150 replies to this topic

#61 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Next time I see your Summoner in my Mad Dog, we'll have to test this. Don't do duels, because they don't show "real" battlefield conditions, but will be happy to see if my inferior Mad Dog can survive. (Though I like both mechs, but honestly, Summoner is currently the standard for MEH Clan Heavies. Tis a reason you see 3x as many MDDS on the field) . Too many people can't build em worth anything, but they got all kinds of worth if you do know how to build em. And yes, they are missile boats. Ain't necessarily a bad thing.

I would, but I only own the Timberwolf currently. I doubt you wanna duel with that mech though. Maddog is still better than some decent IS heavies, just when it comes to the clans they tend to get ripped apart pretty fast compared to the summoner. Though I doubt people even play the summoner correctly for its design anyway, running in circles, brawling, ect.

#62 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

PROTECTOR 44 games 30 wins 12 losses 2.50 39 kills 21 deaths 1.86 10,535 damage

This was before the PPC speed nerf and others though. Orion is best in it's traditional role, but you can learn to play it. It's a bit fragile, so be evasive.

#63 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 October 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I like my Summoner, when I take it out for a spin, she is a CQB monster...

SMN-PRIME

I'll be your huckleberry
MDD-A
;)

#64 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

I play my Summoner as a mobile brawler.... so I guess I must be one of the odd ones...

The Mad Dog, I use as moble fire support, she cores mechs fast with LRM-5A's...

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'll be your huckleberry
MDD-A
;)

Done and done!

#65 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostBrody319, on 24 October 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

For the Clans:
Maddog. Paper thin armor, only good for missile boating, and its out shined by even the summoner when it comes to direct combat. As soon as the enemy finds you and starts shooting, you are probably dead. I've seen summoners do some nasty damage but the maddog can only boat missiles.

For the IS:
Quickdraw. I've done some nasty damage in a dragon when I tried it. Its not really a bad mech, just that nose.

Brawl quite nicely in my Mad dog thank you, lurm boat is just easy mode for it

#66 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

PROTECTOR 44 games 30 wins 12 losses 2.50 39 kills 21 deaths 1.86 10,535 damage

This was before the PPC speed nerf and others though. Orion is best in it's traditional role, but you can learn to play it. It's a bit fragile, so be evasive.

Biggest problem with Orion is too many people think that by going with a slow STD Engine and AC20, it somehow gets more survivable.

Big and Slow, rarely a great recipe for success, ac20 or not. It's funny, I "break all the rules" in my Onion. Stick a big ol 340xl in it. Use no energy weapons. Just 4x aSRM4, 1x AC10. Then I go and bludgeon to death all the "better" mechs out there. Lately been enjoying watching TWs panic after I remove on torso in a volley. Then 2.5 seconds later, rinse, wash and repeat on the other side.

Mind you, they get me at range, the TW is the boss. But part of using a mech is understanding your weaknesses, and working around them. Also pretty funny how manY TWs can't seem to figure out what to do with their precious "S" torsos, now, lol. Poor babies.

View PostMetus regem, on 24 October 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

I play my Summoner as a mobile brawler.... so I guess I must be one of the odd ones...

The Mad Dog, I use as moble fire support, she cores mechs fast with LRM-5A's...

Done and done!

My Mad Dog Prime is 6x LRM5, 4x ERMLasers, and currently a TAG, though tbh, I haven't found the TAG all that helpful, overall. Always felt Artemis a waste on 5s. They cluster mighty tight anyhow.

#67 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Biggest problem with Orion is too many people think that by going with a slow STD Engine and AC20, it somehow gets more survivable.

Big and Slow, rarely a great recipe for success, ac20 or not. It's funny, I "break all the rules" in my Onion. Stick a big ol 340xl in it. Use no energy weapons. Just 4x aSRM4, 1x AC10. Then I go and bludgeon to death all the "better" mechs out there. Lately been enjoying watching TWs panic after I remove on torso in a volley. Then 2.5 seconds later, rinse, wash and repeat on the other side.

Mind you, they get me at range, the TW is the boss. But part of using a mech is understanding your weaknesses, and working around them. Also pretty funny how manY TWs can't seem to figure out what to do with their precious "S" torsos, now, lol. Poor babies.

My Mad Dog Prime is 6x LRM5, 4x ERMLasers, and currently a TAG, though tbh, I haven't found the TAG all that helpful, overall. Always felt Artemis a waste on 5s. They cluster mighty tight anyhow.

I used my Mad Dog with the 6X cLRM5-A and 4cERML to core both a Dire Wolf and Storm Crow on River City, that neither of them seemed to under stand how to lead a target... I mean I was running in a strat line twisted to face them and hammer them...

It took a AS7-S to take my legs out from under me...

I've been thinking about swapping out the Artemis now for TAG, since TAG now gives a nice fat reward, might be worth using now...

As for the Timber Wolves, I've started to run:

TBR-PRYDE

It actually works rather well, provided you're not stupid with it....

Edited by Metus regem, 24 October 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#68 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Haven't had near as many matches since stat reset, due to SMM, and my CGBI duties, but:
ORION ON1-VA
-matches: 76
-wins: 43
-losses: 31
-W/Lr: 1.39
-Kills: 116
-Deaths: 39
-K/Dr: 2.97
-Damage: 32,809
-XP: 92,129
-Time Played: 08:45:25

also
Posted Image

But I tend to concur with you.

Orion's power!

My anchestor is proud of you!

#69 Mordale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Dragon, Quickdraw

#70 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Dragon was my MOUNT as far as heavies went I love the old girl, and have two that will never leave my hangar....It only really became a chore to play when they introduced that stupid gauss charge mechanic that made it a lot harder to run and gun with it. XL 300 with a gauss, 4 mediums and an srm6? whats not to love? AND its as fast as a Madcat? The OG flank and spank heavy.

I still occasionally run my protector...its....WORKABLE, but not great/terribad. Its a Mini-Atlas. Ive seen people do some interesting super-speed Laser-barf builds with the quickdraw, and its definilty not a mech you want sneaking up behind you, so I'd have to say the worst heavy would be the Summoner. No weight for weapons, no armor. Its only got speed and an unnecessary number of jumpjets crammed into it. The ONE build I wanted to try on it you cant even build (one Uac20, one large pulse laser and 1 srm6. MWLL build)

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 October 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

I used my Mad Dog with the 6X cLRM5-A and 4cERML to core both a Dire Wolf and Storm Crow on River City, that neither of them seemed to under stand how to lead a target... I mean I was running in a strat line twisted to face them and hammer them...

It took a AS7-S to take my legs out from under me...

I've been thinking about swapping out the Artemis now for TAG, since TAG now gives a nice fat reward, might be worth using now...

TBR-PRYDE

Yeah. I prefer the 6 tons saved for ammo and or DHS

#72 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 24 October 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

It's one of those mechs that don't really exist.

The quickdraw is very rare, but people do run it occasionally, while dragons are oldtimey novelty mechs that come out to play for special events. No one runs orions unless they have to.

I run all those mechs pretty much exclusively :D

it's all who's driving it ;)

#73 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 24 October 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

The ONE build I wanted to try on it you cant even build (one Uac20, one large pulse laser and 1 srm6. MWLL build)

Can carry as much armor as any other 70 tonner.

And as for the build, well, tis one reason I never liked MWLL, or MW4, builds that simply should never have been doable. Then people get here and are (usually) angry they can't replicate said broken builds in MWO.

#74 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'll be your huckleberry
MDD-A
;)

run mine almost the same but I use SRM2 less alpha but almost continuos stream of missiles, and cools just using the lbx10 when to hot

#75 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

Or just happen to know how to use them like a wrecking ball. Favorite prey of my OV1-VA? Big dumb fat Atlases.

Just because most players are sheep who only run what the Comp Overlords deem acceptable, doesn't make a mech bad.

Some folks don't know how to color outside the lines. You get used to it. Been getting a good laugh out of VAss and several other pontificate what is or is not usable in this game for over two years. Then going out and proving them wrong.

>meta comp overlord.

But I play the least meta mechs in the game, mister clan 240 alt account.

#76 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 24 October 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

>meta comp overlord.

But I play the least meta mechs in the game, mister clan 240 alt account.

Posted Image

#77 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

After the latest JJ change the QD is wayyyy better. It's a heavy but it has better jumpjets than some other heavies (better than the Timber Wolf for example).

My main problem with the QD is finding a weapon complement that justifies taking up a 'Heavy' spot that doesn't require an XL engine. Running XL is pretty much the only way of carrying a decent armament, but the QD's side torsos are so easy to shoot that it's kind of a joke.

Still, I have fun, even if it's not viable for serious games. Build in case anyone is interested:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b83e96ba9ea4430

Playstyle is use the ERPPC as a long range engagement tool, and use jumpjets/mobility to 'shotgun' targets closer than 270 metres with the PPC + SRM barrage. For engaging targets that get in your face, use the MLs and the SRMs chainfired. (don't use the ERPPC in brawl, you'll overheat)

Basically you have to find some method of utilizing the superior jumpjets as a way of justifying not taking a heavier 'Heavy'.

Edited by Yosharian, 24 October 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#78 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

You definitely want to swap Artemis out for TAG IMO.

That's solid weight savings.

Let's you push up to 18 DHS, assuming 1440 missiles.

TBR-PRYDE

On this I'd go the opposite direction. You want Artemis with the larger launchers.

I prefer the 15s overall.

Here's a version you can run on the S that only requires 1 JJ, or you could put it on a different torso and have no JJs if you didn't need any.

It allows you to have TAG, and better cooling and if you are willing to drop the CERLLAS you can have quite a bit more ammo.

Do not hang in the way back and fire over hills though. You have TAG + Artemis. Keep enemies around 400-600m and get visual locks, and you can support your team mates even if they aren't in a murderball.

As for the "bad heavy" the main issue is primarily in the GROUP queue, not the solo queue.

Solo queue teams are balanced by Elo AND Weight. So if you take a Dragon or a Quick Draw, that tonnage your team "lost" by not having a 75 ton mech usually gets balanced out somewhere else.

The group queue is a different matter, being strictly regulated by 3/3/3/3 for preformed teams - it can sometimes be an issue if you have your entire heavy or assault section full of the lowest ton mechs for those classes.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 24 October 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#79 Lincoln Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have been tracking damage score for each mech in game. So the first number is how many I have seen and the second number is average damage.

Dragon
11 267

Quickdraw
10 306

Catapult
51 291

Jagermech
38 273

Thunderbolt
20 238

Cataphract
39 289

Orion
2 262

#80 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 24 October 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

On this I'd go the opposite direction. You want Artemis with the larger launchers.

I prefer the 15s overall.

Here's a version you can run on the S that only requires 1 JJ, or you could put it on a different torso and have no JJs if you didn't need any.

It allows you to have TAG, and better cooling and if you are willing to drop the CERLLAS you can have quite a bit more ammo.

Do not hang in the way back and fire over hills though. You have TAG + Artemis. Keep enemies around 400-600m and get visual locks, and you can support your team mates even if they aren't in a murderball.

Thanks for the advice, but the TBR-PRYDE is a cannon mech, used by Aidan Pryde of Clan Jade Falcon, so I like to run it as it is, but thank you anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users