Is Mechwarrior Online Just A Speed Ball Match ?

Gameplay Social

142 replies to this topic

#101 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

View PostMystere, on 29 October 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Let me repeat this for the benefit of everyone ...

If you had willfully participated in the match and now find yourself the last mech standing on your team, you have every right to preserve yourself in any way you want. Your team has no say in it; they're already dead. The enemy team has no say in it, other than finding and killing you of course. And so whatever you decide to do -- power down, hide, keep on running to avoid the enemy -- is not a reportable offense. I repeat, whatever you decide to do is not a reportable offense.

Your motive for doing so does not matter. I repeat, your motive for doing so does not matter.

Your team mates died. Tough.

The enemy wants the last kill? Then they have to earn that last kill by finding and killing you.

Everyone agreed to sign up for a match that can potentially last for 15 minutes. As such, anyone who does not wish to wait until the full 15 minutes are up can always leave the match.

Also, to anyone who has to wait for their favorite mech to be released from the match, I have but one suggestion: Get a second, third, or even fourth mech of the same chassis variant. That's the end of that particular problem.

PGI should just really keep a sticky on this topic, or explicitly state it in their COC.

Now I'm off to give myself a cookie. I need the sugar anyway. :D

God I hate this attitude.
Everyone agreed to a match potentially lasting 15 minutes...no one agreed to spend seven minutes trying to find the a-hole light mech trying to protect his kdr. At that point, it's not a match, it's an amber alert manhunt for the lost special needs kid.

Teammates die, and some even die stupidly, but by and large they die while fighting the enemy.

If you, as a light mech pilot, only know how to do hit and run while the enemy is focused on other mechs, then you need to add to your game and learn how to fight mechs that are actively looking for you. You'll never learn how to be anything but a harasser if your first thought is to run away and power down when you're the last guy left. Ever heard of using terrain and speed to set up favorable shots on the move? I've seen good light pilots kill off 3-4 damaged mechs at the end of a match when they were the last guys left.

Edited by Ursh, 31 October 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#102 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

one agreed to spend seven minutes trying to find the a-hole light mech trying to protect his kdr.

Actually how you spend that last seven minutes is irrelevant. You agreed to spend up to 15 minutes. Quality is not guaranteed.

If you, as a light mech pilot, only know how to do hit and run while the enemy is focused on other mechs, then you need to add to your game and learn how to fight mechs that are actively looking for you.

I don't think I've ever seen "L2Pnoob" said with such sophistication.

You'll never learn how to be anything but a harasser if your first thought is to run away and power down when you're the last guy left.

there is no requirement for anyone to be anything more than what they want to be.

If I never want to pilot anything other than LRMboats, where does it say I must play something else?

I've seen good light pilots kill off 3-4 damaged mechs at the end of a match when they were the last guys left.

Ever consider they have a sub par system that gives them limited FPS and/or ping and that affects their match and are unable to do better? What's your advice then? Quit playing and ruining my sprinting through roflstomps killing noobs in record time in my Dire Noskill going waddle waddle blam dead with it's billion pinpoint alpha? You don't get points for fastest match.

Really, the arrogance is appalling. For all of you accusing that last guy making you work for a living of being selfish, you need to look in the mirror and see that your just as guilty of the same thing of which you accuse others of.

Edited by Kjudoon, 31 October 2014 - 01:37 AM.

#103 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

Speedball was and is a Fantastic game.

#104 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostKhârn, on 29 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

To open this it not a rant about the game maker it is a discussion about game play and
and what should be allowed in the game or not allowed in game and my experience in pub matches.

Scenario:

I entered a match in which, within 4-6 minutes, my team was down 8 players to their 2 players. Within minutes after that I was the only player left on my team fighting against 10 of the opposing team. At that point I had a few options open to me fight and get swarmed and die like I have done before or chose to power down to avoid losing my mech. I went with powering down to see If I could live. My team then starts crying that they are going to tell the enemy where I am because they do not want to wait for the match to finish.

my Question is:

Why put a power down option in the game if all the players are going to do is whine about it when you utilize it? I chose to utilize this option and was reported for actions that were detrimental to game player experience.

To me MechWarrior is a tactics based game were you actions help your team win or lose. where
your choice in mech determines you style of game play weather you are a flanker or dsp boat or how you need to move in formation so you don't die. And not to suicide your mech just because you team has lost all of theirs.

But the game play I experienced in that match was like speed ball / paint ball play were people move up fire and try to kill as many as possible before they die no tactics and group effort at all then crying about having to wait because one or there team mates dose not want to die so fast

So MechWarrior's what do you think did I not play fair? or do you think powering down should be a ban able offence! if it is a ban able offence do you think the game maker should remove the option to power down ?

You're just costing yourself cbills. When you have a god awful team it can be an entertaining punishment to keep their mechs locked for as long as possible so that they can consider how bloody pathetic their performance was, and it can also be tempting to be a little spiteful towards the enemy team, but ultimately you aren't playing efficiently if you drag something out without any chance of winning. The best thing to do is usually just to grab as much damage as you can. get blown up, and move on.

Edited by NextGame, 31 October 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#105 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

Last guy powering down and hiding gains literally nothing. At the same time, him and the other people loose potential income because they could be playing another match right now.
It's not fun for the people searching for him.
It's not fun for the dead people.

They only thing he gains is a perverted sense of accomplishment for aggravating other people over the internet.

That's trolling at it's finest.

It's sitting in a toilet doing nothing while 23 other people are in line to take a dump.

Edited by Kmieciu, 31 October 2014 - 03:10 AM.

#106 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 October 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

Metaphorical reinforcements.

wasting YOUR time? How about wasting MY time by dying too soon instead of playing smarter? I'm not obligated to be stupid for your arrogant convenience you know.

Eliminate Out of Bounds penalties, and I will use that option when the need arises. That's the reason why only the ignorant and vindictive do it. I'll take my moral victory of making you work for killing me. And now you see why I won't play skirmish.

And this is what you don't understand. I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you are the last member of the team alive, and you are far enough away from where your team died that the enemy has to look for you, you are the bad player. Unless you're capturing points in Conquest or have managed to capture almost all of the enemy base in assault while your team was fighting, you were the one out of position, you were the one who handed the enemy Combat Loss Grouping on a silver platter, and you were the one who was off dorking around while your team fought 11v12 odds.

It is your fault you are the last one alive, and your fault that your team died so quickly. Running off to Rambo it up just because you think your team made a boneheaded tactical move guarantees a loss. There is literally no way to win a round by yourself. No matter how hard you carry, the chances of you turning a stomp around are zero to none. Just because everyone else engaged and you were off doing your own thing doesn't mean that everyone else was playing badly, and it doesn't make you a better player than they are.

Good players fight with the team, no matter what the team is doing, and give 100% to seeing the team win. Bad players fight for themselves, and blame the rest of the team for a loss.

Edited by Josef Nader, 31 October 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#107 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

It is your fault you are the last one alive, and your fault that your team died so quickly

:rolleyes: You really expect me to take responsibility for the rest of my team doing stupid things?

Edited by Kjudoon, 31 October 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#108 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 31 October 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

Last guy powering down and hiding gains literally nothing. At the same time, him and the other people loose potential income because they could be playing another match right now.

They only thing he gains is a perverted sense of accomplishment for aggravating other people over the internet.

It's sitting in a toilet doing nothing while 23 other people are in line to take a dump.

Disconnect, get into another mech and grind away.

Nothing stopping you save pride, ego, entitlment or some other combination of stubbornness inducing beliefs. I've had team traitors out me when I was fighting. I've had them out me when hiding. All because they act like I'm stealing something from them. People disco from match all the time post death. Nothing's stopping you or penalizing you. Your game was over, ruining someone else's or complaining about what another person's doing isn't going to make time go faster. You're not entitled to another person's gameplay choices good or bad.

Boy this reminds me of bad sports parents screaming invectives at the coach that little Timmy didn't get enough playing time for their preference.

#109 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

next time try run out of a zone, then you suicide your self=no negative stats.
as for power down it's useful when you swarm by LRM or faster cooling down.

#110 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

View PostAbisha, on 31 October 2014 - 06:42 AM, said:

next time try run out of a zone, then you suicide your self=no negative stats.
as for power down it's useful when you swarm by LRM or faster cooling down.

Didn't know about the faster cooldown time. have to consider that sometime.

#111 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 31 October 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

:rolleyes: You really expect me to take responsibility for the rest of my team doing stupid things?

The rest of the team is the only chance you have at winning. If you abandon them, you are directly responsible for losing. To then run off and hide is supremely selfish.

#112 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 31 October 2014 - 01:35 AM, said:

Actually how you spend that last seven minutes is irrelevant. You agreed to spend up to 15 minutes. Quality is not guaranteed.

I don't think I've ever seen "L2Pnoob" said with such sophistication.

there is no requirement for anyone to be anything more than what they want to be.

If I never want to pilot anything other than LRMboats, where does it say I must play something else?

Ever consider they have a sub par system that gives them limited FPS and/or ping and that affects their match and are unable to do better? What's your advice then? Quit playing and ruining my sprinting through roflstomps killing noobs in record time in my Dire Noskill going waddle waddle blam dead with it's billion pinpoint alpha? You don't get points for fastest match.

Really, the arrogance is appalling. For all of you accusing that last guy making you work for a living of being selfish, you need to look in the mirror and see that your just as guilty of the same thing of which you accuse others of.

In the real world, do you patiently stand in line while some doofus asks the cashier/clerk 20 absurdly stupid questions?
Do you patiently stand in line while someone blatantly wastes your time by making no effort to efficiently and quickly finish whatever business it is they have with the unfortunate employee trapped there?

In the real world, I'm that guy that steps out of line to walk to the front and ask the moron if they need some help, because there are people waiting and they're taking too long.

You see, our time in this world is limited, and every time someone wastes it, they're stabbing you with tiny daggers, preventing you from living the life you want to live.

#113 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

Running of an hiding after a one sided loss is more or less griefing.

If you have a chance to win, by all means take as much time as you need. But running away and powering down, means you have already given up on the match.

#114 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostUrsh, on 31 October 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

God I hate this attitude.
Everyone agreed to a match potentially lasting 15 minutes...no one agreed to spend seven minutes trying to find the a-hole light mech trying to protect his kdr. At that point, it's not a match, it's an amber alert manhunt for the lost special needs kid.

Teammates die, and some even die stupidly, but by and large they die while fighting the enemy.

Here is a sample from last night:
  • Game Mode: Assault
  • Time Left: 6+ minutes
  • Blue Team: 3 left, 2 badly damaged, 1 damaged
  • Red Team: 1 left, unknown mech, unknown condition

Blue team spreads to look for sole Red Team survivor. Surviving Hunchback on Blue Team attempts to look for last enemy in Red base but is thwarted and heavily damaged by turrets.

Blue Team then decides the best course of action is to wait out the match while forming a defensive position on Blue Base. At the same time, Blue Team taunts last Red survivor but latter does not "take the bait".

Blue Team wins on timeout.

Here are some Items to ponder:
  • Should Blue team have decided to assault Red Base anyway and risk losing?
    • Did they play smart and preserve their advantage?
    • Were they acting cowardly and instead should have assaulted the Red Base or died trying?
    • Were they more concerned with a meaningless statistic (i.e. W/L) than actually playing?
  • What was Red survivor thinking?
    • Was Red survivor hoping that the Blue Team was Gung-ho enough to assault the base?
    • Was Red survivor just preserving a meaningless statistic?
    • Was Red survivor just trolling?
  • What do you think Blue and Red survivors should had done?
  • Should Red survivor be reported for "wasting other people's time" instead of dying while fighting the enemy?
  • Should Blue survivors be reported for "wasting other people's time" instead of dying while fighting the enemy?
  • Would you report Red survivor, Blue survivors, or both?

View PostUrsh, on 31 October 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

If you, as a light mech pilot, only know how to do hit and run while the enemy is focused on other mechs, then you need to add to your game and learn how to fight mechs that are actively looking for you. You'll never learn how to be anything but a harasser if your first thought is to run away and power down when you're the last guy left. Ever heard of using terrain and speed to set up favorable shots on the move? I've seen good light pilots kill off 3-4 damaged mechs at the end of a match when they were the last guys left.

Please zip it up. Your ePeen is showing and there are children around.

And here is one final thought:

The world is not purely black or white. There are actually shades of grey in-between.

Edited by Mystere, 31 October 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#115 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

View PostJosef Nader, on 31 October 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

The rest of the team is the only chance you have at winning. If you abandon them, you are directly responsible for losing. To then run off and hide is supremely selfish.

Never once said I was abandoning them. That's never been part of my argument, and to claim otherwise is patently false. You can't abandon the dead and it's foolish to join them for their convenience.

Edited by Kjudoon, 31 October 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#116 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostAresye, on 30 October 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

If the other team had an option to end the match immediately or continue searching for the hidden mech, which do you think they would choose?

Aside from tournament weekends, I think most players would rather move on with their lives, hence, not worth the kill.

I have been in enough games to know that a lot of people would rather hunt for that last kill than end the match in Assault or Conquest by capping.

Edited by Mystere, 31 October 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#117 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostMystere, on 31 October 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

I have been in enough games to know that a lot of people would rather hunt for that last kill than end the match in Assault or Conquest by capping.

Then that is their choice. I am not obligated to make it easy for them.

I've had enough teams just scream 'blarg' and charge the enemy to die in 3 minutes leaving me with 12 mechs against me, and only the turrets to help. If their goal is to just making money on losing matches quickly, why are they even playing? I was back in a tactically sound position lobbing missiles on the enemy to help right up to the point when they expired due to incompetent or unlucky play. If they're playing the volume game, trying to get as many 5 minute matches in as possible, then the mech they bring is irrelevant. Quit and grind on.

#118 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostNextGame, on 31 October 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

You're just costing yourself cbills.

You should realize that there are players in here that are not concerned by any of that at all. They already have boatloads of that stuff. ;)

#119 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostMystere, on 31 October 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

You should realize that there are players in here that are not concerned by any of that at all. They already have boatloads of that stuff. ;)

and some of us have nothing they want to spend on anyway, or lacking the reason to spend. The new reward system has halved my earnings even when I get a three kill 7 assist match with 700 damage, win or loss. Makes me real reluctant to care or spend.

Edited by Kjudoon, 31 October 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#120 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Some in here do not care about c-bills ... anymore.

The whole point is to make that search as difficult as possible for the enemy if they insist on getting that last kill instead of capping. (I no longer play skirmish. That game mode attracts the greatest number of one-dimensional thinkers).

Who cares? They're already dead. :P

What makes you think no one actually does that (i.e. hiding the mech then taking a long "nature break" IRL)? :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users