34 replies to this topic

#1 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

I am just offering up this feedback since I have been forced to play my first conquest match in more than a year and it is STILL terrible.

Unfortunately, I usually feel responsible to my team to optimize my game play for my side to win. If you get too far behind in capping in conquest you can easily lose. So when I am in a fast mech (Like my FS9-E in the match I just completed) ... capping becomes a task I have to do since I can't ask the Stalker pilot to do it.

So ... I ran off ... engaged a couple of enemies at Kappa briefly ... ran over to gamma and capped it. Someone else on my team was doing the same thing so between the two of us we kept us in the cap game.

BUT ... it was the most BORING waste of my MWO time in the last year. I did a total of 32 damage. I spent most of the match standing on a cap point. WHY BOTHER? There was no reward for my time spent standing on the cap point other than a miniscule increase in the resource rewards. My total experience earned for the match was 332 ... 300 for the win, 32 for damage.

Conquest is the most unrewarding to play mode in the game ... unless you play it like assault or skirmish ... in which case what is the point?

So ... my feedback ... voting for game mode is fine if all the game modes are equally fun to play ... they are NOT ... if you are going to force people to play these game modes you need to make them better ... period.

#2 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

This is easily remedied when you apply the rules of "skirmquest" to conquest. Ignore capps, treat it like skirmish, have fun.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Tell the Pug to move as deathball and simply uncap Bases - usualy you will win and have Action.

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

Still better than Skirmish mode.

#5 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

I raged like **** to a PGI staff member in game when the increased cap times were implemented to Conquest.

Basically I was told "blame Paul Inouye".

Funnily enough this man is solely responsible for almost all of the convoluted mechanics and trash balance we see today.

Seriously, how much is this absolute bigot going to ruin this game before he 1) get's the boot? 2) get's run out of town by the gamers? or 3) simply gives up sh****g on this game any more than he already has?

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostMawai, on 07 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Hi,

I am just offering up this feedback since I have been forced to play my first conquest match in more than a year and it is STILL terrible.

Unfortunately, I usually feel responsible to my team to optimize my game play for my side to win. If you get too far behind in capping in conquest you can easily lose. So when I am in a fast mech (Like my FS9-E in the match I just completed) ... capping becomes a task I have to do since I can't ask the Stalker pilot to do it.

So ... I ran off ... engaged a couple of enemies at Kappa briefly ... ran over to gamma and capped it. Someone else on my team was doing the same thing so between the two of us we kept us in the cap game.

BUT ... it was the most BORING waste of my MWO time in the last year. I did a total of 32 damage. I spent most of the match standing on a cap point. WHY BOTHER? There was no reward for my time spent standing on the cap point other than a miniscule increase in the resource rewards. My total experience earned for the match was 332 ... 300 for the win, 32 for damage.

Conquest is the most unrewarding to play mode in the game ... unless you play it like assault or skirmish ... in which case what is the point?

So ... my feedback ... voting for game mode is fine if all the game modes are equally fun to play ... they are NOT ... if you are going to force people to play these game modes you need to make them better ... period.

I agree, CBill bonuses should be given to capping.

View PostKyocera, on 07 October 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

I raged like **** to a PGI staff member in game when the increased cap times were implemented to Conquest.

Funnily enough this man is solely responsible for almost all of the convoluted mechanics and trash balance we see today.

Seriously, how much is this absolute bigot going to ruin this game before he 1) get's the boot? 2) get's run out of town by the gamers? or 3) simply gives up sh****g on this game any more than he already has?

welcome to MWO

Edited by knightsljx, 07 October 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#7 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

no one forced you to cap...you could have just made the best of it and fought anyway.

#8 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 07 October 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

no one forced you to cap...you could have just made the best of it and fought anyway.

True. I forced myself to cap because I like to win and presumably the point of "Conquest" is supposed to be to capture something. As another poster suggested I can always try and play skirmquest and if we lose to the other team capping c'est la vie ... but honestly, the fact that I would have to play that way has more to do with a poorly designed game mode than anything else ... to start with, capping should have a reward in and of itself in terms of both cbills and xp.

#9 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostKyocera, on 07 October 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

View Postknightsljx, on 07 October 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

welcome to MWO

You mean Paul Inouye Online?

If it wasn't for this ****** we wouldn't have such convoluted mechanics and I wouldn't have had an official warning sent to me by ticket for raging at people every time he fukcs something up and they all go out and abuse his fkuc up.

Paul, for goodness sake please just give up on this game. You have proven time and time again that everything you are involved in just turns totally to atomic dust. For the sake of the hard working staff at PGI, for the loyal gamers and for every damn reason we love Battletech, just walk away, totally, for goodness sake.

#10 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would modify conquest in the following way:

-Remove resource points as a primary win condition.
-Make controlling resource nodes at the end of the match determine the victor. 5 nodes per map, one team is controlling 3 at the time limit to win. If tie, then the first team to capture ANY point on the map wins. So you still have to defend what you own. (not just have an all out brawl at the last node)

This would reward, speed and coordination while also allowing for solid firefights.

#11 Heuvadoches

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRainbow Tiger, Second Life

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

As I've said in another thread, conquest sucks. Remove it, or make it hard choices again. I don't play conquest for a reason.

#12 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Just give us 2000xp bonus for capping instead of that lame ass 50xp and all will be well.

#13 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostMagnakanus, on 07 October 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

This is easily remedied when you apply the rules of "skirmquest" to conquest. Ignore capps, treat it like skirmish, have fun.

Get half the rewards.

#14 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 07 October 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

Get half the rewards.

Well, nobody said it was perfect. The rewards "balance out" at 700+ points for an average game. You cant escape conquest now that the voting system is in, so try to make the best of it. Oh, the polls are open again, you may want to vote now.

#15 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

As many people have stated, the best way to play Conquest is to play it like Skirmish, which is pointless. And yet, Conquest is the game mode that offers most in terms of objective play. Sad, isn't it.

So, PGI please fix Conquest and make it viable to actually go for capping and reward the efforts to do so, even if the (hopefully) secondary objective of killing the enemy team is achieved, still reward capping.

#16 drinniol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

I thought everyone was gonna ragequit when they didn't get the game they wanted and that Conquest would disappear.

Can't I trust anything I read on this forums any more????

#17 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:34 AM

Yep, Conquest is rubbish purely because of how long it takes to cap. The game is 12 minutes long, and it takes 3 minutes to cap a base. So, four possible flips in a game? Yeah, get stuffed.

I've posted about this a couple of times and never get a dev response outside of "stop creating threads every patch"

Once again here's me having lots of fun capping on conquest. You can't see it because I'm just scrolling through 9GAG while waiting.

#18 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

With my corp friends we are really happy playing "Conquest" mode, it's more strategic than fragmish and requires more skill and discipline.

To Troutmonkey, you are de-capping and capping alone with a 98% fast mech... Excuse me but I think that you miss the point of this mode.

Best Regards

#19 ToMang07

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:18 AM

Nothing like being forced to play a mode you hate.

That totally defeats the point.

Guess I'll just have unfortunate "connection issues" a little more frequently.

#20 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

View Postskorpionet, on 08 October 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

With my corp friends we are really happy playing "Conquest" mode, it's more strategic than fragmish and requires more skill and discipline.

To Troutmonkey, you are de-capping and capping alone with a 98% fast mech... Excuse me but I think that you miss the point of this mode.

Best Regards

How many direwolves do you drop with into a Conquest match? Just curious ... I would only ever take fast assaults into conquest because there is a lot of moving around required.

But ... oh ... what about folks who like to play direwolves (or any slow assault or heavy in the PUG) ... who now get dropped in a conquest match where all they can do is wander around hoping to find the other team? By the time they reach a capture point the other team has already left.

Assault and skirmish can work with any fit of any mech (I use lights all the time in these modes so the folks claiming lights are useless there are pretty much mistaken) ... conquest on the other hand has different constraints and requirements and there are certain mechs and some builds that are pretty useless in conquest ... and which then force you to play a skirmish match and hope the other team doesn't win by capping.

Finally, there are no rewards for the team friendly pilots who actually run around capping, bored to the point of tears, and receiving nothing for their individual waste of time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users