Artemis Worth It?

12 replies to this topic

#1 ManOpeace

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have looked for recent posts, but the newest one was from months ago. I was just wondering if artemis is worth picking up for my bananaboat (my LRM Boat)

#2 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

meh. If you have extra tonnage, go for it. But I'd rather save the tons and add more ammo or heat sinks.

#3 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

It depends. Artemis only give benefits when you have line of sight. Then it translates into: More Missile hits at one for the Tonnage and Critical slot equivalent of a Ton of Ammo.

If mostly using indirect fire? No. If mostly firing with line of sight? Yes.

It also, scales better with bigger launchers.

#4 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

It depends, but one big benefit is faster lock on time. You can have missiles well on their way to the target before a teammate without Artemis can even fire, especially if the target is under ECM and is lit by a UAV. Its hardly instant, but it can be the difference between 30 missiles hitting and 60 missiles hitting that DDC.

Depending on the number of launchers you have, it can be a very weighty upgrade. I often run with less ammo and be more selective with my firing.

Edited by BumbleBee, 08 October 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#5 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:18 AM

i'd only use artimes for SRM's. It's a little more situational with LRMs. like someone said, if you can spare the tonnage and already have all the ammo you need, go for it. But I wouldn't risk taking Artemis if it means I don't have back up weapons or run short on ammo.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

For Streaks and SRM's, Artemis can be quite valuable.

SRM-6+ART will get about the accuracy of SRM-2.
SRM-2 with or without Artemis are quite accurate, but with Artemis a SRM-2 is pinpoint accuracy past 80 meters, given that your aim is good.

LRM's not so much, you get fast lockon and using smaller racks will give tighter missle hits, but its all shotgunning with or without.

I guess it all depends, SRM's without artemis make it easier to shotgun and hit faster targets too, but with Artemis you can do precision strikes on components.

#7 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

I use SRM4 in my Jenner for hit and run and Artemis does not make any difference, but I am firing under 100m.
Artemis for SRM seems better when you are using them at longer ranges.

#8 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

I'll assume you're not making a completely ammo dependent mech designed to rely on others to get your locks for you.....

If LRMs are going to be your primary damage dealer, you need a lot more than Artemis.

Artemis keeps the missiles clumped tighter, as opposed to spreading out before they hit. Granted, target movement and range have a lot to do with that as well. The main reason to equip Artemis is the 25% quicker lock on time.

Beagle (or Clan) Active Probe is a must as well. Not only does it give another 25% target lock on bonus, it shuts down ECM when it's close enough. When that wolfpack of lights comes around to kill the LRM boats, you'll appreciate the ability to let your team lock on to him.

Advanced Target Decay module. If you don't have it, get it. It increases the time you've got lock after someone dodges behind a corner. May not help you but might help the other boats out there.

Radar Deprivation module. Again, if you don't have it, get it. It's the #1 best defense against LRMs.

AMS. If you can mount it, mount it. Even at the expense of extra ammo.

Never leave yourself without a backup weapon. Even if it's a single Medium Laser, at least you're not a bookend running about the field.

#9 Winter Frostfire

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

imo either get the artemis upgrade OR get a beagle active probe, which i think is better than the artemis upgrade.

#10 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

The big thing with Artemis is that you need to have LOS on your target to work.

If you like to run your LRM boats at mid ranges, it can be worth it.. However, I think that it is much more useful for SRM's than for LRM's.

#11 CMIRKO

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 08 October 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Beagle (or Clan) Active Probe is a must as well. Not only does it give another 25% target lock on bonus, it shuts down ECM when it's close enough. When that wolfpack of lights comes around to kill the LRM boats, you'll appreciate the ability to let your team lock on to him.

is this true ? would like somebody official to confirm that BAP decreases lock on time....

smurfy doesn't mention it all....

#12 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostManOpeace, on 07 October 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

I have looked for recent posts, but the newest one was from months ago. I was just wondering if artemis is worth picking up for my bananaboat (my LRM Boat)

1) You love chucking LRMs from behind walls - No.
2) You have your own TAG and maneuver to LRM within line-of-sight during a brawl or fight - Yes.

#13 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

It's complicated

Positives
-It decreases lock time
-It increases missile clustering when you have LoS so hits smaller mechs with more missiles, or allows focus on centre torso for kill

Negatives
-1 ton and slot per launcher, so on most LRM boats (4 launchers) you're giving up 720 rounds of ammo or forcing yourself into an XL engine build which limits how much exposure you can give yourself to LoS.

Other considerations
-If you have LoS, tagging a target works good too for clustering and only costs 1 ton and 1 slot
-Tag also breaks ECM
-Sometimes you don't want the LRMs to cluster more into the Centre Torso (target has a nearly destroyed lef/right torso/arm) which you can control using tag. (don't tag the target you are looking at on purpose to be more likely to hit outside the centre torso)

My thoughts
LRM-10 + Artemis is now the best option for missile boats and not LRM 15s.
It kills better, locks fast, reloads fast, doesn't generate bad ghost heat and still leaves you enough room/weight to load your boat out with a crap ton of LRM ammo.

LRM 15/20 + Artemis is good for 1 launcher builds because it does make a noticable difference in missile clustering if you see the target when you fire.
But
3x or 4x LRM5 launchers are still better than an LRM15/20 with artemis for the same build if you have the hard points for it.

Edited by LORD ORION, 08 October 2014 - 07:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users