- - - - -

Mech Speed

9 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel Dino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I know that the Engine type alters the speed of a Mech. However, let's say I choose not to use a certain Mech's allotted maximum tonnage; can I increase the speed of my Mech if I don't use all of its weight? My Summoner has 70 tons of weight, but I only end up using 68. I know I could use extra ammo or heat sinks, but can I transfer that extra weight to the speed of my Summoner to go faster than 81kp/h?

#2 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Currently, how much tonnage you use does not affect the speed of your mech. Therefore you should always use all available tonnage.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

The original rules state that any unused tonnage is considered "wasted" and the 'Mech, however much of its maximum weight is unused, is always treated as if it were its maximum weight (contrary to the way things were in MW4:Mercs).

...If you want the exact current weight of your 'Mech to dictate the speed from an engine, you should play MechWarrior for the SNES. ;)

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Nope. The engine size per ton is all that determines how fast you are.

So throw on 2 more tons of equipmet.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Battletech has never worked this way, and it would allow for all kinds of unbalanced things (stripping 10 tons off an Atlas to exceed its' maximum speed but keeping the armor of a 100 ton mech, etc)

There are fluff reasons why, specifically pointing out that mechs use myomers to move their limbs with electrical power from the engine and the speed for this is set at the factory, not merely a factor of horsepower vs weight like a combustion engine.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:17 AM

There is no benefit to being underweight.

#7 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

View PostArchangel Dino, on 11 October 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

I know that the Engine type alters the speed of a Mech. However, let's say I choose not to use a certain Mech's allotted maximum tonnage; can I increase the speed of my Mech if I don't use all of its weight? My Summoner has 70 tons of weight, but I only end up using 68. I know I could use extra ammo or heat sinks, but can I transfer that extra weight to the speed of my Summoner to go faster than 81kp/h?

The reason Engine is a direct agent to determine the mech's speed is a technological aspect of the mech' movement within Battletech universe. All BattleMechs uses a semi-organic strands of myomeres (artificial muscles) in smaller or bigger knots depending on mech's weight in torsion formations, which allows to implement ammo transfering systems troughout the mech, while also not allowing 360 angle freedom rotation of any of mechs components. Those myomeres are activated by large voltage currents, thus the ability of mech to move faster is directly dependant to the Engine power output, regardless of what mechs' overall weight is. What mech's maximum speed is what it can maintain without damaging itself based on it's structure and myomere's intergrity and hard-wired into the mech, unless MASC system is in play.

It's also necessary to note, that mech's tonnage is not a parameter, that determines the overall weight of the mech itself, it's only the notion of mech's capacity to carry a certain amount of equipment and armor atop of its frame. The mechs themselves can be as much as ~3-8 times heavier than the tonnage they're capable to carry, which does not include the frame, myomere system, circuitry, ammo transfer equipment, gyro and computer network. 10% of the mech tonnage, that is by default occupied by internal structure is just an endoskeleton reinforcement, which everything is attached to.

Edited by DivineEvil, 12 October 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#8 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostDivineEvil, on 12 October 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

The reason Engine is a direct agent to determine the mech's speed is a technological aspect of the mech' movement within Battletech universe. All BattleMechs uses a semi-organic strands of myomeres (artificial muscles) in smaller or bigger knots depending on mech's weight in torsion formations, which allows to implement ammo transfering systems troughout the mech, while also not allowing 360 angle freedom rotation of any of mechs components. Those myomeres are activated by large voltage currents, thus the ability of mech to move faster is directly dependant to the Engine power output, regardless of what mechs' overall weight is. What mech's maximum speed is what it can maintain without damaging itself based on it's structure and myomere's intergrity and hard-wired into the mech, unless MASC system is in play.

It's also necessary to note, that mech's tonnage is not a parameter, that determines the overall weight of the mech itself, it's only the notion of mech's capacity to carry a certain amount of equipment and armor atop of its frame. The mechs themselves can be as much as ~3-8 times heavier than the tonnage they're capable to carry, which does not include the frame, myomere system, circuitry, ammo transfer equipment, gyro and computer network. 10% of the mech tonnage, that is by default occupied by internal structure is just an endoskeleton reinforcement, which everything is attached to.

Long story short: The engine doesn't determine how fast a mech goes, the myomers do. Trying to make a mech go faster by leaving weight off is like putting a bigger engine in a car but locking it into first gear.

#9 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

'mechs have a minimum-maximum allowed engine they are able to carry. As the other commenters mentioned "Just because you don't max out the tonnage of your mech doesn't mean the unused tonnage will make your 'mech go faster or be any more nimble" and "unused tonnage is wasted tonnage" so it's always best to max out your allowed tonnage with equipment/armor/weaponry/engine size.

I hope this chart/site helps you out with any other questions but if it doesn't, don't be afraid to ask. We're always willing to help clarify anything related to the game.

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Engine

#10 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

The only way to convert tonnage into speed is to equip a bigger engine. This is impossible with Clan Mechs though, since PGI decided to lock their engines.

Other than equipping a larger engine, there is no way to increase your Mech's raw speed. You may, however, increase a Mech's acceleration and deceleration by completing its Basic Leveling. Once you have fully Basic'ed three Mech Variants of the same chassis, you can begin Eliting them. There is an Elite skill called "Speed Tweak" that will boost your Mech's raw speed by 10%. That is the only way to increase your speed outside of equipping a larger engine. Once you have finished Eliting all three Mechs, a 2x modifier will be applied to all your Basic Skills, doubling their effects on your Mech.

Outside of the Elite Skill, Speed Tweak, and larger engines, there is no way for you to improve your Mech's speed.

Hope this helps! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users