#1 Pizza666

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDeutschland, Hannover

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi,

I'm totally new to the BattleTech universe, especially the TT game. I just played MW3 and 4 on PC.
Now I'm insterested in the introductory box set to start TT with some of my friends.

The price 40-60 bucks would be no problem for me and the content of the box sounds completely for me, too.

Would you (TT veterans) recommend such a box or is there a better way to start in BattleTech TT?

€: Damn it found that thread now http://mwomercs.com/...he-starter-set/ ... sorry

Edited by Pizza666, 24 June 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#2 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

answer to your question imo is yeah. i'd get it, you get alot for your money compared to warhammer starter sets, only real problem you may have is not alot of people seem to play battletech tt. might not be that way for you but from where im at people only want to play warhammer 40k or warmachine

#3 Pizza666

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

View PostStygian Steel, on 25 June 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

only real problem you may have is not alot of people seem to play battletech tt. might not be that way for you but from where im at people only want to play warhammer 40k or warmachine

So the question is: Is it playable even if all players are new to the game ? I mean, ofc it will takes some time to get into the rules but if we take our time, it should be possible right ? I guess if you play first time with a tt player, gameplay would be smoother.

#4 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

yeah its completly playble with all new people, i say go for it if you know a few peeps that are willing to play, give it a go a few times and talk them into buying one of their own so that they havea copy of the rules and the armys get bigger hehe

#5 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:47 AM

It comes with a basic 'quickstart' ruleset so you can get going without needing to read the entire manual. You can also download the ruleset for free from the Battletech website - something I highly recommend doing. That way you can get a feel for the rules while you wait for your boxset to ship (assuming you don't buy it locally).

#6 Death Notice

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

Damn I am start'n to feel old.

#7 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostPizza666, on 24 June 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Hi,

I'm totally new to the BattleTech universe, especially the TT game. I just played MW3 and 4 on PC.
Now I'm insterested in the introductory box set to start TT with some of my friends.

The price 40-60 bucks would be no problem for me and the content of the box sounds completely for me, too.

Would you (TT veterans) recommend such a box or is there a better way to start in BattleTech TT?

€: Damn it found that thread now http://mwomercs.com/...he-starter-set/ ... sorry

Yes. I was not new to the universe, but new to the TT version of the game and I purchased the box set several months. Myself and four other friends learned to play together. The quick start rules are good for the first game, but it's a pretty big leap to the introductory rules IMO.

Anyways, if you want to get started in this game, and you do not know anyone who plays and has the stuff already, then I would highly suggest buying it.

#8 Pizza666

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

@JackCrow:
I see you're from Germany too. Do you own the english or the german version of the pack ?

#9 JackCrow

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

English, but I actually was pleasantly surprised to see a German version in a store nearby.

I hear there are still some players in Germany, but I haven't had much luck.

#10 Lord Oonoopoo

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

i just bought it yesterday to get back into the game and i am surprised at the value of the set. it comes with 26 mechs most are not detailed to my liking but i can look past that. The quick start guide will get a game started within minutes of putting the maps down and grabbing your dice bag.
all in all for $60 its a steal.

see you all in game

#11 KeeperVS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

I think it is going to be up to us newer players to try and foster interest in Battletech TT. I wouldn't try and compete by saying "Hey this is waaay better than Warhammer 40k!" but I'd say that this is another fun sci-fi tabletop game and get people to play games with you. I intend to do a few demonstrations at my local store once I get my models painted and I have a firm grasp of the rules.

#12 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

The boxed set is great. I actually bought two of them for the maps and minis.

If you are a new player, it is a great way to start as there are both the quickstart rules and a great
number of plastics to provide hours and hours of tabletop entertainment.

#13 MightyRando

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWakonda, SD, USA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostDeath Notice, on 25 June 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Damn I am start'n to feel old.

Oh Yea, Me too. Heck, I'd even get it for myself!

View PostFLAKPANZER, on 27 June 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

The boxed set is great. I actually bought two of them for the maps and minis.

If you are a new player, it is a great way to start as there are both the quickstart rules and a great
number of plastics to provide hours and hours of tabletop entertainment.

When I would be stuck at home during the winter and couldn't hang out with my buddies, I would set up and play against myself just for the heck of it. Not really that great, but helped me get a hang of the rules and have some of it memorized so I didn't have to always look at the book. It passed the time when you're snowed in for a few days.

#14 TheSassySquatch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostStygian Steel, on 25 June 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

only real problem you may have is not alot of people seem to play battletech tt. might not be that way for you but from where im at people only want to play warhammer 40k or warmachine

This makes me very sad, but it is true.

#15 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostBIackice, on 29 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

This makes me very sad, but it is true.

New 40K version coming out this week. Now is the best time to show them how fun B-tech can be. Don't get me wrong, 40k can be fun...but they change their rules quite often. B-tech a medium laser has been a medium laser for the last 25 years.

#16 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostRangerRob, on 29 June 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

New 40K version coming out this week. Now is the best time to show them how fun B-tech can be. Don't get me wrong, 40k can be fun...but they change their rules quite often. B-tech a medium laser has been a medium laser for the last 25 years.

yeah games workshop seems to have been bought out by EA(lol?) with how they're constantly up'ing the prices and charging $75 for a new book with 3 new/changed rules, seriously ive read through the 6th ed. of 40k and its not that much different from the 4th ed. i own, there may be some smaller changes but it seems to be just as obscure in the changes as d&d 3.0 and 3.5 were

#17 Lars Von Danzig

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

It seriously makes me happy to see that this game is sparking interest in the TT rules; that's just fantastic. OP, once youve run through the box set rules a few times, pick up a copy of Total Warfare. Its the hard cover all-inclusive rulebook that introduces combined arms, scenarios, and some advanced rules.

Then on to Tactical Operations, if you want it to get amazing. And on it goes.

That's the real beauty of BT TT; its as simple of infinitely complex a beast as you want it to be :)

Have fun!

- LVD

#18 BloodKite

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Kerensky Cluster.......

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ive played this since the day it was stolen from Robotech.
Ive amassed 17 TT maps which I lamenated long ago,
68 hand painted pewter minature mechs in 2 black briefcases..(lost mah vision painting those)

Everymech you ever wanted is in it and that includes all quads, elementals and protomechs.

Ill soon upload those images of the collection at Amazon as a single collection for sale for 400 bucks. ( email me direct if you want to go to the head of the line)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users