Extremely Low Framerate On My Laptop

10 replies to this topic

#1 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

Please move this to needed forum if needed.

I sometimes play this game on my laptop and I have a low framerate when I play. How can I fix this?

My laptop system:
Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4cpu), ~2.5GHz
Memory:6144MB RAM
DX 11
Intel HD Graphics card
1696 MB
1366X768 (32 bit) (60hz)
Generic PnP monitor

#2 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

While it could be the CPU being on the low side, I suspect it is the Intel graphics.
Since most laptops don't allow for upgraded video cards, you'd need a new system.
Try setting all of the graphical options to 'medium' or 'low' if they aren't already.

#3 Saketai

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

Pretty much the above. MWO is a very demanding game, and your laptop is far from powerful enough to handle it.

There's a section of the forums dedicated to hardware that you may want to browse. Mostly about desktops, but worst case, you can start a new thread. Good luck.

Also, thanks for posting your specs with the OP. It helps.

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:08 AM

I also play the game on a laptop. It runs ok, unless I try to play while not directly plugged into the electricity network. Then the laptop goes in some kind of energy limiter modus and the game almost turns into a slideshow.

#5 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:27 AM

Make sure your Power Plan is set to Performance or equivalent. Also, I personally shut down unnecessary background services and processes (including explorer.exe) while I'm playing to save memory, but since I have 8GB it's more of a placebo. Also set MWO to High Priority if it isn't already. Other than that, good luck. Playing this game on a non-gaming laptop is a bit of a pain, but I'm finding it manageable. You might notice lower FPS when looking at smoke, fire, or fog, or thermal/night vision. I get 10-20 fps in those conditions, so I avoid them like the plague.

#6 Death Metal

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

Intel HD graphics means that you are using "integrated" graphics, meaning you do not actually have a graphics card and you are using the built in chip in your CPU. As most laptops do not have the capability to have CPU and/or GPU upgraded you have to rely on lowering settings. Adding RAM or switching to an SSD is a possibility, but I highly doubt that would increase your mechwarrior framerate because im certain your bottleneck is the the fact that the whole game is running from your CPU.

#7 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

Your CPU is alright, but your graphics card is inadequate for gaming. Are you sure your laptop doesn't have a second graphics card? Most laptops come with two graphics card, one "integrated" for low-power stuff and one "dedicated" for gaming and other demanding applications.

Some laptops only come with integrated graphics card and if that's the case, I'm afraid you can't play MWO.

#8 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

I play on a Toshiba Satellite with an AMD A6 CPU and an integrated graphics card that shouldn't be able to play Of course, I get an FPS of 6-10, and never go over 20... but I can play an effective LRM mech on lowest settings across the board. It can be fun most times... frustrating as all getout others.

#9 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

When I run dxdiag, it only shows one graphics card. The machine works pretty well for Arma 3, Shogun 2 total war, Skyrim, and Dishonored.

It would probably be too much to hope that it has room for another graphics card.

#10 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

MWO likes CPU in the 3+ ghz range at a bare minimum, and integrated grfx is definitely not helping.. btw you cant compare MWO to any other game that you consider playable. MWO is its own monster

#11 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

COnsider that even if the numbers look good on paper, even a 760m is significantly weaker than a low-end desktop gaming GPU. The reasonfor that is that the components are stripe of a lot of performance to keep the energy drain low. My i5 runs at up to 75W, a similarly rated CPU performs more in the 15-20W spectrum, significantly reducing it potential performance.

Just to drive the point home, the GPU in my laptop (GTX 550m) is significatlymore modern than my dektop GPU (GT 330), but my desktop outperforms it by miles.

The other thing is that MWO is not super well optimized, part due to how the CryEngine behaves, part due to poor VFX optimization.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users