt be a hero variant. Instead it would just be an addtional standard variant.

No hero 'mech has ever had ECM because the MWO community would immediately label it a "Pay to Win" 'mech and PGI knows this.

#10 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 10 October 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

No hero 'mech has ever had ECM because the MWO community would immediately label it a "Pay to Win" 'mech and PGI knows this.

Why? I've been assured that ECM's mechanic is perfectly balanced.

#11 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostDocBach, on 10 October 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Why? I've been assured that ECM's mechanic is perfectly balanced.

Seriously though, any hero that offers a significant advantage/difference over the C-Bill variants tends to draw ire, which is why PGI has more recently opted for more slightly/mildly different heroes nowadays.

#12 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

View Postwanderer, on 10 October 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

3025-era tech had what was called "Electronic Warfare" equipment, a heavier but inferior combo of what the Guardian and Beagle Probe did. That is, it's ECM bubble was 90m rather than 180m, and it's "Beagle" only gave half the reach the Beagle/Clan Active Probe do. Being 3025-tech, it was also bulkier (7.5T and 4 crits)- but it was built into two machines- the original Raven and Cataphract.

Ah... this is why I don't remember this:

" This item was not considered canon, however, as it was never published in English"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users