Advice for a mechwarrior rpg campaign?

2 replies to this topic

#1 ScientificMethod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

First off, I'd like to say I know nothing about running a mechwarrior rpg, I've done plenty of d&d/pathfinder but I feel like it's time for something different (and maybe use up some of this "beta status pending" energy I have pent up). I'd like to introduce my roommates to battletech but they're used to d&d/pathfinder rpg's. If I just beg them to play the tabletop game with me I'm sure they'd either give up in confusion or get bored and not fully enjoy it.

I just picked up some of the "A time of war" series and some of the second edition series of rpg rules. What I'd like is to have a campaign where they play in and out of a cockpit, and mech combat may or may not be a focus for all of them. I've read somewhere that these rules are actually very good for combining the story of an rpg with the TT battles.

So far my plan was to have them be recruits off on some moderately small planet. Living the nice slow boring life, longing for some action. The story starts with a raid from pirates or cheap mercs that have come looking for a lostech cache. The somewhat doomed commander of the defending forces contacts the players once he realizes he can't defeat the attacking force. He lets them know that they have been secretly cataloging the recently discovered lostech cache. He wants them to get in there, grab the most valuable data/memory modules/etc and make a run for the spaceport (he'll try to draw off as much of the attacking forces as possible to give them a clear road out). At the spaceport the dropships are kept grounded by a rearguard force of some tanks and/or light mechs. (Group's first fight where the results matter). After that... I dunno.
I figure the first session will be building characters/introducing the battletech universe/maybe a fight in the simpods where they're stationed. Second session would be dodging around in a car getting to the lostech cache/quickly exploring it and trying to hack the mech's or hover tanks there (as well as seeing how they react to a group of technicians wanting to be protected). Third session (or second if things go quickly) would be getting to and fighting in the spaceport. Talking the dropship captain into lifting off immediately instead of just keeping his head down.

This leaves some plot points of them not knowing a traitor from high their ranks (since almost no one knew about the lostech cache). Figuring out a way to make a living now that their unit is destroyed (I'm thinking about having the captain drop them off when he lands on solaris or the blackmarket equivalent to solaris.). Having to protect/deliver their cargo with a decently powerful and unknown group pursuing them and it.

Any thoughts? Advice? Anything you all have to say would be very appreciated.

#2 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

fetch quests. lots and lots of fetch quests. primarily to draw away from the fact that your game is actually terrible because all of your budget went to voice acting and advertising

Edited by Battlecruiser, 23 June 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#3 ScientificMethod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hmmm well if I get Duncan Fisher to do the voice acting I'm pretty sure things would turn out alright. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users