• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 22 October 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

I heard that argument before ;)

Maybe you better reread it again, as you seem to have blown through the major points:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3458877

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3481209

Edited by Goose, 22 October 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#102 EnzyteBob82

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Just wanted to provide an update and my final thoughts on this topic. First off, probably all of you have more knowledge than me on these things. I'd like to say thank you for the input and advice.
:)

After the upgrades I made, I am now running the game with everything on ultra, and getting perfectly smooth game-play. It doesn't stutter or hiccup at all, unless the issue is a latency hit from the broadband, which is rare. The upgrades weren't cheap, but the results were well worth it. Not just for this game, but for the next year and half I'd say too.

Started with a cross hair that would stutter while tracking targets, and an environment that wouldn't transition smoothly. This setup was not acceptable to me for a nice gaming experience. I don't like dying because my hardware is limiting my ability to aim.

All @ 1080p on 42" LED TV 120Hz
Went from Settings on Med, DirectX9. Shadows on low and these hardware specs:

Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD3 (Rev. 1, 125w only)
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Ram
AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.4Ghz
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm
Windows 7 64 bit
MSI HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozer II unlocked to 6970

To this. Setting on Med, Directx9, Shadows on Med. This stepped it up to almost a perfectly smooth refresh rate, with very minimal skipping like I had before. But still not to my liking.

AMD Phenom II x4 970 @4.1Ghz (just an overclock)
Samsung Evo 500 GB SSD ($250 on special)

This upgrade got me to HIGH settings with shadows on Med. Marginally worse frame-rates, but still playable.

AMD FX 8350 @4.0Ghz ($159)

And finally, Everything on ULTRA settings, smooth as butter. Directx11

Zotac Geforce GTX 970 ($329)

From what I went through, I would say the game does indeed suffer heavily from an under powered CPU. I made the biggest gains IMO from the CPU upgrades. I feel like the video card only made a difference when trying to achieve the upper end of the graphics spectrum.

On a side note, I had never heard of Zotac before. I only got one because it was the only 970 I could find on the internet for that price. I've had MSI, PNY, and ASUS cards before. This card is on the same level of build quality as any of those brands. Its running great.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by EnzyteBob82, 22 October 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#103 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostRadioKies, on 22 October 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

… and maybe get memory that's compatible with the CPU speed, MHZ and low Cas timings. Maybe it's because how AMD has the memory controller in the CPU, but my CPU performance (with benchmarking) is quite dependent on the speeds my memory is running on.

[insert double-take here]

What kind'a changes are we talking about?

#104 Pet Dude

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Nothing wrong with Zotac. I always look at individual card reviews. Even established companies like ASUS can have a bad model.

#105 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

Don't bother upgrading for MWO. You will be very disappointed.

#106 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostGoose, on 23 October 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

What kind'a changes are we talking about?

Change in MHz and in Cas (not just cas, but all the standard timings).
Going from 5-5-5-28 to 4-4-4-12 gave a boost with Everest/Aida64 CPU benchmarks and going from 667mhz memory to 800mhz also helped. I don't have any comparison shots or saved some statistics in a file, but I thought it was 5 to 10% with both a timing and MHz upgrade/overclock.

But to come back to the main issue, CPU is the biggest bottleneck in this game as it stands now. I "laughed at" a clanmate for replacing his quad core 3.0mhz with a dualcore 4.2mhz intel cpu and his game went from unplayable on low to increase all the settings!

MWO might have some multithreaded support, but the issue is that the biggest calculations are done on one core. Also, the cheapest and quickest way to get at least 15fps (I get about 25fps) more ingame is to use shift+f11 (disable hud overlay). Sure it is hard to shoot as hell, but just use a mech with armlock and a TAG to know where you're aiming at.

#107 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

6 Haswell cores at 4GhZ pretty much eliminates any CPU bottleneck (I can confirm, as I am now completely GPU bound... with a GTX 980).

#108 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

got some graphs and settings?

#109 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 November 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

got some graphs and settings?

No graphs. Very high everything w/ postaa @ 1920x1080. Haven't tried the other aa settings yet. I also have DSR on (but only at 1.2x right now, wanted to make sure performance didn't quickly tank). My FOV is also set at 70, which contributes a few more polygons, along with turning off color grading and film grain via the user.cfg.

#110 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

You can disable film grain via the normal options menu ingame, just like cockpit glass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users