Mobile Ammunition Vehicles (Any other MWO ideas)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Reign Death

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

I do not know if this has been thought of before but does any one think that having a mobile vehicle that can resupply mechs in field sound interesting? I know there were aircraft that could pick up supplies in Mech Warrior Assualt 1 & 2 but nothing like a station that could be set up and left there. Tell me what you guys think ok? And if you have any ideas that could make the game more interesting I would love to ponder on them. Thanks.

Edited by Reign Death, 29 June 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#2 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Ammo limitations is a part of Battletech's weapon balance. It's one of the advantages of lasers. When you're going between confrontations, to restore that balance you generally need a way to restock and re-armor (Else laser boats are over compelling, ALA MW2). Since MWO is only a single confrontation at this point there's no reason for ammo wagons. If you did put them in you'd just have a bunch of LRM boats sitting around it, like pups feeding,  throwing out a solid stream of LRMs.

The MechWarrior series had these, primarily because it wasn't very balanced and each mission was a series of confrontations. The AI was made to be terrible, because you single-handedly had to take out an overly-large number of mechs and vehicles. Due to having to wipe out 4x more things than the mech was balanced around killing, you needed a way to restock.

But from a BT sense, if you're just popping off gauss rifle shots willy-nilly because you figure you'll just run back and restock; then something is wrong.

Canon wise, there were mobile support gantries, but they generally weren't brought or used in combat, as there was an implicit rule of engagement that using support structures mid-combat made them combat targets. If a mech tow or ammo wagon were to show up in a combat area, they would just get destroyed with prejudice.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 29 June 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#3 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I hope they're in.
It'll be soo much fun blowing them up with an enemy 'mech nearby who's hoping to reload ammo.

#4 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

hope not, ammo conservation is a key to survival.

#5 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I hope we won't see them...Or not in a "normal" 12v12 mode.

It's a question of balance : you either have no heat but ammo managment, or the opposite. If you can restock ammo easily, it's to easy to come up with unbalanced teams like 1 lance of fully armored Atlases with just a couple small lasers defending a Lance of 4 LRM boats with 0 armor and HS.

And yes, this would be easily countered with the right composition, but it would be a pain to do and not even fun...

So please no :D

#6 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

And yes, this would be easily countered with the right composition, but it would be a pain to do and not even fun...

A single lance of Jenners might beat that. :D

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

There is a vehicle fitting this discription in the 3025 IIRC. It was a punishment detail in House Kurita!

#8 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

The 3025 TRO features the J-27 Ammo resupply vehicle. I like the idea of haveing them available as they will makea great objective to attack or protect and could be of great help if the game really gets into extened campaigns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users