2 replies to this topic

#1 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Greetings all,

With respect to the size of the weapons, both AC and Missile, there just isn't enough visual effects being shown when these monsters of weapons fire.

- Even the smallest AC2 and AC5 can be classed in the 105mm to 200mm range, by todays standards, and if the BattleTech ammo is using anything like we have now for propellant, it's just not graphically being indicated in the game.

For examples;
see the included video of 'Slow motion Russian' direct fire, artillery, and missile systems.
(at the end, the missiles are about what our in-game Arty should be doing when they impact, reference the BM-21 launcher)

- These weapons should have massive explosive effects when each fires.
- Recoil displayed from each barrel as it fires, and the muzzle blast. (eye candy, but it's great)
- And be just as devastating when they strike, they need not do the amount of damage indicated in the video, due to the Mech's armour, but the impact and explosion should be there.

It has been shown by a few different posts that the in-game muzzle blast is just a small particle effect and not indicative to massive weapons launching hugh projectiles. Even the LRM's are ridiculously underwhelming on impact with a Mech or even missing and hitting terrain.
(as I said, they need not cause massive damage, but the blast effect should be there.)

Here's the Video, all slow motion of real effects of big weapons firing, and the Mech systems are even larger. (yes, I know. Real and in-game, just never the same.)

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=431f5hgsHV8

- And yes, some of these munitions are indeed high explosive and not Armour defeating AP, but effects on striking targets are close.

So, can we get improved ballistic graphics? Would it add additional 'issues' rendering it?
Does it convey the size of these weapons with large muzzle effects? Would the Pilots get a better feeling of using massive weapons?

Just some idea's, and the video is great all by itself.
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 27 October 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#2 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

Better particle effects would be awsome but as I recall LRM's were toned down as there was a point where LRM's hitting a mech effectively blinded it and it was a bit imbalanced.

#3 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostKarl Split, on 27 October 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Better particle effects would be awsome but as I recall LRM's were toned down as there was a point where LRM's hitting a mech effectively blinded it and it was a bit imbalanced.

I believe that was more on the fault of impulse due to how many LRMs would hit a target to violently shake you around.

I am totally for some AC eye-candy, especially if it comes with improved AC sounds. I wanna hear that '20 go BOOM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users