7 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

I noticed something funny going on in my weapon stats. In that the Artemis equiped LRM's i have occasionally used (I'm not a fan of LRMS) are proving to not only be no more accurate but in fact worse than standard LRM's.

I know the bigger the cluster the less accurate they will be and the difference isn't miles apart only a couple of percent for the LRM 10's scaling up from the 5 but Something isn't right here. it only seems to benefit LRM5's which may explain why i see the odd mech using artemis on LRM5's only at first i thought that was weird but this explains it. And yes before you ask i do try and get line of sight while using ALRM's and they do appear to track better but it looks like they tend to be better at hitting a targets legs than the torso which may explain it. Either way firing without LOS shouldn't yield less accurate results.

I haven't used them enough clearly to find out whether its just coincidence that theyre actually worse or that i've just had more luck with standard Lurms but the 50% accuracy boost with LOS certainly seems to be absent. If not more a hindrence due to the extra slots and tonnage?

Posted Image

Edited by mad kat, 31 October 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

My stats are the exact opposite where Artemis is concerned well with IS mechs anyway. Don't really see any performance difference with Clan LRMs and Artemis mostly because the streaming effect of their missiles seems to negate any accuracy gain you get from Artemis.

#3 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

Your sample size is too small to smooth out any streaks in good or bad luck/play.

#4 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostMercules, on 31 October 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Your sample size is too small to smooth out any streaks in good or bad luck/play.

Play at least 30 games with each weapon type, and you'll be getting there.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

Here is a much larger sample to help you out. It does seem that LRM5s noticeably benefit from Artemis as OP said.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 31 October 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#6 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the extra sample. I may try loading out my griffin 3m With artemis LRM 5's and standard LRM 5's and see where the difference lies.

The bigger the salvo though the less accurate as such they will be due to bigger spread. Maybe trying them against something the size of a house like an awesome or Atlas or direwolf may help.

Either way with your sample El Bandito it does seem the 50% boost is a bit misleading as even with not having LOS all the time you'd expect the accuracy to be noticeably better not marginally better?

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:12 AM

View Postmad kat, on 31 October 2014 - 05:59 AM, said:

Thanks for the extra sample. I may try loading out my griffin 3m With artemis LRM 5's and standard LRM 5's and see where the difference lies.

The bigger the salvo though the less accurate as such they will be due to bigger spread. Maybe trying them against something the size of a house like an awesome or Atlas or direwolf may help.

Either way with your sample El Bandito it does seem the 50% boost is a bit misleading as even with not having LOS all the time you'd expect the accuracy to be noticeably better not marginally better?

Artemis does not work when doing indirect fire, but seeing how half the time I get my own locks, Artemis does help with improved accuracy. Its bonus stacks with that of TAG, after all. IMO, LRM15 and LRM20 do get very noticeable accuracy benefit from Artemis, while LRM10 in particular does not seem to change. Theoretically, LRM5 is suppose to benefit from Artemis the least, but it is benefiting from it a lot.

However, there just are many factors that influence LRM accuracy. For example, I tend to have less accuracy and do much less damage whenever there is a challenge/tournament going on, due to a lot of tryhards infesting the pugland. Conversely, my accuracy ratio goes up whenever I play against regular pugs.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 October 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#8 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Don't feel bad.

What PGI probably hasn't told anyone is the 'crit averse' LRM coding that was enabled a while back.

I don't play missile boats anymore, but I've watched what happens to targets that are being targeted by a missile boat:

Missiles come in, missiles hit every location in the direction of fire of the missiles.
Missiles continue to come in, again, hitting all locations equally.
As soon as some location goes crit, the number of missile hits to that location drops 90%.

It's especially fun to watch a target that has 2 red crit torso locations, have a 60+ missiles go at it, and you watch EVERY OTHER location flash, registering hits, EXCEPT FOR the red crit locations.

Obviously there is 'crit averse' coding to 'balance' missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users