25 replies to this topic

#1 Nuke85

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

So I just downloaded the game again and remembered I had bought a founders pack so I have a catapult sitting in my hanger. Played a few games with it and didn't do so hot. Watched some YouTube and figured out part of it, if you lose your lock your missiles probably miss unless the other mech is dumb... so hopefully I can do better next drop.

One question I do have about the skills and mech chassis does the founder c1, count as a c1 or is it stand alone? If it does how's the k2? It looks like fun with those ppcs. The c4 just looks like a c1 with bigger missile pods. Does the a1 have builds that differ from the c1 and k2?

See ya in game

#2 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

First thing to realize about the Cat... it's soft and squishy and your 'ears' come off very easy. So being a brawler is not a great option. Being a fast flanker, or long range sniper or LRM boat is. Some success can be had with a Splatcat, but that's very limited and with the clan mechs, they'll turn your head into a canoe faster than you can take them out unless you're really good at being sneaky.

Best tip I can give if you're not in a group is to play that mech as if you would die with your mech. That means cautious, using cover and until you feel more in tune with battlefield awareness, stick with the low risk long game with PPCs, Gauss, ERLLs and LRMs first.

LRMwise, yes, they are not fire and forget. You must maintain lock the whole time or regain it or you will probably miss. Fire in full salvos and not chain fire if there's lots of AMS, and always always ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings as well as your targets, so start learning the maps in training grounds.

Speed is your best friend and mount jump jets because your mobility will be the difference between life and death in most cases.

Other than that, have fun.

#3 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

Welcome back!

Each of the models have very different hard points; the C1 and C4 have energy hardpoints, while the A1 has only missile hardpoints. The K2 and Jester are direct fire only, with the K2 having some nalistic hardpoints, while the Jester hero only has energy.

I like catapults for the variety of loadouts they can field. The A1 is my favorite LRM boat... I usually run it with 2xLRM20 and 4xSSRM2. 2-3 tons is enough SSRM ammo. Run it with as much ammo as you can fit for the LRMs. You will run out often. Also make sure you bring Beagle Active Probe. That will reduce lock times and defeat ECM at close ranges so you can target those pesky lights. For an engine, run a XL, somewhere between a XL245 and XL280. Don't forget to protect your arms!

My next favorite is the K2. I run it with 2xGauss and an XL engine. Strip out all the armor from arms, and don't put anything in them. People will often waste shots taking them out thinking they are taking weapons away from you. You can bring a couple medium lasers if you like too, but you will want to avoid close combat, as losing either side torso's armor usually results in a gauss exploding, taking your mech with it. 60 rounds of gauss is usually enough as long as you are being careful with your shots.

Good luck! Collecting mechs gets addictive!

Edited by Greenjulius, 10 October 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#4 Nuke85

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the replys already. Another question I had, how is the overnight population? I work night shifts so my game time is about 10pm till 6am central..
Hopefully my buddy gets into it as well, that would give me someone reliable.

#5 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:27 AM

I'm usually on during those hours. At about 2am you start experiencing the rise of the morning european units combined with what I call "Punks and Drunks" play. It's when the drunks who shouldn't be playing or the punks trying out things they shouldn't have or are just messing around and it creates abyssmal stompage. It seems also to be the hours in my experience where more connectivity issues arise. Dunno why... officially. You will see many people with very bad ping on till about 5am and this will become a problem for you because of lag shields not allowing you to see what is actually on screen. This is worse in the group queue because of the unit practices start up in the EU/Africa and those are some very good units that know how to handle their ping issues.

Before 2am central, things will be better.

YMMV

Edited by Kjudoon, 10 October 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

View PostNuke85, on 10 October 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

Thanks for the replys already. Another question I had, how is the overnight population? I work night shifts so my game time is about 10pm till 6am central..
Hopefully my buddy gets into it as well, that would give me someone reliable.

Decent sized. You'll also start pulling in australian and European players around the end of that shift.

Also, to answer your question about the skill tree, the C1(F), and C1. They count as the same. Just like the CPLT-A1(C) and the CPLT-A1 are the same.

#7 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

AND Kiwis!!!!

We always get forgotten

Edited by AH Keira_NZ, 10 October 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#8 Nuke85

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

One server for everyone? I didnt realize that. Keeps the pop up at the cost of ping guess. Where is the server anyway?
I love NZ, would love to visit there sometime.

#9 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostAH Keira_NZ, on 10 October 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

AND Kiwis!!!!

We always get forgotten

You just made RFMG's night.... day... whatever you got right now down there.

View PostNuke85, on 10 October 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

One server for everyone? I didnt realize that. Keeps the pop up at the cost of ping guess. Where is the server anyway?

Vancouver, BC Canada

IIRC

#10 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 10 October 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

who?

Its late night Friday, sun burnt today so no clubbing with the gfs for me tonight :(

#11 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 10 October 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

Actually daytime down there is the dark period and night time is when the sun comes out, so sleeping during a full sun is a thing you would have to get used to.
Plus they learn at an early age to walk using their hands so that they can hang on for dear life to prevent themselves falling off the bottom of the earth (I mean seriously... who would design a round world... proper worlds are flat discs ideally transported on the back of 4 elephants who are in turn standing on a Turtle shell).

Additionally all cars are right hand drive because you would also be driving inverted which means you have to sit on the other side to see the middle of the road;
http://www.youtube.c...hfSiYQQF4#t=113

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 10 October 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#12 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

View PostAH Keira_NZ, on 10 October 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

who?

Its late night Friday, sun burnt today so no clubbing with the gfs for me tonight :(

He's one of our Kiwis in the Seraphim.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:02 AM

I still use my C1, and it still does great. 4 medium lasers, 2 LRM15, JJ, 300xl engine. The K2 is a solid chassis as well, for either PPCs or dual ballistics. C4 and A1 are not as desirable

Welcome back :)

#14 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:04 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 10 October 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

I still use my C1, and it still does great. 4 medium lasers, 2 LRM15, JJ, 300xl engine.

Welcome back :)

You don't swap out an ML for a TAG? I prefer 2-3 JJs too.

#15 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 10 October 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

You're not the one who's supposed to TAG targets for you. Too much exposure.

#16 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 10 October 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Not sure exactly how many JJ, it's probably 2. And yes, I do just fine without the TAG, and I can secure close range kills much easier with a solid 4 ML. Plenty of heatsinks so I can keep those 4 ML firing. If I had another hardpoint to spare a TAG would be great, but I'm really used to those 4 MLs.

View PostNuke85, on 10 October 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

The server is in Montreal, Canada.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 10 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostNuke85, on 09 October 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

So I just downloaded the game again and remembered I had bought a founders pack so I have a catapult sitting in my hanger. Played a few games with it and didn't do so hot. Watched some YouTube and figured out part of it, if you lose your lock your missiles probably miss unless the other mech is dumb... so hopefully I can do better next drop.

One question I do have about the skills and mech chassis does the founder c1, count as a c1 or is it stand alone? If it does how's the k2? It looks like fun with those ppcs. The c4 just looks like a c1 with bigger missile pods. Does the a1 have builds that differ from the c1 and k2?

See ya in game

Try Smurfy. It will give you plenty of information.

Currently, with the C1 you have 2 missiles (arms) and 1 energy per side torso with 2 CT energy. This is my non-founder's.
Posted Image

And my Founder's.
Posted Image
The A1 has NO energy hardpoints, but comes with 3 missile hardpoints per arm (6 total).
Posted Image
The K2 has 4 energy and 2 ballistic hardpoints.
Posted Image

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 10 October 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

AND Kiwis!!!!

We always get forgotten

Yes, Kiwis too .... I guess.

#19 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 10 October 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Not sure exactly how many JJ, it's probably 2. And yes, I do just fine without the TAG, and I can secure close range kills much easier with a solid 4 ML. Plenty of heatsinks so I can keep those 4 ML firing. If I had another hardpoint to spare a TAG would be great, but I'm really used to those 4 MLs.

The server is in Montreal, Canada.

They're still using IGP's servers? I thought that was part of what the whole server migration was for, to move it to Vancouver. Well, it explains my lower ping then... kinda.

Edited by Kjudoon, 10 October 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostDivineEvil, on 10 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

You're not the one who's supposed to TAG targets for you. Too much exposure.

I always BYOT.. it is worth it.. as for to much exposure,, i disagree, sure some times on poptart sniping, but with good tactics you can easily be launching and spotting for yourself.. Besides LRM's at 300-400, work awesome.. how often do you see mechs battling it out in a brawl, and you can just come out of cover and fire away, Join the fray and have fun!

perhaps it is my ELO,, but i don't see an issue with that..

as for late night, it is fun.. though i can say i have piloted my mech after having a few to many.... sometimes i have good matches, others not so much :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users