Primary And Secondary Weapon Subsets

2 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

Please give us a UI mechanic to mark primary and secondary weapons in a group. In the simplest form, this could just be another press of the Right Ctrl key to mark the weapon as primary for the group, secondary for the group, or inactive for the group. When I fire the weapon group, all of the primary weapons fire would fire together, until the last weapon finished firing, and then all of the weapons in the secondary set would fire together. When all of the weapons in the primary set completed their cooldown cycle, and if the fire button was still being depressed, the cycle would repeat.

This is slightly different from the current chainfire behavior, which fires each individual weapon sequentially. Although chainfire can work like this with small groups of 2-3 weapons, it falls apart when there are a large number of weapons in the group. EG, mechs like the Nova and the Hunchback 4P cannot fire all their laser hard-points as a group because the mechs will core breach, and they have too many weapons to fire them all sequentially one-at-a-time. Allowing the user to split the weapons into two subsets will provide much more flexibility.

I'm unsure how this would interact with chainfire. There are some loadouts that benefit from having multiple weapons in a chainfire group (like 3x AC5) but I dont see an obvious way to have both kinds of functionality operating simultaneously. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

In the interest of avoiding arguments, I would also expect the ghost heat rule for weapon groups to be preserved so that this mechanic could not be abused to bypass that mechanic.

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

In the early days of Mechwarrior each weapon in a weapon group could be assigned a bank number of one to six. All weapons in a fired group that shared a bank number would discharge, if the button was still depressed the next bank number would fire. The amount of control this gives pilots was very helpful and allowed people in the same mech with the same weapon load outs to configure the system to their own preferred type of play.

I seem to remember there also being the option to have the chain position reset to one on release of the button or to have the chain wait on the last unfired group? But it was indeed a very long time ago.

While I would like each chain group to have six banks to include each weapon in, Primary - Secondary - Tertiary would be a good split between what was in games of old and what we currently have.

Edited by XphR, 09 October 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#3 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Please get this feature in the game it is critical... if you have ever piloted a nova prime, you know what we need....please....help....us.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users