10 replies to this topic

#1 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Why does everyone hate conquest? Is it because everyone loves assaults and heavies? Or is it because the current rewards system promotes damage and kills (hence promoting assaults and heavies)?

Whatever the conflux of variables, just listening to the forum rage, one can conclude that most people think conquest sucks,

Let's try to make the lives of assault pilots a little easier. What advice do we give them to make conquest suck less? Maybe in the process we can lighten the matchmaker's load.

Fact of life #1: Conquest tends to spread the opposing forces. You need those points - at least as insurance against a red resource win.
Fact of life #2: Assaults (and heavies) love to blob. Especially the slow assaults. Is there anything more annoying to them than being ganked by two lights with a lower total tonnage than their own? So they blob to cover their insecurities and (literally) their backs. Which is actually wise.

So how do we cure the Assault pilots of their conquest phobia? Lets suggest to them some self-helping behaviors to help in their rehabilitation and recovery.

1) Don't blob with the lights and fast mechs. Blindly following those blue Doritos can still get you in trouble real fast. Especially if the three mechs you followed suddenly went GTFO.
2) Do blob with mechs as slow as you. But, more importantly, agree on bringing your combined firepower to a strategically important position of the map.

No map spoilers here--where you park your 80+ ton butts to deliver the butt hurt to the reds is your call, your responsibility, your win or loss. First team to find the opportunity to out-position their opponents will probably win.

live for the challenge
gl, hf
o7

#2 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

I don't hate Conquest, I dislike playing it with PUGs.

#3 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

I hate Conquest because it takes so damn long to cap a point that it's usually more time efficient to just destroy the entire enemy team. Oh and because it generally gives less C-Bills than Assault or Skirmish.

#4 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 09 October 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

I hate Conquest because it takes so damn long to cap a point that it's usually more time efficient to just destroy the entire enemy team. Oh and because it generally gives less C-Bills than Assault or Skirmish.

I think the reward system revamp will come sometime after the IS quirks pass - maybe PGI will give it better cbills/hour. I would like to hope they would.

#5 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Conquest plays pretty much the same as all the other game modes:

You death ball from point to point and murder any enemy stragglers or over-eager front-runners, and if you get really lucky the enemy splits a lance off to try to cap in force, giving you an easy 12v4 to start and a 12v8 to finish.

Once you establish absolute field dominance, you split up and turn any red points yellow, and maybe a few yellow points blue. This forces the enemy survivors out into the open, where you corner them and murder them.

Of course, if you get strung out and the enemy brings its force to bear together while your team is split, or worse, if you have a lance decide to go cap in force, then you will get a large edge in points, but will lose the land battle. Then, the enemy will scatter and prevent you from getting a capture win, often at the last second, and will end the match by murdering your last runners when they get flushed out by having to try to turn a point one last time.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

Because c-bill rewards are halved on conquest.

#7 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:29 AM

Because it's the only game mode that requires you to think a bit more than "find target, destroy target; repeat"?
And we all know how thinking may be hard and a real pain sometimes... :ph34r:

EDIT: you still earn C-bills for every cap point, but that means you have to cap to gain those (and that brings us back to my first sentence)

Edited by XtremWarrior, 10 October 2014 - 12:35 AM.

#8 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

I play all game modes and I often pilot assault mechs. I have no "conquest phobia" and I don't really understand people affected by this disease...

#9 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:48 AM

You play conquest using a Direwhale the same as any other game mode when in a pug. Pick a spot where you'll fight and probably die, cause there is no way you are going to reach the other cap points in time to matter. Theta is a good one. Just go to Theta. :lol: Well, except in Frozen City I guess. :wacko:

You don't have to stand in there just make sure your guns can shoot whatever is.

Edited by Elizander, 10 October 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#10 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

Well if you look at your profile > stats > challenges, you might see tommorow's upcoming conquest challenge. Looks like PGI will be looking at a bunch of game result metrics soon.

#11 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:10 AM

All the Assaults should waddle to Theta following the other mechs on their team. Fast mechs should make sure they dont die and go cap another point when the Assaults arrive on Theta. Try and lure the other team to actually try and take the point while you run around and drop smoke on them.

After you take Theta park the Assaults there while others run around and kill the enemy stragglers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users