Hey Hey.

313 replies to this topic

#21 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

leading targets get difficult when you have torso and arm mounted projectiles, this would be a good time for arm lock.

turning arm lock off allows near vertical shots, look for opportunities on Crimson Strait and Terra Thurma.

#22 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

Great vids, thanks for sharing them. Do you have any piloting the Victor? I have been reading the novels and some of the characters I like have piloted a Victor ( Ardan Sortek, Grayson Carlyle etc...) I am drawn to it because it can take some damage and even though its not fast like the Spider, it doesn't feel clunky like some of the other big mechs. Even with the quirks.

#23 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 26 October 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Great vids, thanks for sharing them. Do you have any piloting the Victor? I have been reading the novels and some of the characters I like have piloted a Victor ( Ardan Sortek, Grayson Carlyle etc...) I am drawn to it because it can take some damage and even though its not fast like the Spider, it doesn't feel clunky like some of the other big mechs. Even with the quirks.

the Victor has a torso twist speed reduction quirk, because a while back it was outperforming all the other assaults, so if you think it is nimble now it will be more so after the 4th of November patch when those quirks are removed, this is part of the Inner Sphere quirk pass aimed at making the under-performing mechs more competitive. for further details of the IS quirk pass see the October road-map command chair post.
http://mwomercs.com/...tober-road-map/

#24 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 25 October 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

I have played MW4 but just played my first game online in the Victor-9S(C) and mostly followed a couple of lance mates around and shot at whatever they shot at...

Congratulations - you're smarter than a significant portion of the player base! =P

Also:

#25 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts
  • LocationDenmark -Northern Europe

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hi and welcome Shaemus. I feel like adding to you topic so Ill get right on it.
First and foremost: This is a great community for helping eachother. People like Shar Wolf and Koniving are all over the place, ready to spill their knowledge at someone who needs a hand. I dont know what PGI did without them, and they aren't even staff... So you did the right thing in opening a post and don't be afraid to ask more questions as you progress as a pilot.
Secondly Im thinking you're allready on the better side of the newbies (no offence) since you ask that kind of question and wonder about those things. Most newbies would ask "why dont I get any kills?" or "why am I allways killed first?"... You seem to have the idea that this game is about patience and teameffort. Am I totally off my mark ?
That brings me to the final addtition. PUG (Pick Up Group/random teams) is a lot of fun and a good way to hone your skills. But its random and a great deal of the game is missing: The teamwork! When you join a group or a regiment and get settled, your skills and fighting abilities really takes off. You'll get faster, fight better and be more accurate and generally have more fun than before because this is a game of teamwork. So My last advice is this: Get into a group !
Hope to see you on the battlefield and best of luck mate

#26 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

maybe he thought you were playing like this...
Posted Image

#27 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Lol Gorantir. I hope i'm not going to be considered a "Lamer" by using the Victor after the patch. I like it WITH the little quirks. Thanks for the replies and help for myself and the other new people. I will be on around 5:00 CT today, maybe I will see some of you on the battlefield.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 27 October 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#28 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 25 October 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hello to everyone on this forum. I downloaded MechWarrior Online and I have mostly been running around the training grounds out of fear of getting manhandled and being embarrassingly lost. I have played MW4 but just played my first game online in the Victor-9S(C) and mostly followed a couple of lance mates around and shot at whatever they shot at, lamely poaching a couple of frags from them. (Sorry guys) I have a newbie question to ask you guys---One of my deceased teammates helpfully chatted "Use your arms Sha" but sadly, I am clueless what he meant.

The absolute best thing you can do is click "Spectate" after you die. Watch what other players are doing. I do this now, and I've been playing for a while - you STILL pick things up.

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal" ~ Picasso

#29 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

View Postmailin, on 25 October 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

The downside to this is drivers with experience will hold off on firing until your center is facing them. Sort of negating the whole arm shield thing.

And welcome to MWO!!

Unless they have weapons that recharge faster than yours...which will negate their advantage.

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 26 October 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Surprisingly I don't have a lot of vids driving Victors, but they are among my favorite DPS-build mechs. Which is funny, as most people pilot Victors for the instant-kill rigs.

Pure stock Victor. I should note that stock mechs are not viable with the way this game was designed. :(

Old, but funny. Back when Victors first came out.

Slow moving kill. >.> Just because. Flashes a lot of mechs, too.

This one is played alongside a Dragon Slayer (Victor hero mech) in a Pretty Baby (Awesome hero mech), where I totally outdid the Dragon Slayer in performance.

I'll have to do some more vids with it, actually. My current Victor design is LBX-10 + AC/5, 2 or 3 streaks, 2 or 3 medium lasers (depending on the Victor), and because of the weapon combination the thing is 100% arm-aim friendly, which helps avoid the "stare into the enemy's soul while he drills a hole through your gut" syndrome that a lot of players tend to have with torso-based brawling builds.

View PostGorantir, on 27 October 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

maybe he thought you were playing like this...
Posted Image

I have actually played Battlestations against myself, hands versus feet. And I'm quite serious when I say my feet usually won back when I was a teen.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

(Also keep in mind I run a very wide angle view because I'm playing on a 36 inch TV, and it lets me feel as if I'm sitting back in my mech. Kinda can't wait for Occulus Rift to be affordable, I'd totally start using one. If it doesn't turn out to be affordable I'll settle for TrackIR. Either way I'll be able to lower the field of view as I'll be able to track head movements rather than rely on extra peripheral vision.

#32 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

I was hoping to get on around 5...will be sometime tonight around 9:00 CT

Remember when we were kids and didn't have all of the boring responsibilities?

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 27 October 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#33 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts
  • LocationDenmark -Northern Europe

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

And ther you go Shaemus: A big bag of Koniving all for you :lol:

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

I remember when I was a kid and had all kinds of lame responsibilities.
Now I'm an adult and my only responsibility is going to work for 5 hours a day....at ungodly hours.

#35 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 27 October 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I was hoping to get on around 5...will be sometime tonight around 9:00 CT

Remember when we were kids and didn't have all of the boring responsibilities?

Hey man, welcome to MWO!

#36 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:22 AM

Thanks TygerLily. Just wanted to tell you guys that your tips really helped a ton. One match I lasted 3 mins maybe and only did 25 damage and nothing else lol but I learned how quickly enemy mechs can flank and rip me a new one. I panicked a little and got caught out in the open between 3 of them. After that I started spectating and learned how the Atlas I was backing up dealt with their flanking him since I brain farted out. On the subject of arm lock...I had started sticking around my Atlas/Stalker lrm mates and fought a Stormcrow that tried to flank us my arm circle and mpls were the only thing that I could hit him with. I jump turned and hit his leg he pretty much stopped and my srms were like a shot gun up close. Then here comes a Firestarter being chased by my teammate I stepped in front of him and stopped him dead the arm circle let me bean him in the head once before my team mate finished...........my point...Thank you all for the help it worked well. I just finished cadet 14 but my last game crashed to desktop right after starting and haven't been back on.

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

Good start, and yes, the armlock being off will let you reach and hit things you couldn't normally hit.

25 damage though.. Are you using lasers? If so, try to focus the lasers on a specific body part when you fire. Don't streak them around.

This video of me in a Kintaro has many good...and bad moves on my part. But after I'm dead, the last guy goes to fire his lasers and you can hear my comments on it. He had a real chance of winning but he couldn't focus those lasers, significantly reducing any potential impact he would have had against the enemy.

There's also a few moments where you can see the problem about crossing arm and torso weapons on the same firing group.

Which comes to remind me, do you know how to change weapon groups?
The Stalker champion is an awful mech for new players, but a very capable design even if it fails to make the full potential of the Stalker due to its XL (extra light) engine. This is one of the few videos where I'm talking directly to views with something educational rather than conversational.

During this, within the first 3 minutes or so I'll go over how to change your weapon groups.
It's super long, but that's because I lived seemingly impossibly long on both matches, despite stomping around in a coffin. You really only might need the first 4 to 5 minutes if even that long, just long enough for the walkthrough of changing weapons.
Spoiler

And finally I'll bring forth this video. There's a few handy tips. The computer voices were replaced with the MW3 voice and the closed beta betty voice. These are after-the-fact edits so don't expect an awesome mod. :(

The CBB voice is pretending to be a targeting computer, giving me combat information such as when I'm targeted, what they are targeting at times, as well as what I'm targeting and my heat situation. The other computer gives me more situational information.
If you compare the voices to the HUD, you might pick up some interesting tips indirectly. For example, "target, left torso," means I'm targeting the left torso specifically. "Damage" means I hurt it. "Critical damage" means it is about to blow. "Destroyed" is self explanatory. It also states when I change firing modes. Another handy trick (backspace on the selected group will change firing modes).

What is best to pick up from this, however, is how I handle being overwhelmed by two enemies when engaged in the cauldron (a really hot area). The first stage was to get out of the cauldron as quickly as possible. Yes, it exposed me to other potential harm that I was lucky enough to not encounter, but it allowed me to fight the two enemies out in the open. The next stage was to quickly disable and/or kill the enemies as fast as possible before I died. (I lost multiple body parts and left the fight limping in critical condition, but won).

Good luck.

#38 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

For the record lol the 25 damage was for that one match where I panicked and got caught out in the middle of a crossfire. Since then my damage was between 150 to 400. I earned the achievement for assists with assaults and one for getting more than 5 assists in a match just by playing flank guard for my lrm mates. I definitely will be watching the videos later today. Thanks again bud.

I have only used the trial Victor and haven't had a chance to change the weapon groups. Which Victor would you recommend I buy? If you don't mind. I almost have enough to buy one but I am torn.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 28 October 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#39 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

i play with a joystick and throttle weapons controller i have really bad games and really good games.my advice just have fun,and maybe get an ecm mech eventually for when missles get you down.

#40 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 28 October 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

For the record lol the 25 damage was for that one match where I panicked and got caught out in the middle of a crossfire. Since then my damage was between 150 to 400. I earned the achievement for assists with assaults and one for getting more than 5 assists in a match just by playing flank guard for my lrm mates. I definitely will be watching the videos later today. Thanks again bud.

I have only used the trial Victor and haven't had a chance to change the weapon groups. Which Victor would you recommend I buy? If you don't mind. I almost have enough to buy one but I am torn.

I think there are only 3 cbill available ones so it's just a matter of which to start with. You will need 3 variants within a chassis to fully unlock skills on the skill tree. You get XP for the trial Victor you are using so unless there are parts more valuable in another variant (I'll let someone who has Victors comment on that), it would make sense to start with th 9S you've been using and then you can immediately spend that XP. When comparing variants, look for ones that start with XL engines (if an XL friendly chassis--depends on the hitboxes) which are super expensive by themselves. It's cheaper to get an engine in the price of a mech than to buy it as separate equipment. Also look for variants that might come with Double Heat sinks installed or other upgrades. Try out http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Edit: Ok I just looked at the others, and none of them provide any real advantage to buying one over the other.

More than just a reference, you can make builds in the web interface, save them and share them. You can create an account if you want the website to save a garage full of mech designs (but you can save and share a link to show off a build without an account). Here is the stock 9S you would be buying if you started with it (The Champion version has the same hardpoints and is identical in every functional way, but outfitted differently and costs real $$ for the 30% XP bonus it provides). http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=90&l=stock

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 28 October 2014 - 09:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users