12 replies to this topic

#1 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

As an Amurican, I applaud your English only stance. Hell, my kids take Latin and greek in them there private school and I dunno what they's sayin!

But... as a Canadian company you can't even do French?

Germany rivals American furvor for Battletech/Mechwarrior

Aren't there multi-linguistic cursing mods you can put out there to try to whittle it down? (As in, Shisen shows up, you know bad stuff is in there).

Cut and paste into Google Translator?

How will you handle this in Servers? Will they be localized? I want to fight worldwide!

I want all the BattleTech/Mechwarrior people.. don't send any away....

#2 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

This was a forum only change.

#3 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 21 November 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'd also assume that it's something that may change with time and recruitment.

Could be wrong (about adding future language support on the forums) , but I back you and the developers on this current decision.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 21 November 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

I guess that total International support will be more of a question for the FAQs. But if they don't talk here, they'll talk elsewhere. That's all! And part of the "community" will be gone. Part of their suggestions, and input, and Ideas, jokes... although I guess its all moot if its not understood anyway... This forum is our community, perhaps in game there will be other tools for community. Perhaps MWOMercs.de will exist...?

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

What browser do you use? I use Chrome and it tends to automatically translate pages for me, including any of the non english threads in this and other forums? You cannot use something similar and if something that needs modding cannot be locked with a 'PM me if you think this was locked wrongly, as something may be lost in translation'?

I know google translator is not the best but one can easily understand most of what is being said in the threads. I just agree with Technoviking as limiting language may have a few leave the forums and lower this wonderful community you guys are rapidly building. I know these two cents will mean little as the decision has already been made, and as you commented Garth with a heavy heart. But thought i would put it out.

Either way, hope most of the non-native english speakers kick around and use google translate or something similar to keep with the community.

#6 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

I only hope that this situation can be addressed when resources are available to expand support into Russian, German. These are areas with very large Battletech fan bases. Even if there is a sub- forum where foreign language can be used.

#7 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I do have to agree that a multi-lingual venue should be addressed to accomodate the whole community. I am sure that there are a lot of Multi-Lingual community members like myself willing to help moderate Multi-Lingual forums.

Knowing more than one language has been a great bridge builder with communities and countries that I have been to and it would benifit this community to have Multi-Lingual support. English is my second language but I can speak, read, and wright it fluently.

#8 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

I totally was going to reply to the old-english thread too
Been reading Beowulf untranslated :X

#9 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Garth,

I feel this is an important issue that PGI should address. I would like more information. Do you think that the extra mods you are bringing on will allow for an international community? It seems silly to play a game where many different cultures have their place in the Innersphere, yet the real, earthbound people of the same culture must be bilingual to participate.

#10 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 21 November 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

As an Amurican, I applaud your English only stance. Hell, my kids take Latin and greek in them there private school and I dunno what they's sayin!

But... as a Canadian company you can't even do French?

Germany rivals American furvor for Battletech/Mechwarrior

Aren't there multi-linguistic cursing mods you can put out there to try to whittle it down? (As in, Shisen shows up, you know bad stuff is in there).

Cut and paste into Google Translator?

How will you handle this in Servers? Will they be localized? I want to fight worldwide!

I want all the BattleTech/Mechwarrior people.. don't send any away....

Troll much? Truth is, allowing multiple languages will make the job much harder on mods, divide the community, and exclude people on topics that they may have interest/insight in. Because English is a very universal language, and the native language of the mods/developers, it was a wise decision.

I'm sure the game will have multi-language support.

By the way, World of Tanks has localized servers and enforce English Only policies on NA servers. Many companies do in order to keep logs easier to read. It's hard to look up complaints in languages you don't understand or you don't have ascii compatibility installed for.

#11 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

There is always the online translator option. You know it's all English so just type your thoughts into a translator.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 30 November 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#12 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

View PostS3dition, on 30 November 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

[...]
By the way, World of Tanks has localized servers and enforce English Only policies on NA servers. Many companies do in order to keep logs easier to read. It's hard to look up complaints in languages you don't understand or you don't have ascii compatibility installed for.

What you omitted here is that even the NA server, which is by far the smallest of the three, has subforums for the oceanic (Downunder, NZ etc.) part of the community. And they don't even speak a foreign language (at least not really in the written form, their dialect is another matter...). Thus I absolutely expect foreign-language subforums from PGI, probably as early as at beta launch, provided they can get the necessary bilingual moderators for them.

They will have to look into expanding the multilingual base of their staff anyway at release, won't really float well, if your customer support staff is only monolingual and simply doesn't reply to mails in any other language.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 30 November 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#13 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Well done PGI, good resolution.

http://mwomercs.com/...ational-forums/

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users