I need to practice

19 replies to this topic

#1 mullet steve

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPotters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

can anyone provide me a link to a functional MW4: Mercs free download site?

Thanks for the responce

#2 Vashts1985

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

http://www.mektek.ne...downloads-r1204

#3 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Downloading it right now - IDK myself, but I'm told that the retail copy doesn't like to play nice with the MTX version so I'm D/Ling it despite already owning it on CD. :(

*EDIT* Just to put a bit of nub-info out there, because it would have helped me save 5 minutes; Once you follow the instructions on there, the MTX installer might prompt you to D/L the .net 3.5 framework from the Microsoft site.

I had to do this just now, and once it's done you a re-run the MTX installer & it will continue just fine.
The mtx client looks like some kind of bit-torrent based client & I'm getting about a good a D/L speed as possible given my connection, very nice!

Edited by BigJim, 24 June 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#4 Slade Deleportas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Which s a good idea. Mektek has made numeorus add ons to the old game. Integrating both the IS and Clan mech packs, plus a whole slew of their own designs, a bunch of the Unseen chassis, weapons etc.

It's well worth the download. :(

#5 BigJim

• 1,458 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Download speed; 180.16 kB/s
Time remaining; 161.42 min

:( !!
Gotta love livin' in the countryside

Edited by BigJim, 24 June 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#6 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, Ca

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostVashts1985, on 24 June 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

View Postmullet steve, on 24 June 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

can anyone provide me a link to a functional MW4: Mercs free download site?

Thanks for the responce

Hey Mullet Steve and Big Jim

I have posted a request for Founders that want to get ready for the Aug 7 insertion. When you get mek tek downloaded if you have problems let me know.

The best practice would be to build the founders mechs with the correct # of heat sinks and dump the flush as soon as the game drops. That way it would be very close to mwo 3048. I can put up a practice server on MekTek any time.

And yes BigJim Mechwarrior free doesnt work with the retail game.

When you all get it installed and updated if the multplayer starts in Davion you will not see many or any servers. US is Kurita and I can tell you how to change that in the regedit because the mektek servers button doesnt work. You want to use the connect button.

Leggin

Edited by Leggin, 24 June 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#7 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

What an odd request, since when does playing a game like MW4 have anything to do with MW:O? They're two very different games. :(

#8 Vashts1985

• 1,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

unfortunatly Mektek's MW4 didnt play well on my system. it was laggy as hell. made no sense considering what im running, but whatever.

could not get AT1 to run at all. i get memory errors when trying to run a game.

=(

#9 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Postpursang, on 24 June 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

What an odd request, since when does playing a game like MW4 have anything to do with MW:O? They're two very different games. :(

I agree Pursang they are different but by using the projected load outs and dumping the flush we could have a good practice time. We can set frag limit if you want 1 death or put it on respond for more practice. The main thing is to start getting used to using good heat management.

Leggin

Edited by Leggin, 24 June 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#10 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Conceptually they are not that far apart. I would imagine things like keeping tabs on your allies while fighhting enemies, moving one direction while shooting another, and moving to use cover for best advantage are things that will likely carry over. As you can set up your own server and change the conditions, it is the best tool we have that I know of. Especially without any knowledge of MWO other than the vids we've seen. So WM4:Mercs is what RTG is practices with until we have MWO access.

#11 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostVashts1985, on 24 June 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

unfortunatly Mektek's MW4 didnt play well on my system. it was laggy as hell. made no sense considering what im running, but whatever.

could not get AT1 to run at all. i get memory errors when trying to run a game.

=(

Vashts1985 MekTek has updated several times and in most cased the lag problems are gone especially on Kurita servers. But the servers them selves can be the problem.
Leggin

#12 Vashts1985

• 1,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostLeggin, on 24 June 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Vashts1985 MekTek has updated several times and in most cased the lag problems are gone especially on Kurita servers. But the servers them selves can be the problem.
Leggin

i was playing single player =/ its graphics lag all the way

#13 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostVashts1985, on 24 June 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

i was playing single player =/ its graphics lag all the way

Now youve got me because I have never played MekTek single player. I dont think it was really designed for that. I believe when they rebuilt it they made it a multiplayer game mainly or only.

Leggin

#14 BigJim

• 1,458 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostLeggin, on 24 June 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

The best practice would be to build the founders mechs with the correct # of heat sinks and dump the flush as soon as the game drops. That way it would be very close to mwo 3048. I can put up a practice server on MekTek any time.

And yes BigJim Mechwarrior free doesnt work with the retail game.

When you all get it installed and updated if the multplayer starts in Davion you will not see many or any servers. US is Kurita and I can tell you how to change that in the regedit because the mektek servers button doesnt work. You want to use the connect button.

Leggin

Thanks. :(

Getting a bit cocky, I decided to play a bit of Mechcommander while I was waiting for the D/L - Caused a mild crash where the window was overlaid over task manager etc.. so I had to hard reset. (not seen one of those in XP for yonks)

Opps - Doesn't keep track of your D/L, so now I'm starting from scratch.. :mellow:

Thanks for the tip re; using regedit to change the server location, I'll come back to this thread once I've D/Led, but I'll only pester you for help if I struggle (I understand the registry, but day to day it & I have a relationship based on mutual hate & distrust :angry:).

*EDIT* I agree it can't be used as a solid guide to how MWO will play, but I agree that conceptually it's probably the best thing we've got, other than a radical re-code of MW2-31st which I don't thin is going to happen; I had to jump though enough hoops just getting it to run in a 1024x768 window under dos-box for Win XP.

As it happens, I've never actually played a MW game online (all of them offline, but never against humans) so for me even dumbed-down basic lego-style mech combat vs real people & not shonky AI will be a lesson I could use.

Edited by BigJim, 24 June 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#15 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Ill be glad to help BigJim

Leggin

#16 Asche

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationLothario

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I had a ton of problems with trying to get the mektek version running on 7, 64bit. Also found a Trojan in the .exe, Retail version works fine, just have to specify which gpu if running sli.

#17 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 24 June 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Conceptually they are not that far apart. I would imagine things like keeping tabs on your allies while fighhting enemies, moving one direction while shooting another, and moving to use cover for best advantage are things that will likely carry over. As you can set up your own server and change the conditions, it is the best tool we have that I know of. Especially without any knowledge of MWO other than the vids we've seen. So WM4:Mercs is what RTG is practices with until we have MWO access.

It is also worth noting that playing MW4M can also help a person figure out:
  • The control scheme would be best for you (mouse+keys, joystick+keys, joystick+HOTAS, joystick+pedals, etc)
  • Keys & buttons to customize for various functions
  • General types of mechs that you might want to use (light, medium, heavy, etc)
MekTek's MW4M comes with a map or scenario editor, which can help train for specific situations as well.

#18 BigJim

• 1,458 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostLeggin, on 24 June 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Ill be glad to help BigJim

Leggin

Hey bud, all sorted now.

Client done - √
Game downloaded - √
Updated - √
Checked the video/sound settings - √
Regedited server from "Davion.Mektek" to "Kurita.Mektek" - √
Servers visible - √

Now I just need to learn to not suck so hard.. :(
I just jumped into a Solaris match with a Timber vs Mediums mechs on Vet & got utterly wasted.. ;)

Few players online atm but I'll make time to see who's about later tonight, thanks for the support mate, I'll be playing MW4 under the same name (BigJim, I use it for every MP game I've ever played) so if you see me be sure to say hi shoot me.

Edited by BigJim, 25 June 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#19 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Practice Sessions in MW4:Mercs and MWLL are available to any Dark Sabre interested. If interested in joining the Dark Sabres, please contact me with questions and experience in the BT/MW universe.
*This advertisement is (not) paid for by the Dark Sabres Mercenary Corps (gods, but wouldn't that be nice!)*

#20 mullet steve

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPotters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I was just jonsing for some mech action and you know maybe get a little bit of practice seeing what function I would best fulfill in a team situation?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users