Question

5 replies to this topic

#1 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

Hi all,
With all the changes in the game i was curious how NARC currently works.

Do i just fire and forget?
What does it ACTUALLY do?
Does it give out information after it's run it's course or throughout it's running period and thus needs refreshing once it's run out?
Can I NARC all the opposing team and have them all show up for my team mates or do still need to lock for that to happen?
Do I need to maintain LOS? (seems to defeat the purpose but it's something i read).

Anything else i should know?

Thanks guys.
Psy

#2 Acierocolotl

• PipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

Hit the target with the NARC beacon. If you hit the target, he'll have a little "wireless" symbol visible to friend and foe, and anybody on your team can now get locks on him regardless of LOS. You won't need to do anything else, but it only lasts for a limited period of time, so you may need to refresh it. Trying to tag the whole team isn't reccommended, the beacons don't last long enough and the ammo is quite heavy for a light mech (the launcher is three tonnes, and one tonne of ammo is only 12 shots, I usually carry two tonnes).

Notes:
--The rocket is unguided, so you'll need to lead moving targets. There's a module which makes NARC rockets fly faster for easier hits and makes the beacons last longer as well. Yours for only 15,000 GXP and 6M credits.
--ECM blanketing your target will screen your NARC beacon.
--NARC beacons will, however, disable the ECM of the target you hit. This really, really means you need to prioritize Atlas DDCs, ECM Ravens, Kitfoxes with the C arm, and so forth.
--If you're playing in the solo queue, you'll need to exercise discretion when tagging targets. Solo LRM boats will often fire at the first quality lock they can get, so it's up to you to try and tag enemies that their LRMs might reasonably hit. On the bright side, solo ECMers are way less organized if they're even present at all.

#3 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:16 AM

More Notes:
- You do not need to lock the target or keep a LOS. The NARC beacon works for you as for the rest of the team; it allows you to get a lock if you wish.
- Duration is 30 seconds
- If you also carry a TAG laser, then the bonuses of the TAC and NARC stack

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/NARC_Beacon

A spotting ECM light with a NARC beacon and TAG laser can have a devastating effect when working behind enemy lines. be careful with the TAG though, it does give away your position.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostPsyrex, on 15 October 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Hi all,
With all the changes in the game i was curious how NARC currently works.

Do i just fire and forget?
What does it ACTUALLY do?
Does it give out information after it's run it's course or throughout it's running period and thus needs refreshing once it's run out?
Can I NARC all the opposing team and have them all show up for my team mates or do still need to lock for that to happen?
Do I need to maintain LOS? (seems to defeat the purpose but it's something i read).

Anything else i should know?

Thanks guys.
Psy

narc fires in a straight line

it highlightes the enemy Mech it hits for your whole team to see (and LRM), it also disables any ECM on the mech it hits

duration is relitavely short (I beleve 30 seconds)and the launcher has a long recycle (around 10 seconds)

when it fails you loose all benefit, so to regain NARC lock someone would have to NARC that Mech again

yes you can NARC the whole enemy team but with a single launcher the first NARC would have run out long before the final one activates, to NARC the whole team and have all 12 NARCed at the same time would require multiple NARC launchers

#5 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Pilots who NARC enemy mechs need to work in unison with their LRM boats. I like to NARC ECM mechs first, because the NARC cancels out the ECM. I would concentrate on one, or two targets simultaneously at most. Using Native American hit and run tactics to keep the opposing team from destroying you.

Good Hunting!

#6 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

A lot of times NARC will just seem to fail for no reason. This could be because:
(a) You didn't actually hit. It's a slow projectile with limited range. (450m)
(B) It was shot down by AMS. AMS doesn't animate shooting down NARCs, but it still works. If you want to NARC that target you either need to get very very close or screen it with some other missiles to get shot down instead.
(c) You hit, but they were under ECM. It doesn't show anything until the affected mech gets ouf of ECM range (there's no 'crossed out narc' icon or anything)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users