How A New Heat-System Would Tame The Clans (And Other Mechs)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

The Heat-System we have now allows "High-Heat-Spike Alphas" which result in abominations like the Direstar.
But even if you dont push the limits you easily get Alphas with 50+ heat (Timberwolf with lots of Lasers).

My idea:

Limit the max heat a Mech can accumulate to 30 and increase heat-dissipation to 150%-200%.
This way you limit the amount of weapons that can be fiered without taking the pace out of
combat and promote weapon-diversity.

Make all DHS to true DHS, but they dont get benefits from the Perks "Cool Run" and "Heat Containment".
Increase "Cool Run" to 20% (40% if Elite) and change "Heat Containment" to a
2 Max-Heat Bonus (4 if Elite) only for SHS. Maybe SHS will then be viable for a few builds with these tradeoffs.

Edited by Moonraven83, 09 October 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#2 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

45 may be more reasonable.

MW3 was 30 or 40, and MW4 60. So somewhere between there should be fine. I also posted about this here and your suggestion definitely mirrors others like myself or Koniving.

I would say a 45 hardcap would be the best spot to test, where as "35" is a softcap auto shutdown unless over-ridden. Then add back in how too much heat affected the hud and radar like the old games. Some of the penalties such as speed decreasing or ammo explosions at a certain level could be simulated as well, per the actual TT heat scale, just more "lax" for a real-time game.

The hardcap heat capacity is exactly how it worked in the original games, which worked fine and wasn't overly complex and convoluted.

Then again a huge overhaul may not even actually happen so I'm skeptical at best.

Edited by General Taskeen, 09 October 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostMoonraven83, on 09 October 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Limit the max heat a Mech can accumulate to 30 and increase heat-dissipation to 150%-200%.

Let me stop you there. In a thermodynamic system like this, you can have negative temperatures (like, below the absolute zero of the system).

Let that sink in... a maximum heat level, or maximum anything regarding heat is silly. If you want high alpha, fine. But the stacking penalties will wreck you. (And technically this should deal ridiculous damage [like in override, you get damage for heat. this should do that, except more and faster])

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users