Improvements To Arm Lock Feature

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Improvements to arm lock feature (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Improvements to arm lock feature

1. Yes (1 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Other (2 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Currently arm lock will lock your arms to the torso and you cannot move your arms to the side past your torso twist allowance without disabling arm lock.

The problem is there are many cases in which you may want to use arm lock most of the time, but allow your arms to move past your torso twist allowance to shoot at fast mechs or target mechs too high/low for your torso.

Right now there is no automatic way to do that without temporarily disabling arm lock, which is not really convenient in the middle of a fight.

Suggestion : Change arm lock so that arm lock will function until you reach the max of your torso pitch/twist allowance then allow you to move your arms beyond that without turning off arm lock.

Also change the ingame arm lock toggle to a permanent toggle, instead of only lasting for as long as you press the hotkey. E.G. Press once, arm lock is off, press again, arm lock is on. That would allow you to quickly change arm lock on the fly without holding the key down.

#2 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

An "Auto Off" arm lock wouldn't work very well, as being able to detect when and when not to lock is troublesome.

For the toggle I would love to see "hold" to temporarily toggle, and "double tap" to permanently toggle.

#3 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

It would arm lock until you reach the max of torso twist or pitch. Thats pretty easy to detect.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

You want your cake, and you want to eat it, too?

Sorry, but no.

Arm-lock toggle? Sure. But no auto-switching.

The problem with auto-switching is the sudden transition between torso-twist speed and real arm speed, and not knowing when that transition is going to take place at any given moment in-match. It's like your mouse switching from 2000 DPI to 4000 DPI randomly.

#5 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 09 May 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

It would arm lock until you reach the max of torso twist or pitch. Thats pretty easy to detect.

Hmm. It would feel weird. Your cursor would move very slowly moving say left, until your reached your torso twist limit, and then the arms would release and then move very quickly left until your cross the cursor back over to the right where it would move slowly again. Same would happen for looking up and down.

#6 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

I play with armlock on, it's easy enough to use shift when I have to swing my arms. I do however play mechs with relatively high torso twist, so my reach is generally sufficient.

#7 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'd be much happier if PGI would just turn the Arm Lock Toggle button into an actual toggle. Not only would its title no longer be a misnomer, but it would be nigh-infinitely more usable than the current 'hold to disable/enable' setup.

#8 Kreisel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Russ has stated that the current arm lock feature actually contributes to the pinpoint damage problem and that he is thinking of disabling it entirely for anyone who is not a new player. Good luck getting it improved when it's a system that is seen as contributing to a problem within the game. Personally I think it was a bad idea to include in the first place, the idea was to help new players adjust but I feel it actually puts them at a disadvantage for learning the mechanic, while veteran players use it to keep their damage tighter than PGI intended and just hold the button if they need to aim somewhere the torso can't reach.

I'll be glad to see it go, I wouldn't mind if it's replaced by a center arms to torso button you can tap, but can't hold to keep your arms and torso aimed at the exact same spot while moving.

Edited by Kreisel, 26 October 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#9 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Step 1, goto keyboard controls in opitions.
step 2, find where it says toggle arm lock while held.
Step 3, map whatever button you used to the one immediately below it that simply says toggle armlock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users