26 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Almost feel bad for owning all the hero and most of the champion mechs, the mastery packs are such a huge value. Bought 2 of the first 4 issued and I consider them some of my best purchases. If there was a mech that you were thinking of mastering I highly recommend you check out the new Mastery packs in the store.

#2 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

Yes, its terrific we finally get more Mastery bundles, long requested.

But pity that already technically own most of them thanks to the Hero sales a couple of months back, only the Dragon and Quickdraw are the ones I don't have any 'Mechs of...

#3 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

I bought the Stalker, Centurion, and Hunchback Mastery packs.

Best $110 ever spent (~$50 for Stalker, $30 even for Centy, and ~$25 for Hunchy... I had some MC left over too). You get double what you pay for, since each pack is 50% off the normal price for all the items IIRC, and that's just awesome. I got a Misery, a Champion Stalker, a normal Stalker, cockpit items, 1 month premium time, and 3 Mechbays for almost the same cost as a single Misery by itself. Same goes for the Cent and Hunchy packs, you get so much stuff for what you pay that it's stupid not to buy the Mastery pack if you want to level that chassis.

Wonderful idea, wonderful value, overall great thing for this game and PGI's coffers.

#4 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Based on the mechs i currently own i have the Blackjack, Cataphract, Cicada, Dragon, Highlander, Kintaro, Quickdraw, Spider, Stalker, and Victor remaining to choose from.......

very tough decisions lay ahead of me....also....my desire to eat food anytime in the near future must be weighed into this...

Edited by KamikazeRat, 08 October 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#5 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

I suppose it's a relatively good value if you enjoy PGI's ripoff prices.

#6 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 08 October 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Based on the mechs i currently own i have the Blackjack, Cataphract, Cicada, Dragon, Highlander, Kintaro, Quickdraw, Spider, Stalker, and Victor remaining to choose from.......

very tough decisions lay ahead of me....also....my desire to eat food anytime in the near future must be weighed into this...

Bundle pricing is consistent, so no desperate rush to get more than one in quick succession unless your going to buy a bundle as a "monthly subscription" to premium time.

#7 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

the Victor pack seems like a steal,every new player who likes this game and wants to throw some coin for it should have it as their first descent in to gotta collect them all-hell.

#8 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

I still feel bad for anyone who buys mastery packs for gimped mechs, like Kintaro, Trebuchet, Quickdraw, Centurion, Dragon.

There's this tonnage area to avoid of mechs that are simply too large, and too easy to hit (and lack the armor/weaponry capability to make up for it) purely in the 50-65 ton range. Sure some of the mechs in this range here that do well enough: Shadow Hawk, Griffon, Clan Mediums, but its only because they have good geometry and much better hardpoints comparatively so they can compete properly.

#9 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostCycKath, on 08 October 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Bundle pricing is consistent, so no desperate rush to get more than one in quick succession unless your going to buy a bundle as a "monthly subscription" to premium time.

View PostCookiemonter669, on 08 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

the Victor pack seems like a steal,every new player who likes this game and wants to throw some coin for it should have it as their first descent in to gotta collect them all-hell.

pretty much this except i started piecemeal and now i can descend much faster.

#10 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 October 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I suppose it's a relatively good value if you enjoy PGI's ripoff prices.

Guess your time isn't worth much then.

1 night at the bar costs about the same as buying a mech. You might spend 20 hours playing this game in that mech, as opposed to just 2 hours at the bar.

Put it another way:
If you spend 200 hours playing a video game, but aren't willing to pay a cent for it, you are either:

1.) A kid using his parents computer... which is awesome IMO - when I was a kid I secretly rode my bike to the mall to buy MW4 Mercs, and then secretly played it on the internet at night because I was only allowed to use the computer 1 hour at a time because we had dial up (don't get me wrong, my parent were cool and all, but forgiveness is easier than permission and I was gonna play MW regardless, so why ask). Lucky kids these days that get a F2P MW game on broadband that doesn't tie up the phone line.

2.) On some kind of moral platform because PGI hasn't implemented a promised feature (ex: CW) so you aren't paying to vote with your wallet; even though you would actually consider it a good day if you lost $50 from you wallet and MWO glitched and gave you $50 worth of MC, so long as PGI didn't get the money.
I'm not this way myself, but I get it.

3.) Some sort of lunatic that doesn't realize that playing MWO is already costing you $100 per year worth of electricity, that you have a $900 system, and that spending a few percent more on a hero mech of your favorite chassis will probably give you quite a bit of enjoyment per dollar. Even if the game is free, playing it is not. Lunatic, I say.

Or to look at it another way:

I just spent $1,500 on parts for a new gaming PC. I've spent around $500 on this "free" game...
Crazy thing is, this is possibly my cheapest hobby per hour.

The only other hobby of mine that may be cheaper is Kayaking (driving to the water costs a couple bucks because my truck gets like 20 MPG tops, plus wear and tear on my truck, but this is certainly a cheap hobby - just like the occasional few dollar MWO purchase and the power bills.)

All my other hobbies are basically insanely expensive by comparison. Orders of magnitude more per hour.

My motorboat is a 1978 that it put tons of work into, and even though I have been doing extensive work on my own (replaced every piece of wood except the core) the cost for the boat + fiberglass/epoxy + other materials it has still totaled up to more than I have spent on games, PCs, consoles, etc in my entire life - and I've used it for far less hours than I've played games for (not that I don't love boating, but I'm not going to go out every day after work and do it... too much hassle) Oh, also I had to buy a truck to tow it, which actually cost more than the boat haha. Plus the boat drinks that 91 octane ethanol free stuff like a frat boy drinks beer. I bought an old boat to be cheap (well, and for cool points) but I don't even want to think about how much my labor costs would be if i paid myself fair market rate for all the work I did.

Then there's the car hobby... the wheels and suspension alone cost more than any computer I will probably ever own... 'nuff said.

Then skiing... well snow skiing costs a crapload if you live in FL haha because of travel costs... but even the lift tickets realistically work out to several $ per hour... I think around $10/hour last time I went. And of course I own my own equipment for that too.. Yea, $. Plus the food there is overpriced. MWO is right next to the kitchen. Two or three ski trips cost to the great white north cost me just about as much as my entire gaming hobby has cost me in my entire life, and that's including the computers.

Edited by Fire and Salt, 08 October 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#11 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Mastery packs are great since they are available all the time. However, if you wait for the 50% off Hero sales, you can grab the Hero then and buy the rest of that stuff (except premium time) with C-Bills. Sort of a hybrid method if you're trying to use your MC only on stuff that you couldn't get otherwise.

#12 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 08 October 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I still feel bad for anyone who buys mastery packs for gimped mechs, like Kintaro, Trebuchet, Quickdraw, Centurion, Dragon.

LOL. Centurion is still a great mech, and all of these mech's are getting quirk boosts soon, so no regrets buying!

#13 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostFire and Salt, on 08 October 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

1 night at the bar costs about the same as buying a mech. You might spend 20 hours playing this game in that mech, as opposed to just 2 hours at the bar.

Put it another way:
If you spend 200 hours playing a video game, but aren't willing to pay a cent for it, you are either:

1.) A kid using his parents computer... which is awesome IMO - when I was a kid I secretly rode my bike to the mall to buy MW4 Mercs, and then secretly played it on the internet at night because I was only allowed to use the computer 1 hour at a time because we had dial up (don't get me wrong, my parent were cool and all, but forgiveness is easier than permission and I was gonna play MW regardless, so why ask). Lucky kids these days that get a F2P MW game on broadband that doesn't tie up the phone line.

2.) On some kind of moral platform because PGI hasn't implemented a promised feature (ex: CW) so you aren't paying to vote with your wallet; even though you would actually consider it a good day if you lost $50 from you wallet and MWO glitched and gave you $50 worth of MC, so long as PGI didn't get the money.

3.) Some sort of lunatic that doesn't realize that playing MWO is already costing you $100 per year worth of electricity, that you have a $900 system, and that spending a few percent more on a hero mech of your favorite chassis will probably give you quite a bit of enjoyment per dollar. Even if the game is free, playing it is not. Lunatic, I say.

I just spent $1,500 on parts for a new gaming PC. I've spent around $500 on this "free" game...

The only other hobby of mine that may be cheaper is Kayaking (driving to the water costs a couple bucks because my truck gets like 20 MPG tops, plus wear and tear on my truck, but this is certainly a cheap hobby - just like the occasional few dollar MWO purchase and the power bills.)

All my other hobbies are basically insanely expensive by comparison. Orders of magnitude more per hour.

My motorboat is a 1978 that it put tons of work into, and even though I have been doing extensive work on my own (replaced every piece of wood except the core) the cost for the boat + fiberglass/epoxy + other materials it has still totaled up to more than I have spent on games, PCs, consoles, etc in my entire life - and I've used it for far less hours than I've played games for (not that I don't love boating, but I'm not going to go out every day after work and do it... too much hassle) Oh, also I had to buy a truck to tow it, which actually cost more than the boat haha. Plus the boat drinks that 91 octane ethanol free stuff like a frat boy drinks beer. I bought an old boat to be cheap (well, and for cool points) but I don't even want to think about how much my labor costs would be if i paid myself fair market rate for all the work I did.

Then there's the car hobby... the wheels and suspension alone cost more than any computer I will probably ever own... 'nuff said.

Then skiing... well snow skiing costs a crapload if you live in FL haha because of travel costs... but even the lift tickets realistically work out to several $ per hour... I think around $10/hour last time I went. And of course I own my own equipment for that too.. Yea, $. Plus the food there is overpriced. MWO is right next to the kitchen. Two or three ski trips cost to the great white north cost me just about as much as my entire gaming hobby has cost me in my entire life, and that's including the computers.

My other hobby is guns. I spend far less on MWO than I do on ammo and firearms. My wife is kind of grateful, at least I dont run the risk of accidental injury playing mwo unless you count banging my head on my keyboard.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Put it another way:

Space poor. Nuff said. ;) :P

#15 Excalabur50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 123 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

I just bought the Jenner Mastery Pack last night and what amazing value for money it was too, I didn't own any lights before this and wanted to give them a go and I must say i had a ball running around in them and I just really like the idea of these packs and I also like the fact they were 50% off at launch WOOT!

#16 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 08 October 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Almost feel bad for owning all the hero and most of the champion mechs, the mastery packs are such a huge value. Bought 2 of the first 4 issued and I consider them some of my best purchases. If there was a mech that you were thinking of mastering I highly recommend you check out the new Mastery packs in the store.

I Thought those mastery packs only applied to the mech on the picture.....isnt it like a Commando, Hunchback, Stalker and idk the heavy.

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostAlwrath, on 08 October 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

LOL. Centurion is still a great mech, and all of these mech's are getting quirk boosts soon, so no regrets buying!

when the ever it has been a bad mech :D

I have soloed 3 dire wolves in a Zombie-Cent A,and lived to tell about it,hardly a bad mech.

#18 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

View Postorcrist86, on 08 October 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

My other hobby is guns. I spend far less on MWO than I do on ammo and firearms. My wife is kind of grateful, at least I dont run the risk of accidental injury playing mwo unless you count banging my head on my keyboard.

yeah seriously. depending on what you shoot, it can cost a dollar or two PER SHOT. talk about micro transactions lol

oh and 7.62x54R spamcans FTW

#19 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hah, yea I totally forgot about the gun.

Each bullet for mine costs about the same as 5 or 10 MC airstrikes.... shotty has a faster cooldown though, even though its a pump :lol:

Edited by Fire and Salt, 08 October 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#20 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

-snip-

It has more to do with the value of what they offer being low while asking a high price for it, buying a single mech for 1/3 of the price of a better game with more content and better production values is pretty weak; I also don't go to bars to get shitfaced because I can do that elsewhere and not get severely gouged for the price of crappy drinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users