- - - - -

Lag Shield

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin X

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

What is lag shield? I have seen other refer to it in these forums, about not being able to see what is actually going on because of it.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

According to google images, its this:

Posted Image

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

It takes time for two computers to communicate.

Frequently less time than people can track on their own - but also frequently not

When it takes to long - things start to lag behind.

When someone is lagging to far - it can be harder to hit them in game.
When someone is doing this - it is known as lag shielding

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostRonin X, on 10 October 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

What is lag shield? I have seen other refer to it in these forums, about not being able to see what is actually going on because of it.

It refers to players who have a very high ping (say 400 or more) who become hard to hit because where you see them in your cross hairs is actually where they were 400 milliseconds ago.

Noone seems to complain that it also makes it harder for them to hit you.

Edited by Appogee, 10 October 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#5 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

Lag Shielding was a much bigger problem before HSR was introduced. There was a time when a light mech with a 300+ ping almost literally couldn't be hit because their actual position was SO far displaced from where you were seeing them.

#6 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

I've seen people using it to refer to whatever is making most damage aimed at quickly-moving light mechs not register. Although I suspect a lot of it is that it's legitimately hard to keep the reticle over them or lead properly with SRMs.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

If the Centurion would move quadropedal it would have a Leg-Shield.

Joke aside: Lag-Shield is a synonym for anything that makes you miss clear hits or do negligible damage on fast mechs (usually Lights), Mechspeed, Ping, Package loss can increase the Problem to hit them or make hits count.
Any Weapon with Dot or Burst or Spread damge has a gratly reduced efficiency when you try to hit these fast Mechs.

That is why Gauss+PPC+IS-AC20/10 or multiple IS-U/AC5s be the best weapons against Lights as they do full damage if they hit and the hit counts,

Especially the IS-AC20 is a wonderful Anti-Light Weapon if they get into its range.

Edited by Thorqemada, 10 October 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

With 250 ping and no HSR, others had trouble shooting me, but so did i...
Works both ways, sadly...

#9 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

Lag shield hasn't been as bad as it once was in a long time, and I don't even get desync like I used to for a while there.

Lights used to be really difficult to damage because at anything past a certain speed they would be in a different location than they appeared to be. I've even seen a bit of rubber banding, but that was a while ago too. Host state rewind more or less corrected lag shield and implemented the all-new amusement of dying from shots you saw miss you. It's better mechanically, but a bit funny and illogical to look at sometimes.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

I can't really say that it's beneficial to high ping players. I play on an average of 300-400ms on most days and I gotta tell you my lasers deal almost no damage. If I play a light mech I get shocked when I do sub 100 even when I'm packing 5 medium lasers and surviving in a brawl for quite some time.

There are days where I pour a 9 Medium Pulse alpha (that's 54 damage each alpha) three times on a heavy mech (within 220 meters) and game only registers 60 after I die.

Edited by Elizander, 11 October 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

View PostRonin X, on 10 October 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

LAG SHIELD

'Shield' - Term a players use to describe other players having a 'shield' or 'barrier' either reduces or completely prevents them from taking damage.
'Lag' - often players that display this condition either have high ping or unstable ping or both.

The most obvious form of LAG SHIELD are when players mechs are rubber banding throughout the match.
The more subtle form is hard to see because even though you seems to be hitting them.. The damage just doesn't register or hit.

#12 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:49 AM

HSR doesn't totally negate lag. I still miss with my lasers against fast mechs even though i visually see them hit. The paper doll might not be accurate, but it's what i usually check if the shot registers.

Edited by dragnier1, 11 October 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

"Lasers can't penetrate our navigation shields."

In other words, lag (network lag in the game between you, the server, them, the server, etc.) causes weapons to NOT function against the player with a lag shield.

(Example: Picture any standard human shooter. You fire 5 sniper shots into their head, throw a grenade, etc. They are still alive, suddenly behind you, and you're already dead before you realize what happened).

#14 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:13 AM

Light mechs move so fast and the hit reg in this game is off so it looks like ur doing no damage

just because ur crosshairs go red doesnt mean u did more than 1 damage

#15 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 10 October 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

According to google images, its this:

Posted Image

That really cracked me up. +1! :lol:

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 October 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

It takes time for two computers to communicate.

Frequently less time than people can track on their own - but also frequently not

When it takes to long - things start to lag behind.

When someone is lagging to far - it can be harder to hit them in game.
When someone is doing this - it is known as lag shielding

Yep, Shar's right!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users