25 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

To be honest, I'm not that excited about the AS7-S or the CN9-AH. They're both fantastic gifts, they're appreciated, they're a very nice gesture, but that's not the stuff that gets me excited. This is what gets me excited:

Rewards 2.0 -
Clearly, PGI has tried to give the players a lot of what they've been asking for. Rewards that promote role warfare and good teamwork rather than just destruction.

UI improvements -
Still a long way to go, but it's good to see they're plugging away and listening to player feedback.

Jump jet improvements -
Again, still a long way to go from where I'd like to see it, but I hope they will be tuning jump jets with frequent, small changes, rather than sporadic, drastic changes.

Geometry improvements -
Nice to see this is still being worked on. I'd like to see Tourmaline on the list of maps being fixed, but at least River City was included.

Deadlines met -
The most important thing of all! It creates a lot of optimism when they do a Roadmap and stick to it. I don't mind the small delays, everyone knows that one or two weeks later is to be expected. But it's not anywhere near "CW coming fall of 2013"
Fall damage change - Check!
Jump jet change - Check!
Omnimech fixed jump jets - Check!
Clan mech side torso destruction fix - Check!
Rewards 2.0 - Check!
Quirks.... Time will tell.

All in all, good stuff. I don't know if I'll buy the next Inner Sphere mech pack, but I'm definitely planning on spending more money on this game. PGI 2.0 is doing great.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 21 October 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

Nope. This patch closed my wallet. I will not spend another dime on this game. And just think, I bought the complete clan packages.

#3 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostTuefel Hunden, on 21 October 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Nope. This patch closed my wallet. I will not spend another dime on this game. And just think, I bought the complete clan packages.

Might I inquire, why?

Was it the change to JJ Omnipods, or maybe the one to cXLs?

#4 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

They are definitely on track here and there is some visible improvement on their deliverables. I forked over for a Clan Wave II pack to show some support and the girlfriend got some premium time.

I'd like to see some follow-up on the Interactive Smurfy Mech-Lab.

The Smurfy-like details screen is nice and all, but what happened to making the mech building use the smurfy template? I remember there was some talk about how that was coming soon, then once we got the details screen it just kind of faded away as a topic. For some reason I feel like I've been waiting for the real mech lab to be added in.

Am I crazy or is the mech lab a complete thing now? Anyone else remember how the reaction to the initial mech lab in UI 2.0 was so bad we were appeased with talk of a smurfy template?

#5 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm liking the Rewards 2.0 so far. When I'm on the losing side, around 70% of the time I'm one of the highest scorers on the team and end up getting crap rewards for it all. It gets really frustrating when matchmaking continuously sticks you in awful teams and there's nothing you can do to stop the losing streak. After consumables are taken into account you end up with next to nothing.

Now, come win or lose, it feels like I'm rewarded fairly. A much needed economy boost, thanks PGI.

Progress is moving nicely, keep it up.

#6 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 21 October 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Might I inquire, why?

I'm curious as well. And actually, the cXL change was the patch before so... only thing I can think of is the JJ Omnis.

Honestly, PGI dropped the ball on those because of how it was implemented... some of us actually have mechs that were perfectly legal under the new rules, yet we're being hammered with tonnage, too many JJ and crit slot violations. This wouldn't be a problem if "too many JJ" rule was checked FIRST and the extra JJ's stripped... that would FIX every build that was already compliant. But nooooo... CRITS are checked first. The fix to that is stripping the relevant component. Which means, for some mechs, it means stripping everything but the arms. *facepalms*

Come on, just change the order of the checks... strip those JJs first, PGI.

#7 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostScratx, on 21 October 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

I'm curious as well. And actually, the cXL change was the patch before so... only thing I can think of is the JJ Omnis. Honestly, PGI dropped the ball on those because of how it was implemented... some of us actually have mechs that were perfectly legal under the new rules, yet we're being hammered with tonnage, too many JJ and crit slot violations. This wouldn't be a problem if "too many JJ" rule was checked FIRST and the extra JJ's stripped... that would FIX every build that was already compliant. But nooooo... CRITS are checked first. The fix to that is stripping the relevant component. Which means, for some mechs, it means stripping everything but the arms. *facepalms* Come on, just change the order of the checks... strip those JJs first, PGI.

It's not a great system - it's hard to make changes to mech's that already exist without simply stripping that component completely which many at PGI are loathe to do -

At least it is rare we make a change like this and once you fix the mech once it is gtg as well as new mech purchases are fine from the start.

#8 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

I am not at all happy with the new reward system. Grinding money is not my idea of fun. I do not like how the Summoner received nothing to boost it, rather other clan mechs were forced to have fixed JJs. I do not like how the Mad Dog was nerfed. I do not like how the Nova was nerfed.

#9 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

JJ changes were incredibly small; small enough that you might as well not include them.

Remember that we were supposed to get buffs for multiple JJs - like, 6x JJs were supposed to be a lot better than 2x JJs. As it stands, we got a minor boost to the Highlander, Heavies, and Mediums.

#10 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Wait, have they included the turn rate buff for JJ's? I thought that one slipped to the next patch? Maybe we should wait for that before sharpening the tines on our pitchforks.

And to be honest, even the worst clan mechs (except the lights) are still in a good place compared to the worst the 'Sphere has to offer.

#11 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 21 October 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Might I inquire, why?

What else changed on CXL? Nothing this patch right? I read the patch notes....

#12 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostTuefel Hunden, on 21 October 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

I am not at all happy with the new reward system. Grinding money is not my idea of fun. I do not like how the Summoner received nothing to boost it, rather other clan mechs were forced to have fixed JJs. I do not like how the Mad Dog was nerfed. I do not like how the Nova was nerfed.

Digging up some items from multiple patches ago to mention the Nova

As to Mad Dog - I guess if you boated LRM 5's?

#13 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 21 October 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Wait, have they included the turn rate buff for JJ's? I thought that one slipped to the next patch? Maybe we should wait for that before sharpening the tines on our pitchforks.
And to be honest, even the worst clan mechs (except the lights) are still in a good place compared to the worst the 'Sphere has to offer.

According to road map, adjusting the turn rate for JJs was more complicated than they thought, so there's no ETA. And it won't be a buff, it'll be a nerf for mechs with less than full number of JJs, as I understand it. So the Summoner won't actually be better, it'll just be better by comparison.

#14 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 21 October 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yes, Russ. It is a cumulative thing. Think of it like Ghost Heat, only from a customer. The Mad Dog forced a shutdown.

Edited by Tuefel Hunden, 21 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#15 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 21 October 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Is the Nova in any better shape now? If the answer is no, which I'm pretty sure is the case, then that doesn't seem like a great argument.

#16 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Great patch indeed. Though ... .. . why does that ac/20 now look like an ac/2 =*( ... i'll see my way out ...

#17 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 21 October 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

It's not a great system - it's hard to make changes to mech's that already exist without simply stripping that component completely which many at PGI are loathe to do -

At least it is rare we make a change like this and once you fix the mech once it is gtg as well as new mech purchases are fine from the start.

I know. The only thing that really annoys me is that reordering the checks (effectively stripping the extra JJs first) would've pre-empted a lot of component stripping. All of my mechs were already patch-compliant. :/

Anyway, my grumping aside over having to rebuild mechs (partially or not) rather unnecessarily, I like what I see of the patch so far. And FSAA being gone when I want it gone... my framerate on Forest Colony at least went up very significantly... and I suspect so will the other troublesome maps. +1 to that bugfix, among others.

#18 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Overall, I really like this patch!

However, I'm bummed that we didn't get the JJ buff for turn rate and thrust acceleration. Any ETA on when that will come? I know it's stalled due to the engine coding stuff, but we really need it! My brawling QKDs, SHDs, Novas, and Summoners have formed a support group called "JJ's Anonymous" where they meet every Tuesday to quietly weep on each others' shoulders...

I haven't had the opportunity to drop since the patch went live, so I don't have an evaluation yet regarding the new awards system. Hopefully it's not as bad as everyone says...

#19 Nightwielder

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

The thing that did it for me is the rewards. It's too extremely cut on average and there's no real reward for winning and having a decent game. (These are by no means epic games)
There's almost no difference other than I tagged more in the defeat. "Role" Warfare just means tag monkey and scout? Don't get me wrong I'm all for the bonuses and where this patch is heading but it's not implemented right.

It should've just been in addition to the normal rewards before instead all the old rewards were neutered and gutted and now there's no reason to play anything without tag if you want to make money. Hopefully someone else on the team has LRMs! In a good victory I'm sure I could've doubled my money (if I was in a light) I hope this isn't close to considered the final tuning of this.

Sorry for the size of screen shots, didn't know how to size them on the forums. I'm extremely miffed and feel like I'm being pressured to either play a boring way that depends on other people too much or just accept that I won't get the rewards if I play a bigger mech. Or just accept that I have to buy more MC to keep affording anything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nightwielder, 21 October 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#20 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

I would agree that the straight rewards for damage/combat seem a tad bit low. Not exactly looking forwards to jumping back in my assaults and losing the light/medium buddy bonus. Not sure how that's going to play out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users