2 replies to this topic

#1 Galland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Given how complex MWO is getting, shouldn't the website have an officially-maintained wiki or something similar where players can quickly look up the latest information of things such as:
  • Rewards breakdowns
  • Game rules/mechanics explanations
  • BattleMech construction rules
  • Weapons tables (I realize Smurfy already has this)
  • Listings of all the various 'Mech quirks.
I think it would help for people who don't really keep up-to-date with everything that's happening in the forums or who memorize the patch notes. I don't think the Training Grounds section of the website adequately communicates that information. There are some resources out there like Smurfy, sarna.net, or mwowiki.org, but they are largely unofficial sources and while they are largely helpful (especially Smurfy), I think this responsibility should be taken up by PGI. If time/resources are an issue, the framework of the wiki can be generated by PGI, and the content generation can be crowdsourced to the community. PGI can then moderate the wiki topics and approve them for publishing once a level of quality has been achieved. Just a thought.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

I think this is exactly what you're looking for: http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

But it's ill-maintained. Verrrryyy ill-maintained. It's a decent framework, though, by the looks of it.
I mean, yeah, it's not "official" but that doesn't really matter, much, so long as it's upkept and accurate. (which it's not at present... )

Edited by Tarogato, 31 October 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

An official wiki space would be nice--PGI is a fairly small company and upkeep of documentation would require a good bit of staff time (not saying they shouldn't document their product, just that they seem to have some higher priority items right now).

It's not official and it doesn't cover everything you mentioned, but I've tried to write up as definative a guide on several topics as I can. These might cover some of the things you have questions about:

Understanding Energy Weapons: Lasers, Ppcs, Flamers, And Tag
Understanding Missiles: Lrms, Srms, Ssrms, Narc And Artemis
Understanding Ballistics: Autocannons, Gauss Rifles, And Machine Guns
Understanding Equipment: Ecm, Bap, Ams, Jump Jets, Command Console And Targeting Computer
Understanding Heat
Understanding Damage
Understanding Mech Customization

They are current (excluding errors) as of now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users