13 replies to this topic

#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:42 AM

OK back in the way back when days of MWO heat vision use to be great, so much so that it would work during night, for sniping, and for seeing in smoke areas. Now after they did a patch that made heat vision no color coded but white and black scale they also cut all vision modes other then normal to 400 meters or something like that. The reason why they did it I understood because the original heat vision was being used instead of advanced zoom.

BUT!

The current heat vision doesn't see through the smoke and steam stacks anymore, neither vision can see the arty and air strike smoke, and the range war that is fought on some of the maps makes these other visions mediums pointless to use. So I have a few questions because maybe I am not using them correctly or maybe we the community to ask for PGI to put it on their list of things to get re-worked after Community Warfare?

Questions:
1.) Heat vision, what are the maps you use it on and why?
2.) Night vision, what are the maps you use it on and why?
3.) Are their tricks you use with either vision and what are they?
4.) If you wish it would be changed how would you want it done?

Here is a trick that worked but does not anymore; when on caustic valley if you are near the caldera looking across through the steam/smoke stacks you use to be able to turn on heat vision and would be able to see the enemy mechs outline on the other side of the caldera through those same stacks even clearly (or I should say clear enough to know the outline off of the enemy mech heat bloom).

Another trick I have seen Sean Lang use on Terra Therma was using night vision but when fighting in the caldera where I usually am I have never actually gotten to test it out.

Edited by clownwarlord, 12 October 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

I use heat vision to spot mechs at distance on Caustic. Also use it on Frozen City when it gets pea soup. Night vision on Terra Therma can increase visibility of mechs against mountains sometimes. Night vision on River City Night if the fight is under 500 meters.

What bothers me tremendously is that night vision is worthless at distance. It is not that things in the distance become blurry, as that would be acceptable and understandable considering you are enhancing the given light. The problem is the vision justs end. Like someone drew a line in the grass and said "you shall not see past!" And it does so at a range that impacts mechs that happen to be set up for a 600+ meter fight.

Ref:
Posted Image
Limited field of view, but distance vision is still somewhat clear.

Or, even:

Somewhat foggy, grainy. But you can actually see. Not only see, but see out to the horizon.

What ends up happening, then, is that Night Vision gets bypassed by ramping up the brightness of the maps in the game settings whenever a night map is dropped on, which ends up doing a much better job at functioning like night vision than the night vision mode does. :\

That said, old Pred vision was simply too good.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 12 October 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#3 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

I use heat vision when it gives better contrast than the normal one, that's about 50% of the time. Night vision is just meh, imo.

#4 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Night vision is good for Terra Therma and River City Night (and sometimes on HPG). Thermal is good for the tunnel in Forest Colony normal/snow. That's about it

#5 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

Fine the way it is. Do not want to go back to sniper teams on comms ending the fight before it can begin.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

View Postclownwarlord, on 12 October 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

Questions:
1.) Heat vision, what are the maps you use it on and why?
2.) Night vision, what are the maps you use it on and why?
3.) Are their tricks you use with either vision and what are they?
4.) If you wish it would be changed how would you want it done?

1) I use thermal to exploit hot maps to see targets at long distance.
2) I use night vision on dark maps, but also to exploit the fact that night vision can see through most smoke.
3) See above.
4) This is gonna be a list.

First off, night vision. This irks me like you wouldn't believe. Night vision originally was a 'light' projected clientside only for you attached to a black/white filter, then a green filter. But it ignored all light sources.
The current night vision has a preset light map that ignores about half of the light sources and shadow effects. This is both good and bad, it's probably good for performance reasons, but bad because it breaks what you actually see.

Night vision should take all light sources into account, making bright lights far brighter (rather than 'kinda the same') and pure darkness should still be pure darkness. If there's no light, there's nothing to amplify.

The other thing is the color. After cycling many tints, I found orange to be the most pleasant night vision shader as opposed to green.

Now thermal.
I liked the old thermal, but hear me out. PGI FAILED in many regards as far as this goes. Black background, blue-grey objects, Blue to Red mechs... where's the logic in this?
Take a moment to look here.

Now watch until you see me firing into the water.
Think about this.
What if the water that you see was blue for cold, or light green for lukewarm? What if the air was light green? What if the mechs, slightly warmer (on the exterior) than the sky were light teal against green? What if hotter maps were orange or even red and your mech's 'cold' temperatures match the environment temperatures?

Posted Image
I know this isn't the actual thermal elements on the map but instead player movement frequencies, but think about this. Imagine a typical mech is light teal to yellow on thermal when cold, and red when hot. Compare this to the 'black or green background and players are Every Other Color' problem of the old thermal.

So what if on a cold map, shutting down made you invisible on thermals from the background's very cold blue temperatures?
What if being cold as a mech with 100% external heat transfer (so not the Hellslinger) on a cold map made your mech 'blue' against 'blue', but generating heat in the form of firing or moving would warm you up?

What if firing ballistics or missiles generated heat at the point of origin (where they shoot from)? What if firing lasers heated up the engine and the point of origin? What if moving did some slight heat at the reactor itself?

Think about these...

And night versus thermal imaging.

Now you'll notice, in the early section of this video black is hot and it contrasts starkly with the rest.
Consider this: The human body is always in the 97 degree F range within normal parameters.
Now consider this: A battlemech is constantly being cooled so as long as the reactor isn't actively putting out energy weapon fire and the other weapons haven't been fired for a bit, a Battlemech's external body temperatures should closely match those of the environment around it while the mech is at 0% heat.

So think about it. What if you could 'lose' your target against a backdrop in thermal, because their temperatures match? What if you were hunting an enemy that was already pretty cool and he shut off his reactor, so you walk right by him for him to turn back on and blast you in the back?

That's thermal vision done correctly. That's what I would like.

Edited by Koniving, 12 October 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#7 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

The reason heat vision was the way it was is, well...

Posted Image

Posted Image

It turns out that infinite nanovision is far superior to all other vision modes, so no one feels the need to play using them, reducing the game to bluewarriors. I easily spent 90% of my time in nanovision.

#8 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

wasn't keen on either way its worked tbh

As vass & mudhut say it was seriously overused and just about better for everything ihowever the nerf whereby yuou walk around in a black n white bubble is just silly.

I'd decrease the start of attenuation distance and increase it's end.

Thermal vision should technically see further, however for sake of balance I think it should get to be very difficult to impossible the further you're looking to see anything in detail.

I'd prefer anything to a simplistic blanket cut of distance on each map.

#9 specteral wolf

Rookie

• The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostSadist Cain, on 12 October 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

wasn't keen on either way its worked tbh

As vass & mudhut say it was seriously overused and just about better for everything ihowever the nerf whereby yuou walk around in a black n white bubble is just silly.

I'd decrease the start of attenuation distance and increase it's end.

Thermal vision should technically see further, however for sake of balance I think it should get to be very difficult to impossible the further you're looking to see anything in detail.

I'd prefer anything to a simplistic blanket cut of distance on each map.

not everyone does that and runs thermal all the time i for one do not and will possibly never use the thermal vision again because of how useless it is

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

These vision modes really could use improvement. At the very least we should get skills and/or quirks that increase the max range of these modes.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 15 May 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

These vision modes really could use improvement. At the very least we should get skills and/or quirks that increase the max range of these modes.

The problem is that the vision modes are free. That means they cant be better than regular vision mode.

I think mechs should get searchlights for free. But night vision and heat vision should cost skill points. And night vision and heat vision should be improved as a result of costing skill points.

They also need to darken the night maps more. Theres too much light on night maps.

Edited by Khobai, 15 May 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#12 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

Given the fact that steam and smoke usually come from hot sources, most likely it's just gonna be a hot gas cloud for the thermal sensor, so I don't think heat vision should let you see through steam/smoke anyway.

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

View Postspecteral wolf, on 15 May 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

not everyone does that and runs thermal all the time i for one do not and will possibly never use the thermal vision again because of how useless it is

Answering a 5 year old post as if it was just made, how does that happen?

#14 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 16 May 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

Answering a 5 year old post as if it was just made, how does that happen?

View Postspecteral wolf, on 15 May 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

And they said that a USB Ouji board would be a waste of money...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users