Treb Quirks: 3C Vs 7M Vs 5N

12 replies to this topic

#1 SecretMantis

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

First of all, I really want to thank PGI for all the hard work they put into the quirk system. I think tomorrow is going to be a big day for MWO and I'm really looking forward to it.

Now onto the topic. From a quirk and hard point perspective, why would I choose the Treb 7M or the 5N over the 3C? They are all getting almost identical quirks but the 3C seems to be the superior choice. Yes the 7M has jump jets and an another missile hardpoint but there is no practical way to throw on a third LRM15 to make the most out of the quirk bonuses.

I was hoping there would be more quirk variations between the different chassis variants. That was the point of the quirk system, right?

If it was up to me, the 7M would have LRM5 bonuses and the 5N would have LRM20 bonuses.

What do you guys think?

#2 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

3C is the superior choice especially if speed is your thing. Aside from the 7K and its ballistic, the 3C is the only one i run.

#3 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

JJ is a big deal to me for both locks and mobility

#4 SecretMantis

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

Any other treb players out there with some thoughts?

#5 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

We are a rare breed...

#6 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'm crazy I guess - only thing I still have besides the LDG is the 5J ... I got rid of the rest.

That said, mebbe new quirks mean I pick one back up.

Edited by Macksheen, 03 November 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#7 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

5N has better torso twist, and all the energy in the arms (which I prefer) C has a CT energy, M is a different beast that runs well with a bigger engine JJ's one 15 and two streaks. N and C are obviously very similar, but the twist and hardpoint locations make it the N over the C for me. M is just a different skirmisher playstyle where the N and C are more slower lrm carriers.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

The 3C's biggest problem (like most buckets) is that the arms control most of the firepower and when the quirks come into place... this should be less of a problem, but it will still linger a bit.

The 7M benefits from the dynamic visual hardpoint change since the side torsos can house missiles with less of a penalty. The NARC torso used to be a hindrance, so it should help whatever buff it does get.

The 5N... the Kintaro-20 does the same thing, if not better (although, the KTO has its own set of issues). That's the sad part.

#9 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

I have a 7K and a 3C in my garage. Both are totally different animals that have unique playstyles. Few players realize that the 7K has highmounted hardpoints for the ballistics and energy in the sidetorsos. This makes it an effective ridgehumper able to poke and fire with out exposing itself. The mainweapons being torso mounted also gives you not one but two shield arms for better survivablity. Buffs too AC5 and PPC could possibly make it on par with the old prenclan meta of pinpoint damge.

The 3C where too start? It can take up too an XL390 giving it a topspeed of 140kph plus. I actually saved up and bought this engine and it is hilarious too move that fast in such a large mech. You have no room for weapons really though. Personally I think PGI should have buffed SRMs instead of LRMs on this mech. With unparalled speed in its class its an outstanding brawler and light hunter. The build I was running was 4xMPL and 2xSRM4 with an XL350 i believe which gave it a topspeed close too 120kph. Unfortunately they gave it quirks for LRM15s which with its tonnage it cant carry enough ammo too sustain the rate of fire the buffs give it.

Personally of the two I would get the 7K. I dont think you could go wrong with that mech. Its not a shadowhawk but its still a damn fine mech.

#10 SecretMantis

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

I know the differences between the variants make for different roles. So why don't the upcoming quirks help reinforce this? I'm specifically talking about the 3C, 7M, and the 5N. They are all getting the same quirks (for the most part)

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostSecretMantis, on 03 November 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

I know the differences between the variants make for different roles. So why don't the upcoming quirks help reinforce this? I'm specifically talking about the 3C, 7M, and the 5N. They are all getting the same quirks (for the most part)

Get used to PGI logic (sometimes, it's MIA).

#12 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostSecretMantis, on 03 November 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Any other treb players out there with some thoughts?

I have mastered all the old Trenchbuckets. They have gone through a lot of the changes from LRMs to new mediums to JJ changes.

I play my 7M like a catapult, always have. When the visual changes came into play I was able to move that second lrm15 into the torso and it made me happy. The arm missile spot is unused.

JJs on LRM mechs are important, mostly because you can 'poptart' the LRMs when you need to if you have the right modules, or need to arc some missiles over a landmass.

That said, if you aren't using LRMs on trebs (7k exception of course) then you should probably choose another mech. The only thing the treb has going for it is the large amount of tubes. Some of this was outclassed by the Griffin, but it's problem is all the tubes are in one torso, not so with the Treb.

Mobility is key with Trebs and the 7M has it in spades. Yeah the 3C might be faster, but you can't mount more LRMs if you are using the weight for engine and the 7M is already fast enough.

#13 Kenku

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

Oooh a comparison question. First, BeerandSmoke, try LRM15+5 with 4 Tons of ammo, and either 3 Lasers or a Tag and 2. A 350 gives you good manuverability, and after the quirks, the 15+5 will be preety close to synced up. 2 ASRM6s with 4 Lasers are nice to tho, and they are getting the base quirks.

As for the question at hand if you are trying to take advantage of the engine with a lower payload(or a brawling setup) go 3C, if you are trying to bring the big guns, I would say so 7M for 2 reasons.

1. Jump Jets for PopLurming
2. 2 Torso Missle Slots

Right now I have a 3C, a 7K, and a 5J(Which I use as a PPC poptart, not really taking advantage of all the lasers ^^:). I have thought about a 7M, which the first thing I would do with it is swap the positions of the ALRM15 and the NARC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users