Ghost Heat, Direwhales, And Er Larges-A Love Story

7 replies to this topic

#1 EnzyteBob82

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

I miss my Direwolf with 9 ER larges.........the ghost heat that it produces from firing 3 at a time is too much, now. I used to be able to fire 3 bursts of 3 lasers before needing to cool down. Now I get two, and only if I wait a sec between shots.

This is a 100 ton mech.......it should have no problem firing 3 larges at once. Instead, you bring my heat up to well over 50%?

I feel like I have no option in the Whale other than to play the dual gauss, dual ppc, 4 Er medium build since these changes were made. I can boat LB-X, or AC's, make a good hybrid.............but boating lasers is out of the question now.

I can sit there and chain fire two at a time, but with the current meta, you tend to get chewed up staying exposed long enough for that to do any damage.

First world problems, I know. But it was such a fun build to play.......

#2 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

The ghost heat system is stupid. 6 mediums are ok (42 damage 36 heat) but by comparison only two "large family" (22 damage 20 heat or 23.2 damage 18 heat) is what's ok? Don't see why it couldn't be three.

I'd rather just get rid of it and have them limit what can be fired at a time:

2 "20 class" ballistics
2 Gauss
2 PPC
3 large lasers, "10 class" ballistics
maybe a "24 pack" limit on streaks since they have such a high hit probability

Of course like the current system these would be independent of one another.

I would leave everything else uncorked.

Edited by Kain Thul, 30 October 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#3 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

With this ghost heat most notable on energy weapons, PGI is actually forcing you to go dakka or gauss on the whale... and then they try to fix it with some more complicated mechanism.

Clan assaults like warhawk-prime and direwolf-prime rely heavily on energy weapons. It would be good if they could have incentives on them to use energy weapons.!

#4 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

The 3 LL DW was ridiculous, 30 damage every few seconds even half a beam duration on a light was 15 dmg. Higher DPS than dual Gauss along with that if you miss with gauss at range you have to wait instead of getting partial dmg at 800M

#5 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 30 October 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

The ghost heat system is stupid. 6 mediums are ok (42 damage 36 heat) but by comparison only two "large family" (22 damage 20 heat or 23.2 damage 18 heat) is what's ok? Don't see why it couldn't be three.

I'd rather just get rid of it and have them limit what can be fired at a time:

2 "20 class" ballistics
2 Gauss
2 PPC
3 large lasers, "10 class" ballistics
maybe a "24 pack" limit on streaks since they have such a high hit probability

Of course like the current system these would be independent of one another.

I would leave everything else uncorked.

Hmm not a bad idea. I like it.

#6 EnzyteBob82

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postshad0w4life, on 30 October 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

The 3 LL DW was ridiculous, 30 damage every few seconds even half a beam duration on a light was 15 dmg. Higher DPS than dual Gauss along with that if you miss with gauss at range you have to wait instead of getting partial dmg at 800M

No more ridiculous than the 4 C-UAC 10, 4 ER Med build. Which has the ability to spit out more damage, in less time, using FAR less heat

Or how about the LB-X 60 build? I feel sorry for anything getting hit by that if they're within 200m

Bottom line, is that there was a viable laser build, now there isn't. Any DW is going to be OP if the pilot can play it at the range its load out was designed for. But, traveling at DW speeds, maintaining that range can be tricky. As of right now, there is no longer a benefit for playing the DW at long ranges other than the gauss ppc setup. And if anything gets in the face of the 3 ERLL build, it will probably kill it, because the DW only gets 3 shots to kill whatever has closed distance on it before it overheats.

Boating Large Lasers is laughable now that ghost heat does what it does. And it was nowhere near OP in its old config

Edited by EnzyteBob82, 30 October 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#7 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostEnzyteBob82, on 30 October 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

....<snip>....
I can sit there and chain fire two at a time, but with the current meta, you tend to get chewed up staying exposed long enough for that to do any damage.
....<snip>....

Praise PGI for that!
:D

edit: When I look at the typical condition of a Mech or three that have been chewing on a DW*, it seems pretty good to me!

*even an unsupported DW, my Stalker is in no condition to fight after destroying an overheated DW.

Edited by Sethliopod, 30 October 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostEnzyteBob82, on 30 October 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

No more ridiculous than the 4 C-UAC 10, 4 ER Med build. Which has the ability to spit out more damage, in less time, using FAR less heat

Or how about the LB-X 60 build? I feel sorry for anything getting hit by that if they're within 200m

Bottom line, is that there was a viable laser build, now there isn't. Any DW is going to be OP if the pilot can play it at the range its load out was designed for. But, traveling at DW speeds, maintaining that range can be tricky. As of right now, there is no longer a benefit for playing the DW at long ranges other than the gauss ppc setup. And if anything gets in the face of the 3 ERLL build, it will probably kill it, because the DW only gets 3 shots to kill whatever has closed distance on it before it overheats.

Boating Large Lasers is laughable now that ghost heat does what it does. And it was nowhere near OP in its old config

the problem is thatw e have no system blockign combinations. 2 gauss 8 CERML. just too much damage on mid range. yet 2 gauss and probably 3 CERLL would be a bit too mcuh overkill for that many range. thast why 6CERML are ok but 3 CERLL not. A system is needed that prevents specific weaponsize classes from being shot at the same time. then we would not have those big ballsictics mixed with big energy problem.

maybe one day, someone at PGI will recognize that all of the source problems are dual gauss. because dual gauss + X is breaking the games balance.

Edited by Lily from animove, 30 October 2014 - 09:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users