Starting From Scratch

25 replies to this topic

#1 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

I finally convinced my brother to give MWO a try. Hes said he was struggling to get to grips so he came over and i gave him a quick intro. Unlike me, he's totally new to all things mechwarrior.

Oh My Word! I'd forgotten just how much I take for granted. To say the learning curve is steep is an understatement. Below is a list of what we came up against, that i can remember. There were many more.

So, I hope he sticks with it. And I know there are resources and helpful people here on the forum, but I can't help but feel sorry for the players that try and just give up when faced with this 89.99deg, pure vertical learning curve. Also, picking out the basics for beginners is not straightforward. If you're new and don't know, how are you supposed to decide if its an important game feature to get to grips with right now or not?

1. Patches - Download and installation of 19 patches dented the enthusiasm for a new game
2. Trial Mechs - Are they his? Why then do they appear under owned filter? Why buy others if he has these? Why two currencies?
3a. Currencies - Why two currencies? How do you get MC? WHAT? $99?????
3b. Yet more currencies - XP & GXP what?
4a. Mech Lab - How do you know what weapons/kit you've got? Why can't I adjusted in the mech details screen? Armour values what? XL engines what?
4b. Hard points - Symbols for hard points. Explaining he had unused hard points. Hard point types. Hard points being something different from crit spaces.
5. Video settings - Where are they? Why do I have just a window? What screen res do I need?
6. What way are my legs? How do I know? What was that special button from the tutorial to centre up? Why did the tutorial give me a gazillion throttle options? What is best?
7. First/Third person perspective - Why do I have to play in 1st person? Why no peripheral vision? How am I supposed to see through explosions.
8. Targetting - How can see what? What is on the minimap?
9. Weapons - Will i run out of ammo? How do I know what ranges are? Why do weapons work longer than the stated range? What is damage? What is heat? Do I have enough energy for my lasers?
10. Weapon groups - Oh my, the weapons group matrix!! I didn't even attempt to explain how to set.
11. Weapon damage - how much damage does a weapon do? Whats an AC20? so SRM6 does 6 damage then?
12. Coloured triangles - What does blue mean? What does green mean?
13. Assault mode - So theres a base on this map right? Ah, so is this the base (rerfering to caldera in Terra Therma)
14. Environmental temperature effect
15. Heat/Night vision
16. LRM locks - Getting a lock. Handling non LOS shooting. That SRMs don't lock. but SSRMs do.
17. Damage - Is 40 damage good? Why did that mech die at 50% health? What components lead to death? XL not XL. Will it fall over if I kill its leg?
18. ECM
19. Spending CBills - How do I know what's good?
20. Factions/Forces
21. Spectating - Do i have to sit here and watch?
22. Queue proportions - Light mechs equals short queues
23. Mech weight classes - Explain that there are 4, tonnage ranges.

Edited by 5LeafClover, 19 October 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#2 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Just like first learning how to ride a bike.

-How do I stay up and ride at the same time?
-How do I turn without falling over?
-Do I need to worry about rolling backwards?
-How do I stop when the pedals go in reverse?
-Will my tires pop/spokes break if I weigh too much?
-If I stop pedaling will my bike suddenly stop and send me flying?

I'm sure if you teach him the basics of piloting/weapon operation-function and iron out any kinks (tedious details of how everything works) he comes across later on he'll get a better understanding of the game.

#3 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

i like the op's listing of getting into, it makes me recall my first steps with it. It seems like learning to ride a bike is much simpler than learn how to pilot your mech the right way :)

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 19 October 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#4 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Well.. there's learning how to ride a bike and then learning how to max out the potential of a bike.

View PostMagos Titanicus, on 19 October 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

i like the op's listing of getting into, it makes me recall my first steps with it. It seems like learning to ride a bike is much simpler than learn how to pilot your mech the right way :)

#5 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

I had never heard of Battletch before MWO, and I'm blown away at some of these questions. I get the hardpoint symbol confusion, but the rest of them... What do the blue arrows mean? Really? OK, I'm beginning to see how this game has player retention issues. Apparently some people don't understand the concept of "red" vs "blue".

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

On number 1...

I downloaded War Thunder not that long ago.
I downloaded a program for installing it. Very small.
I had to do 14 stages of downloading/installing. (They do this sort of thing to prevent corruption in the installs). Note that MWO's patches and War Thunder's stages are about the same thing; parts of the game being downloaded in sections.

After that, I was asked if I was interested in the high quality models / textures, so that was another download.

I've had similar experiences from a few other F2P games. So this is pretty standard.

(Reading further into the original poster's response... The list is about a very first experience with a Free to Play style game as opposed to built-to-sell games.)

Edited by Koniving, 19 October 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostColby Boucher, on 19 October 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I had never heard of Battletch before MWO, and I'm blown away at some of these questions. I get the hardpoint symbol confusion, but the rest of them... What do the blue arrows mean? Really? OK, I'm beginning to see how this game has player retention issues. Apparently some people don't understand the concept of "red" vs "blue".

On the Battletech subject, if you're interested... This thread has occasionally posted Battletech fights. Sometimes one on one, lance versus lance, etc. Including "Black Knight versus Grasshopper" (the heavy mech votes for which one PGI should work on first was virtually tied with 50/50 so we did this to show how they do against each other). The current big project is Phoenix mechs versus Clan wave 1.

It starts pretty basic, but later on fluff-text, details, and screenshots of the tactical situation(s).

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

A couple people here missed the big picture. This isn't just about his brother, its about the people who don't know anyone to teach them the ropes.

Some here just had to whip out their epeen. Not everyone has played multiplayer games before.

Lastly, if you loom down on others who haven't had the same experiences as you, then you are upside down.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

Far as prioritizing the list beyond what's rather basic and going to the important... (in other words downloading, currency, typical F2P topics and instead listing the important to MWO aspects to be taught).
This assumes that you are able to teach him in private matches or in a reasonable corner of the larger maps. Testing ground works too if you're in the same room.

2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 11, 17.

From there the rest should kinda be taught as they come up.

Edited by Koniving, 19 October 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Niko said they hope to update the knowledge base soon. I hope that one day the website itself will be able to answer the most immediate of these questions.

I for one always try to glean as much as I can from a game's own website before I start, and FTP games seems much worse than boxed titles for providing information I feel is necessary.

#11 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

That entire list can be answered by taking some time to watch YouTube videos (exept for the patch downloading, but that's pretty much normal nowadays -- see any operating system patch/update list). If you're not doing that for each and every game you think you might want to try, then you're doing it wrong.

Third-party videos and tutorials are always better than anything the developers of a game can come up with. Always.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 19 October 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

View Post5LeafClover, on 19 October 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

I finally convinced my brother to give MWO a try. Hes said he was struggling to get to grips so he came over and i gave him a quick intro. Unlike me, he's totally new to all things mechwarrior.

Oh My Word! I'd forgotten just how much I take for granted. To say the learning curve is steep is an understatement. Below is a list of what we came up against, that i can remember. There were many more.

So, I hope he sticks with it. And I know there are resources and helpful people here on the forum, but I can't help but feel sorry for the players that try and just give up when faced with this 89.99deg, pure vertical learning curve. Also, picking out the basics for beginners is not straightforward. If you're new and don't know, how are you supposed to decide if its an important game feature to get to grips with right now or not?

1. Patches - Download and installation of 19 patches dented the enthusiasm for a new game
2. Trial Mechs - Are they his? Why then do they appear under owned filter? Why buy others if he has these? Why two currencies?
3a. Currencies - Why two currencies? How do you get MC? WHAT? $99?????
3b. Yet more currencies - XP & GXP what?
4a. Mech Lab - How do you know what weapons/kit you've got? Why can't I adjusted in the mech details screen? Armour values what? XL engines what?
4b. Hard points - Symbols for hard points. Explaining he had unused hard points. Hard point types. Hard points being something different from crit spaces.
5. Video settings - Where are they? Why do I have just a window? What screen res do I need?
6. What way are my legs? How do I know? What was that special button from the tutorial to centre up? Why did the tutorial give me a gazillion throttle options? What is best?
7. First/Third person perspective - Why do I have to play in 1st person? Why no peripheral vision? How am I supposed to see through explosions.
8. Targetting - How can see what? What is on the minimap?
9. Weapons - Will i run out of ammo? How do I know what ranges are? Why do weapons work longer than the stated range? What is damage? What is heat? Do I have enough energy for my lasers?
10. Weapon groups - Oh my, the weapons group matrix!! I didn't even attempt to explain how to set.
11. Weapon damage - how much damage does a weapon do? Whats an AC20? so SRM6 does 6 damage then?
12. Coloured triangles - What does blue mean? What does green mean?
13. Assault mode - So theres a base on this map right? Ah, so is this the base (rerfering to caldera in Terra Therma)
14. Environmental temperature effect
15. Heat/Night vision
16. LRM locks - Getting a lock. Handling non LOS shooting. That SRMs don't lock. but SSRMs do.
17. Damage - Is 40 damage good? Why did that mech die at 50% health? What components lead to death? XL not XL. Will it fall over if I kill its leg?
18. ECM
19. Spending CBills - How do I know what's good?
20. Factions/Forces
22. Queue proportions - Light mechs equals short queues
23. Mech weight classes - Explain that there are 4, tonnage ranges.

I recently have to make a similar explaination to a friend.
Personally, I think some of the answer are quite straight forward and can be figure out in a couple minutes.

1. This is the nature of Online game; the long the game is in service, more patch are released. This can be alleviated by releasing updated client with latest patch built-in, or having an installer that download the latest patch while also downloading the client.

2. Think of Trial mech as test drive car, you get to play around in them for free but you will not own them until you buy one.

3a. The 2 currency in the game are;
CBill (virtual money), you earn this from playing the game, think of them as coin or gold in WoW or other online game.
MC (real money), you gain these by converting real money into the game, think of game tokens at your local arcade. You can exchange money into token but you cannot change them back to money.
To purchase MC, you can click on this icon Posted Image at the top of the forum.

3b. XP (Experience Point) represent how much experience you have gain with a particular mech, you use this to unlock skills on that mech.
GXP(General Experience Point) are free floating experience point that can be use on mech skill and pilot skill. You gain gain 5% GXP for every XP you earn, IE: 100XP = 5GXP.

4a. The detail screen in the MechLab only let you see an overview of your mech's loadout. To modify your loadout, you will have to go into the customization screen.

4b. Hard Point type are colour coded, he should be able to figure that out after a few minutes in the MechLab. The number next to the HP icon tell you how many unused HP are remain.

5. Settings can be found at the bottom right of the screen, you can switch between fullscreen or windowed there.
If unsure what video setting you should select for your PC, Medium is a good start and tweak them as you become more familiar with the game.

6. Look to your mini map in the center bottom during a match.
Your mech is the triangle in the center, it will always point at where your leg is facing, or you can refer to the dotted arrow pointing away from the triangle.
The bigger triangle or the slice of pie is where your torso is facing.
(I can't remember what is the default button for Center to Leg)
Throttle setting are like gear setting for your mech, the higher it is the faster it will go, much like a car (I pity the fool who drives automatic transmission).
Alternatively you can change the mode to throttle decay and your mech will act like it is on auto transmission.

7. MWO is suppose to be a simulation for piloting and fighting in a mech, first person/pilot vision best serve this purpose.
Third person/chase cam are an option for anyone who prefer to play in that mode. However playing in this mode, you lose access to some HUD fuction available to the pilot.
The same reason you cannot see through an explosion in real life.

8. Targeting is basically locking on to a target, press R to target the closest enemy to your corsshair. You can share target with a teammate if you do not have visual and vice versa.
Locking a target let's you scan it's weapon loadout and damage taken, locking also let you use homing weapons like LRM(Long Range Missile) and SSRM(Streak Short Range Missile) on the target.
Remember kids, PRESS R TO MURDER

9. Yes, you will run out of ammo for ballistic and missile weapons.
The optimum range of each weapon is display next to the weapon's name.
Energy and ballistic weapon can got further than their Optimum Range to deal reduced damage, this is call Maximum Range. Rule of the thumb for Maximum Range of weapon types are:
Energy, MR = 2x OR
Ballistic, MR = 2x OR
Missile, MR = OR
Heat are by-product of firing your weapon, heat build up is bad, just like it is in real world for car.
Your mech have unlimited energy to power your weapons as long as the engine is not destroyed.

10. There is 2 way to setup weapon group, the control for both way are the same however.
While in the MechLab, click on weapon group tab to see your weapons. Move the highlight using the arrow key to select a weapon and group, presst the ctrl key to assign the weapon to that group.
Or in a match, use the same arrow and ctrl key in the same manner to assign weapon to groups.

11. You can see a weapon's stats while in the MechLab, click on a weapon to see it's damage, heat, range and etc.

12. Blue are your friends, green are your best friends.
Red are evil bacon thieves that must be killed.

13. In Assault, you are preventing the enemy from capturing your base while trying to capture their. This is where the enginners process the bacon collected in Conquest into delicious breakfast food, protect them at all cost!
Or think of it as football/soccer/kickball, the base is the goalpost, your team scoring a Goal = GOOD, enemy scoring a Goal = BAD.

14. Hot map are hot, cold map are cold. They affect how fast your mech cooldown.

15. Mechs are hot and heat vision picks up their heat signature. Night vision amplifies light to give you enchanced visibily into the dark.

16. LRM and SSRM are homing weapon that require a lock-on to use, think missile on a fighter jet. SRM are like rocket or RPG, just point and shot.

17. Any damage that lands on the enemy is good damage, more is better.
The 2 most important part of the mech is the Center Torso that house the engine, and the Head that protect the fleshy pilot. Destorying either one will stop the mech; dead engine or dead pilot.
XL are special engine that extend into the Side Torso, destorying part of it counts as destroying the whole engine. (Special case on Clan mechs which require both Side Torse destroyed)
Shotting out 1 leg will cause a mech to limp, blow out both legs will cause it to fall over and destroy it's engine/pilot.

18. Electronic Counter Measure are jamming device that mess up your enemy's targeting.

19. Buying mech and spending Cbill to customize your mech is general a good idea.

20. Faction/Force are fictional nation a player choose to allign with, they not important for now.

21. It is good to stick around and watch other people play to learn how they pilot their mech or check out a weapon load they have, it also ensure you receive a full paycheque for sticking around until the match end.

22. Queue proportion shows you have many of each mech class are currently in the game, the least weight class will get match quicker.

23. Weight class are something the creator use to try to setup a fair fight, similar to how weight system in boxing works.
Light (20-35 tons), Medium (40-55 tons), Heavy (60-75 tons) and Assault (80-100 tons).

#13 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 19 October 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Well.. there's learning how to ride a bike and then learning how to max out the potential of a bike.

nothing more to add

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Some of the questions there are common F2P mechanics and not unique to MWO, such as the currency differences, others are common with online games, such as the constant patching (Guild Wars did that a lot, as did DDO, I'm guessing WoW does too).

Some of the rest are game basics that require some time to learn. I suggest starting simple and moving from there. A new player needs to worry about piloting his mech, not how temperature effects it. As with any game, pay or not, there's a lot of things going on in the game, some of which are documented better than others, and it may take a while before 1 + 1 = 2 for him.

#15 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Post5LeafClover, on 19 October 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

1) WHAT??? You mean the primary download-then you STILL have to go thru 19 patches??
If thats accurate, thats utterly lazy someone hasn't updated the primary download to represent where we are today

21) yes, they killed I believe the ability to battle, die, and leave, some nonsense about preventing 'farming'.
So you have to sit and wait to get all your points. I might be wrong, but I think this is accurate.
It would be nice to battle, and be able to leave, reap the efforts of my work be it good or bad, and hop into another mech to speed up gameplay.

Hope he sticks it out, we are in dire need of new players.

#16 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Since you can't respawn within the same battle, if and when destroyed, your 'mech stays where it fell until the end of the battle.

You don't have to sit and wait for the end of the battle to occur to get your points as you have the ability to leave the battle and join another with another 'mech (whether it be a trial 'mech or otherwise) The points/stats will be updated at the end of the battle regardless if you are there to witness the last kill or not.

Just hit the ESC key and choose to leave battle if or when you are destroyed. Personally I prefer to stay and watch to try helping out my team finish off the remaining enemy targets and/or get an idea of functional builds of 'mechs I currently own or have yet to own.

View PostThat Dawg, on 19 October 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

21) yes, they killed I believe the ability to battle, die, and leave, some nonsense about preventing 'farming'.
So you have to sit and wait to get all your points. I might be wrong, but I think this is accurate.
It would be nice to battle, and be able to leave, reap the efforts of my work be it good or bad, and hop into another mech to speed up gameplay.

#17 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 19 October 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hope he sticks it out, we are in dire need of new players.

Nope, not accurate. You get all the points you have earned up to that point, and the win/loss points. You will not get anymore assists, spot assists that sort of thing (ie you die while your UAV is up, or you damaged mechs that later die).

The only restriction is that mech is locked into the battle.

#18 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Edited by That Dawg, 19 October 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#19 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 19 October 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Should have been about skateboarding, because that would have had lots of grinding. ;)

#20 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Looks like several good topics to make tutorial videos about. added them to my list for the future ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users