D if you don't want the YLW

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

The AL can equip one of two energy-based AC/20s.

Twin PPCs is an AC/20 good at medium range instead of close range. It's a little hot but manageable with the lack of ammunition required to run it.

Twin LPL is a 350 meter optimum range (a full 80 meters above the AC/20's 270 meter range).
It deals 21.2 damage per shot, the beam time is super short, the travel time is instant (if your crosshair is on the target it is impossible to miss), and even if you don't hit directly you can recover and do some damage (unlike an AC/20 which just hits a wall and you can't salvage it). Also the twin LPL and the twin PPC is more difficult to destroy than an AC/20 when it comes to crit-damage dealt against you. Don't forget: Even without any unlocks the LPL fires again in 3.85 seconds. The AC/20 fires again every 4 seconds.

It also aims left and right without having to move the torso, unlike the AC/20 of the CN9-AH or the Yen Lo Wang.

Edited by Koniving, 08 October 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#23 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the input, gents.

Picked up the AL earlier today, focusing on knocking out the basics (nearly there). (ER)PPC runs pretty hot, I think my best success has been using 2 LLs + 2 MLs. Will try the LPL tomorrow.

#24 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

The CN9-AL has always been like a HBK 4SP to me. This used to be my faster 4sp before the HBK got the engine buffs :-)

#25 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

You won't regret the YLW. It is one of the most consistent performers out of my hero mech stock. I routinely pull in 200k+ C-bills with it and it is an absolute blast to play once you get the hang of the shoot and shield play-style. I was running my YLW tonight with both AC20 modules and had some wicked games. Look for it at 50% off again, it isn't that expensive if you've got some spare MC.

The free Cent will have an AC20 but I believe it has missile hardpoints instead of energy. There's no way you'll be able to have the speed/staying power that the YLW has (although you'll probably have more punch with the SRMs).

#26 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:50 AM

Like Pew Pew? Get the AL
Like Dakka Dakka? Get the D

#27 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate my Wang ;) .

I prefer the AL with a LPL in the arm with backups. Really good at taking down already hurt mechs. Play it like a scavenger and stick with the big boys.

#28 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

Basics on the AL are done!

Well that was interesting. I played around with some silly builds, too, like XL275 with 3 large pulse lasers.

AL will now be shelved as I wait for AH with his AC20.. lol

#29 SteelKiller

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

Yen Lo is probably my most consistent 'mech. It's the one I jump into if I'm having a bad night and need a boost. 107 kph with an AC20 + 2 MLAS makes for much fun as long as you keep moving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users