How Weapon Cooldown Quirks/bonuses Work, And Why They Are Positive.

Balance Gameplay

24 replies to this topic

#21 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 October 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Two important bits of communication from PGI relative to this:
Posted Image
and
Posted Image

So, weapon cooldown rates are additive, and apply to the speed that the weapon cools down at, NOT to the cycle time. This is why they are positive: They are increasing the cooldown rate, not decreasing the cycle time. Well, they do result in a decrease in cycle time, but indirectly.

As such, +100% through quirks, modules, efficiencies etc will cause a weapon to cool down twice as fast - thus, it would halve the cycle time.

So, these +25 and +50% cooldown rate quirks are somewhat less as OMG as they appear.

Could someone with more brain cells than me explain how to easily calculate how a given cooldown bonus rate will impact cycle time?

Formula for Cooldown would then be :

Base Cooldown / 1 + (Bonus Percentage / 100)

So, if percentage is 67% and you have a cooldown of 3.25 seconds (hint : Pretty Baby), you get...

3.25 / 1.67 = 1.946

So that's just short of 2 seconds for cooldown for Pretty Baby's Large Lasers, in this example. Add in the "burn" time for lasers, clan LRMs and clan ACs and you have how long it takes for the weapon to be ready to fire again.

#22 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostMacksheen, on 18 October 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

I really should know more about when heat applies and ghost heat. Ghost heat applies at the beginning yes?

How does Ghost Heat apply?

On my Warhawk with it's 4 C ERPPC I can chain fire them and shut down, mean while, I can rapid fire 2 at a time and be left at like 90% heat..

And then sometimes I chain fire them and its 13-26-39-60......then I fire them again and its like 80...shutdown.....

Ghost Heat is very damn confusing for sure...

Is there like a window of time, like if yoy fire more then 2 inside of a 2 second time period or something?

#23 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 18 October 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

How does Ghost Heat apply?

On my Warhawk with it's 4 C ERPPC I can chain fire them and shut down, mean while, I can rapid fire 2 at a time and be left at like 90% heat..

And then sometimes I chain fire them and its 13-26-39-60......then I fire them again and its like 80...shutdown.....

Ghost Heat is very damn confusing for sure...

Is there like a window of time, like if yoy fire more then 2 inside of a 2 second time period or something?

It's a .5 second window that resets each time a weapon of that type is fired. Chain fire 4 PPCs .49 seconds apart and you end up with the same heat generation as a 4 PPC alpha strike. Chain fire them .51 seconds apart and there won't be any ghost heat. That's the reason rapidly chain firing AC 2s will melt you in a couple seconds (cumulative buildup of ghost heat equivalent to 20+ AC 2s alpha struck).

If I recall correctly it was the constant blinding and cockpit rocking that earned AC 2s ghost heat in the first place. So... yeah, .5 second window that is reset each time you fire. That .5 second window is one reason why lazy players (and some others) use scripts to chain fire .51+ seconds apart.

#24 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 18 October 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Maybe....

100 * weapon cooldown / x = y
(normal cooldown rate of 100%) * (time to cooldown at 100%) / (modified cooldown rate) = new cooldown time

ex. 100 * 4 (cooldown in seconds of random weapon) / 140 = ~2.86 second cooldown.
With elite skill: 100 * 4 / 145 = ~2.76 cooldown.
With 100% cooldown rate bonus: 100 * 4 / 200 = 2 second cooldown rather than 0 second cooldown.
At a 400% cooldown rate you still have a 1 second cooldown if the initial time is 4 seconds.

If it were a 40% reduction in cooldown time rather than an increase in cooldown rate, 40% would change the final cooldown to 2.4 seconds.

Then again, I may be horribly wrong. I've only put as long as it took to type this out into solving the problem.

Edit: Cleaned up a bit, added examples.

I'm not sure this is true. Actually I am pretty sure this is *not* true:

I have a DRG-1N which gets +25% + 25% cooldown on the AC5. Add in Level 5 Cooldown module (+12%) and Fast Fire (+5%) and you have +67% reload time total.

The AC5 has a 1.66 sec stock reload time.

The math here would reduce that to 1.00s (= 1.66*100/167) (original reload / new reload)
The other way to calculate it is "cooldown starts at 100%, quirks & modules reduce this %", which would make the new cycle time 33% of 1.66s = 0.553s

I have measured it in the Testing Grounds at < 0.6s - 11.25s for 20 reloads.

Edited by Voodoomancer, 28 February 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

It obviously stops us from putting SRMs in our shadowhawks, and LBXs in our founder atlases.

No it doesnt.

if youre already using an Atlas youre playing a suboptimal mech anyway.

So whats the difference if you play a suboptimal mech with a suboptimal loadout?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users