13 replies to this topic

#1 d3d3y3

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Canada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

Greetings all, I have recently come into possession of several USB foot switches and would like to hear your thoughts on which functions you would program to them. These can be toggled functions, single press, or hot key combos. Things like free look, targeting, and vision modes come to mind but I'd like to hear from the community as most of you play more than I do and would have valuable input on this... There are 6 foot switches at my disposal.

#2 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

Set all six to macro manual override followed by alpha strike. Stomp when you get mad.

#3 d3d3y3

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hmm... considering that I'm almost always mad, this isn't the worst idea...

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Weapons groups.

For me I can only manage about 4 groups with my mouse and keyboard comfortably anyway. I would set up foot triggers to manage the full 5-6 groups to allow for greater flexibility in what weapons I want to fire, when.

Also JJs comes to mind.

#5 d3d3y3

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

Weapons groups are a good idea. I almost exclusively pilot light Mechs so 3 groupings is usually the most I use. I've also considered equiping TAG (which I've never used) as the toggle function of the switch would lend itself well to this.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

I use these as well (and have a related thread here: http://mwomercs.com/...pedals-for-mwo/

I tried a lot of things. I've got 3 foot pedals, but one didn't work terribly well and was eventually given to The Minions for their stomping enjoyment.

The two that remained? One is assigned to Fire Weapon Group 4, the other to Override Shutdown.

I tried using them for other things, such as you suggested, but these worked best for me overall.

If I had another working switch, it would absolutely be for Jump Jets, though - I LOVE stomping on a foot switch for JJ's. But it's easy to use the spacebar for JJ, whereas Override is difficult to reach in the heat of combat if needed.

#7 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think a lot of mechs, particularly the heavier ones, benefit from having access to 4 weapon groups. If you don't have a mouse that lets you do that, mapping weapon groups to pedals isn't a bad idea at all.

#8 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

IIRC in several of the novels they describe mechwarriors "stomping down" on foot petals to activate jump jets.

#9 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Foot pedals are great for things like "Push-to-Talk"............ oh wait. ;)

JJs make sense.
Full Throttle
Full Stop

#10 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

I would map one to brake (X)--it seems natural to me and it would help with the try-to-stop-cha-cha on slow mechs.

Armlock is an interesting idea, but having that near the movement keys feels natural to me. It's also something that I'd want to be able to chord with other things I might want to map to the pedals.

Module zoom would be another one to have on pedals.

Depending on the macro capabilities of the software, vision mode toggle might be nice.

#11 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

View Postd3d3y3, on 13 October 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Weapons groups are a good idea. I almost exclusively pilot light Mechs so 3 groupings is usually the most I use. I've also considered equiping TAG (which I've never used) as the toggle function of the switch would lend itself well to this.

Well if your using up to 6 groups you can really micro manage your firing sequences and heat which could be very beneficial if you actually developed the skill to go along with it. However, your right that the mechs with the best benefit out of this would be mechs like the Stalker and Dire Wolf who can have many different types of weapons to deal with.

#12 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

JJ, ECM toggle, override, shutdown... lol

#13 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

TAG. Use the foot pedal to activate a weapon group assigned solely to TAG.

#14 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

left/right foot turns, override, consumables, and jumpy jets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users