Radar Dep Vrs Lrm Decay

3 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Do these interact in any way, aka, to help delay that behind cover timing? Seems like it should counter to some degree yes?

#2 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

From the context, do you mean Target Decay? I don't know of anything that would cause LRMs to decay.

This is what I know of target decay. When you target an opponent and that opponent moves out of sight, the targeting computer will still be able to track the opponent for 2 seconds in the absence of any modules. Improved and Advanced Target Decay modules will add time to that, so with Advanced Target Decay, your target won't be lost for 3.5 seconds after the enemy gets out of sight. This only applies if the enemy was detected by your mech even for a moment and you have the mech targeted. Hollow triangles disappear instantly when the enemy gets out of sight or range. It's also important that if you are targeting something that someone else is spotting, you will lose your target and lock the instant your ally loses his target regardless of what modules you have or do not have equipped. Of course, if the spotter has an advanced target decay module than it really helps. It's also worth noting that when LRMs hit after line of sight is broken and before the target lock actually decays, the spotter still gets spotting bonuses.

Oh yes, LRMs using the lock are still guided between breaking line of sight and the actual target decay. So it is very possible to hit an enemy popping in and out of cover as long as the cover itself isn't too tall or too steep. Urban areas with tall buildings and platforms tend to be bad for LRM users.

Mechs that shut down from overheating or pilot action ('P' key by default) will drop off of radar instantly unless someone is close enough to detect the shut down mech with an active probe. Target decay does not help here. But since shut down mechs don't move and LRMs are still aimed at the last known position, it's not a very reliable defense against LRMs by itself.

As far as I know, the Radar Deprivation module will set the user's target decay to zero. That means when moving out of sight, opponents will lose their target instantly instead of 2 or 3.5 seconds later. This really helps defending against LRMs because they can no longer track you behind cover unless there is a spotter in a good position. Yes, it appears that Radar Deprivation completely counters Target Decay modules.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Actually, the modules interact additively - Radar Deprivation will zero the normal decay time, but Advanced Target Decay still adds 1.5 seconds.

#4 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:21 AM

Radar Deprivation means the enemy missiles will loose lock on you the moment you duck out of line of sight. This does NOT work if there is a UAV up watching you, or if another enemy has line of sight on you. It is a defensive module only and a very good one if you don't have ECM. This is the first module I bought and I still bring it to every match when I'm not running an ECM capable mech.

Target Decay is the offensive version of this and does the opposite. If you have missile lock on an enemy mech and it ducks out of line of sight to avoid your missiles it will hold your lock for an additional 1.5 seconds. That is almost always long enough for the missiles to hit. Bring this if you're running an LRM boat and it will increase your hit percentage nicely.

If the defender has Radar Deprivation and the attacker has Target Decay they cancel each other out. As a defender you will know immediately because ducking behind cover to avoid missile hits stops working when being fired at by that particular enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users