Stock Mech Game Mode

9 replies to this topic

#1 norwoody

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

new players with new mechs dont have a role in this game except to recieve damage. if i get 100 damage i am lucky but usually lose. need a stock mech battle mode to give new players a chance to do something in this game. ready to quit because it is too frustrating getting massacared by clan weapons and shooting back with med lasers.

#2 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

We, the hardcore stock community, have campaigned for a long time norwoody.

Your post is proof positive though, as a new player, that stock mode would indeed be a positive thing for new players and retention, so you don't have to get blasted apart by people with Uber Mechs and those with deep wallets.

#3 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

This would only further divide the matchmaking system for a mere gameplay "mutation." (Not to mention, stock mechs suck ass due to changed TT rules. Ammo and heat and the like)

I believe, at this point in time, we shouldn't have it, but it'd certainly be interesting to see when we have a larger playerbase.

#4 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

We should have had a stock mode from the start, it would have made the grind in trial mechs far more bearable.

#5 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostBurktross, on 14 October 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

when we have a larger playerbase.

IMO, I don't think there will be larger playerbase at all until stock mode is in. MWO has already lost tons of people that wanted it in from the beginning. Additionally by not having it at all, its potentially causing the loss of many new players such as the OP, norwoody.

Edited by General Taskeen, 14 October 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#6 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 14 October 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

IMO, I don't think there will be larger playerbase at all until stock mode is in. MWO has already lost tons of people that wanted it in from the beginning. Additionally by not having it at all, its potentially causing the loss of many new players such as the OP, norwoody.

If new players is the problem, it should be a "rookie" gametype only. After cadet, it's done.
----
Then again, that was the problem. Champion mechs are hella better than stocks, and trials are only champion mechs. Hell, even I jump in a trial every now and then, they're not that bad.

#7 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostBurktross, on 14 October 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

If new players is the problem, it should be a "rookie" gametype only. After cadet, it's done.

That alienates hardcore stock fans that have wanted it since the beginning of the game. That would simply be a slap in the face if its just a simpleton rookiee gametype. Stock Mode has been a staple of MechWarrior games. It offers more tactical, longer-lasting, and more realistic lore gameplay.

Edited by General Taskeen, 15 October 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 15 October 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

That alienates hardcore stock fans that have wanted it since the beginning of the game. That would simply be a slap in the face if its just a simpleton rookiee gametype. Stock Mode has been a staple of MechWarrior games. It offers more tactical, longer-lasting, and more realistic lore gameplay.

Then it ought to be kept for rookies only for the time being until matchmaker gets enough players to not take 15 minutes at a time to find a match

#9 RighteousDude

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

YES! great idea m8! Even for elite players this would be great entertainment. I'm sick of watching EVERYONE run the "Flavor of the day" cheese builds, ALL THE DAMN TIME. Stock 'Mechs boast versatility, a thing that most "PRO's" see as a con... I would play this game mode. I would play this till my eyes bled and my fingers chaffed. IMO, this is what it should have been all along. Because nobody wants to run the good stock mechs, it takes too many mouse buttons to operate. But when you want to make more money, you want to catre to more people, and you get the game as it is today. instead of something great. What's more, if they disabled the ELO system entirely, there would be no problems transitioning anything anywhere. This would be like any other game, where you're going to get good players, and you're going to get bad players. It happens, and the people that play those (way better than this game) games understand and accept that fact. But this ELO stuff... just aweful. Forcing me onto a team full of newer or more terrible team mates to keep me at a 1:1 W/L. On top of that, it encourages me to run "Cheese" builds to carry my team harder, as someone in some other post stated before. I want TEAMWORK in this game, a bunch of loan wolfs that think they're "An Army Of One"... because that's Call of Duty (horrible game) talk right there. This isn't Call of Duty is it? NO! This is MechWarrior Damnit, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS OR COULD HAPPEN SHOULD ENCOURAGE IF NOT FORCE TEAM PLAY. yet, I still see 1 in 300 people who use beagle active probe. "only good if you have streaks" omg... those people.... It's ALLWAYS GOOD NO MATTER WHAT, even if the bad guys don't have any ECM. If you tactically (and spastically) Hit "R" to target your enemies, you would recognize the benifits of having BAP IMMEDIATELY. don't have to wait for damage schematic to load, it's just "BAM, oh, he's open Right arm, i'll fire 1 ML at it and rip it off, conserving myself heat, ammo, and debilitating him at the same time" Tactical things like this.

P.S. EVERYONE IN PGI PLEASE READ THIS. and maybe all my posts. Because almost every situation talked over in these forums has something ridiculous to do with either ELO or people not playing as a team. "Model yourselfs after L4D" they had a 4 vs 4 player system that LITERALLY (Not half hazardly or figuratively) FORCED YOU TO PLAY AS A TEAM. GET VoIP running, eliminate the stuck bugs, and get rid of ELO, there's no point unless you're planning to go back to 4v4. which, on that note, wouldn't be a bad Idea either, have a "Match Me" button, to match you in a lance on lance game, or you can do the "classic launch" that only strickly adheres to the 4X3 rule and has nothing to do with player skill. because player skill sais nothing about what good you are for a team. (and from what I hear, the algorithm that is used has nothing to do with your teams efforts, or an individuals effectiveness in supporting a team effort)

Edited by RighteousDude, 15 October 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#10 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostRighteousDude, on 15 October 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

YES! great idea m8! Even for elite players this would be great entertainment. I'm sick of watching EVERYONE run the "Flavor of the day" cheese builds, ALL THE DAMN TIME. Stock 'Mechs boast versatility, a thing that most "PRO's" see as a con... I would play this game mode. I would play this till my eyes bled and my fingers chaffed. IMO, this is what it should have been all along. Because nobody wants to run the good stock mechs, it takes too many mouse buttons to operate. But when you want to make more money, you want to catre to more people, and you get the game as it is today. instead of something great. What's more, if they disabled the ELO system entirely, there would be no problems transitioning anything anywhere. This would be like any other game, where you're going to get good players, and you're going to get bad players. It happens, and the people that play those (way better than this game) games understand and accept that fact. But this ELO stuff... just aweful. Forcing me onto a team full of newer or more terrible team mates to keep me at a 1:1 W/L. On top of that, it encourages me to run "Cheese" builds to carry my team harder, as someone in some other post stated before. I want TEAMWORK in this game, a bunch of loan wolfs that think they're "An Army Of One"... because that's Call of Duty (horrible game) talk right there. This isn't Call of Duty is it? NO! This is MechWarrior Damnit, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS OR COULD HAPPEN SHOULD ENCOURAGE IF NOT FORCE TEAM PLAY. yet, I still see 1 in 300 people who use beagle active probe. "only good if you have streaks" omg... those people.... It's ALLWAYS GOOD NO MATTER WHAT, even if the bad guys don't have any ECM. If you tactically (and spastically) Hit "R" to target your enemies, you would recognize the benifits of having BAP IMMEDIATELY. don't have to wait for damage schematic to load, it's just "BAM, oh, he's open Right arm, i'll fire 1 ML at it and rip it off, conserving myself heat, ammo, and debilitating him at the same time" Tactical things like this.

P.S. EVERYONE IN PGI PLEASE READ THIS. and maybe all my posts. Because almost every situation talked over in these forums has something ridiculous to do with either ELO or people not playing as a team. "Model yourselfs after L4D" they had a 4 vs 4 player system that LITERALLY (Not half hazardly or figuratively) FORCED YOU TO PLAY AS A TEAM. GET VoIP running, eliminate the stuck bugs, and get rid of ELO, there's no point unless you're planning to go back to 4v4. which, on that note, wouldn't be a bad Idea either, have a "Match Me" button, to match you in a lance on lance game, or you can do the "classic launch" that only strickly adheres to the 4X3 rule and has nothing to do with player skill. because player skill sais nothing about what good you are for a team. (and from what I hear, the algorithm that is used has nothing to do with your teams efforts, or an individuals effectiveness in supporting a team effort)

Balance is already ****** with ELO, I imagine it'd get worse.
L4D and Battletech couldn't be farther apart in gameplay. You can't compare the two on anything but 3 levels. You (should) use teamwork. You shoot. And you move. That said, what separates MWO from other games by a large degree is its war of attrition gamestyle, not "i see u ur ded." That said, PGI will have to be more original than copying from a 4 player COOP (mostly) twitch shooter.

My primary problem with stock mech mode is that customization has, like it or not, become a part of the (Mechwarrior) franchise, and I fear that literally dividing the already small amount of players by a factor of 2 or more will have dire repercussions for the sake of what is more a "mutation" than a gametype.

TL;DR: Not an objective problem in theory and I myself have no personal dislikes to stock mode, I just fear how it'll end up affecting the playerbase and development times, as well as balance.
(Think: two drastically different approaches at mech balance-- PGI will essentially need a different ruleset for stock)

Edited by Burktross, 16 October 2014 - 10:46 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users