Lrm Versatility: Two Firing Modes?

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Please read, then post. (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel LRMS are fine as they are?

1. Yes (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Abstain (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Do you support this idea?

1. Yes (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. Other (Respond Below) (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Abstain (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Note: I am not trying to say that LRMs are unbalanced, or that I feel they are used incorrectly. I do not wish to offend any parties, and I am only trying to share an idea that I had, which I feel has the potential to benefit the gameplay of Mechwarrior Online. I am sure the actual coding for this idea would be difficult, and would take some resources, but I still wish to share it.

LRMs are an odd thing. Long range missiles that fire in an indirect arc, that require locks (or no locks, if the pilot can manage leading and estimating), and have the potential to saturate an area with damage, though on a smaller scale that artillery strike consumables and with greater precision. However, LRMs have always been a bit hard to work with in balancing; Some players loathe LRMs due to constant bombardment, and not liking people building LRM-boating 'Mechs, while other players see no issue with LRMs, and use them as they please.

Speaking of pros and cons, LRMs do have many weaknesses. AMS mitigates, and in some cases eliminates, LRM damage. LRMs require a clear firing arc to allow for all missiles to fly to the target without impacting terrain or other obstacles. LRMs will always fly in an arc, making it difficult to fire at a target at some angles. LRMs also require either the target to be spotted and locked by at least one ally, or the LRMs' shooter. There is, in addition, the minimum range of LRMs, which do 0 damage within 180m for IS launchers, and heavily reduced damage within 180m for Clan launchers. However, LRMs are the only weapon system capable of indirect fire, and locking a target greatly increases accuracy. LRMs also have a range advantage, and are capable of hitting targets up to 1000m away. As it stands, LRMs are used primarily for their indirect fire to hit targets at medium to extreme ranges, and are often carried in a small amount of large launchers, or more often in large amounts of smaller launchers. In many cases, it would seem to be that LRMs are mounted on 'Mechs that primarily use them, usually with very few or no backup weaponry, or LRMs are completely ignored in exchange for greater direct fire capability.

Well, what if LRMs could be fired in not just one, but two ways?

My idea is basically that; LRMs have the option of switching between direct and indirect firing modes. (I know something along these lines are currently in the works, as the devs have claimed to be trying to make Clan LB-Xs capable of acting as standard Clan ACs.) Either method of firing has its own advantages:

Indirect Fire
  • Very similar to what we have now
  • Allows for indirect, arcing shots
  • Lock on to targets for far greater accuracy
  • Features a slightly lowered missile speed
  • 'Mechs can use this to maintain fire support
  • Can be used in a more defensive method
Direct Fire
  • New firing mode
  • LRMs fire in a directly at the target, similarly to SRMs, but with LRM properties
  • Targets can still be locked
  • LRMs maintain their minimum range
  • Missiles, once fired, can make small course adjustments
  • Features an increased missile speed
  • Would allow for LRM usage in previously impossible areas (Such as tunnels)
  • Can be used to make LRMs much more offensive
  • Possible change: LRMs do not fire in large swarms (IE: LRM40+Splat-Cat)
This is just an idea I had, and I am curious as to how the community would feel about it. If you have anything you feel you need to ask or say, please post below.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

I wouldn't change the speed in either mode and I wouldn't put in a restriction for large missle swarms. There is no such restriction for any other weapon and LRMs are slow in comparison to everything else and spread their damage considerably. So there are already enough drawbacks.

I have my own idea for how indirect fire should work, so I'm not against a dual fire mode system.

#3 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'd love the ability to fire lrms in strait lines for fighting in the increasingly common indoors/underground areas.

#4 tripsangel

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA, WA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

i wish i could fire them at a higher arc
I've lost plenty of missiles because they don't clear what appears to me as a simple hill and yet they fly right into it
So if they had a firing mode for shooting high upwards and then coming down on the target that would be nice for me...

but straight in front of me? that's why MRM's and SRM's exist right? course we don't have MRM's yet.... darn engineer's....

no i don't think LRM's are quite right yet.... and i think firing in a tunnel is something LRM's should be able to do too if the target is far enough, without hitting the ceiling, that would be nice....

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Look at LRM now.

Less than 210m you are firing LRMs underground and not hitting the ceiling.

then below 350m the firing arch is lower than missiles going out to 1000m.

There is a reason why I like to fire LRMs 200 to 500 m. One is less time for them to get away or break lock if they are get out of sight. Then there is firing under the dish in HPG Manifold or crimson straits with the LRMs, and the comments on how I had a cheat code. As long as I keep it at a certain range, I will hit the mech and not the deck.

I was watching a video of my mech in a twitch stream over the weekend and I was looking at the ranges I was firing and the arch of the missiles. http://www.twitch.tv...pigmc/c/5277102
Try to watch the jager A in the match. For the first 5 minutes there is some longer range firing, then it changes.
start at 5:20 in the match and really watch at my angle of LRM travel. First on target M, then B. At the end to J, L and I.

The nice part about this is the streamer had me and the targets in the screen, so you can see the different path of travel for the LRMs.

#6 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

You can currently use lrms in the hpg basement of in the parking garage on crimson straits, however it requires you to be between 180 and 240 meters... which is very hard to maintain.

#7 Red Scorpion

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

I prefer taking up weapon module slots to enhance anything about LRM's like anything else. I support a direct fire mode but that takes the MRM slot purpose to some degree and we don't see those for a while for IS.

I support the whole minimum distance rule, maybe push for clan style minimum range damage debuff scaling. Or have to act like the weapon just fired so it can reload the LRM's in a different fire mode to accomodate a shorter range fuse length and/or directional path settings. So it's not instantly a new LBX20 you can fire indoors. Especially when you're caught off guard, go to change the mode and then wait for a reload to shoot the guy on top of you.

Either way, it's damage that hits hard and fast up close. Very hard not to make it capable of replacing ballistics or even SRMs as a primary weapon choice. You may see 100kph medium brawlers that slings at range and gets close in a moments notice.

#8 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

Not sure about multiple fire modes, but smarter missiles prior to arming (within 180m) would be nice. That is to say missiles that don't go strait into cave roofs or little hills.

#9 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

LRM's are a powerful force multiplier for those of us that know how to effectivly emply them.

I like like the idea of direct fire LRM's, and having indirect fire only available with a lock, I also support making locks getting harder to make and maintain, but that's a seperate issue.

Give me direct fire LRM's and I'll wreck people. I already do with 6x LRM5's and the rainbow trajectory, with or without AMS and ecm. Direct fire? Mmmm.

To be fair, I'd also love to have MMR's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users