Looks Like You Can Get A Real Life Mech Now.

23 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Looks like the Megabot guys are offering custom mechs for people that donate enough.

https://www.kickstar...t?ref=discovery

Posted Image

Posted Image

"
Want your very own MegaBot?
For the low, low price of $999,999.99 (or four easy payments of $249,999.99), we will build you your own MegaBot! Options include cupholders, heated seats, a complimentary set of paint ammunition, a wide variety of color schemes to choose from, and residential delivery in the lower 48 states."
Posted Image

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Edited by cdlord, 01 November 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

You've been able to get one.
Once again, the Japanese beat us to it.
http://suidobashijuko.jp/

#4 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hoping this one will be better. The walking part is the thing I am looking to see how well the do it.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 01 November 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

You've been able to get one.
Once again, the Japanese beat us to it.
http://suidobashijuko.jp/

but with tires it sucks, its basically more like a crane with a crane cabin on a car base than a mech or robot.

#6 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 01 November 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hoping this one will be better. The walking part is the thing I am looking to see how well the do it.

Yeah, the Kuratas has wheels, but I want that smile shot system.
Fire away with a flash of the pearly whites. Not sure if that's awesome or downright psychotic, but I want it.

View PostLily from animove, on 01 November 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

but with tires it sucks, its basically more like a crane with a crane cabin on a car base than a mech or robot.

But smile shot.

#7 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

And within 3 years, we will have a crime commited with a modified robot, probably someone who got crazy, modified it to fire 50 caliber ammo, loaded it up with extra armor and shot up a bank or something....

But for normal people, it would be an absolute blast to just take for a stroll through the neighborhood. Even if it does scare the oh unholy hell out of everyone.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#8 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 01 November 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Yeah, the Kuratas has wheels, but I want that smile shot system.
Fire away with a flash of the pearly whites. Not sure if that's awesome or downright psychotic, but I want it.

But smile shot.

we can build one into the real mechs as well I am quite sure. But we don't need it in a car ^^ well maybe we do, but you do't need the Kuratas for that :P

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

And within 3 years, we will have a crime commited with a modified robot, probably someone who got crazy, modified it to fire 50 caliber ammo, loaded it up with extra armor and shot up a bank or something....

doesn't cares beacause the bankmechs will be replaced with bots as well then xD

Edited by Lily from animove, 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#9 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

silly thing. pls let it fail

#10 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostThisMachineKillsFascists, on 01 November 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

silly thing. pls let it fail

Well check out debbie downer over here.

#11 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

But for normal people, it would be an absolute blast to just take for a stroll through the neighborhood. Even if it does scare the oh unholy hell out of everyone.

Yeah until it got confiscated due to driving an uninsured vehicle in a public place, no company is gonna insure something like that lol :D

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostBelphegore, on 01 November 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yeah until it got confiscated due to driving an uninsured vehicle in a public place, no company is gonna insure something like that lol :D

And for sure wouldnt wanna wack a low clearance bridge and not have insurance.......Thing looks easily as tall as a Semi Tractor, at 13ft 6.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 01 November 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#13 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Kuratas has been around for some time but it cant walk.
The MegaBot, Im not so sure. All they seem to have for now is a cockpit plus arm on a jig. The technology to make a mech walk is certainly there but they should at least show a smaller scale model to showcase what their stabilization can do.

One million seems a bit low for a proper walker. A steel (possibly even mild steel) structure will be extremely heavy. It has to not only support the engine, actuators and accessories like weapons while walking but also has to whistand a fall and bumping into things. A fast walk cycle or even running on rough terrain puts up tremendous stresses. It certainly can be built, but look at a medium excavator, its sluggish and just rolling along. Weighting in already at 30+tons. The quoted 7.5 tons seem a bit on the low end for the MegaBot.
The ankles, knee- and hip joints for a mech-sized walker could possibly set you back a nice 6-figure sum alone.

Yes there has to be an engine. To walk around for more than a few minutes, current electrochemical storage doesnt cut it. Turboshaft and huge hydraulic pumps it is. Or invent a fusion engine.

But the by far biggest task will be stabilization. Walking something on perfectly level and flat ground, thats been done a lot. Walking through reality outside the lab where it could bump into smaller objects and step on all kinds of rough terrain with wildly variable properties, inclined surfaces, soft soil that makes a leg sink in some inches or wet stones that provide no friction at all,..... you get the idea. Its hard.
Holding balance without any source of rapidly available moment to aid in keeping that thing from falling is beyond what I can think of beeing possible with technology you get for sub 1 mio. If they manage this Ill have to buy a whole semi trailer full of hats to pull for them.

I wish them all luck there is and seeing mechs walking around would be a dream come true for me. Really hope they manage to get it past a garage queen.

btw. if that rendering is accurate, I wonder how theyre going to tilt the ankle sideways. If its only back/forth, its ability to walk in non-flat terrain could eventually suffer a lot.

#14 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

If I had a million dollars to burn, why would I want a funny looking tank? I mean thats what these mechs are, they are tanks with different tops on them. When they can walk like a real mech should, I would gladly shell out a million if I had it. Then again, would probably be illegal because you know, mechs vs current police forces would probably result in a blood bath.

#15 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 November 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

If I had a million dollars to burn, why would I want a funny looking tank? I mean thats what these mechs are, they are tanks with different tops on them. When they can walk like a real mech should, I would gladly shell out a million if I had it. Then again, would probably be illegal because you know, mechs vs current police forces would probably result in a blood bath.

And so we end up with the police force of Mechwarrior era, Urbanmechs, light tanks, battlearmor...lol...

I guess current Police force would just suddenly get access to Hellfire equipped Police choppers, officers with hide away TOW launchers in thier Squad SUVs, and the police cruisers get LAW launchers and M16s with m320 Grenade launchers...haha.

Plus probably on the spot execution for hte driver....cuz dayum would he make them work.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 01 November 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#16 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

I want to see this gets adapted by game show like American Gladiators.

#17 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

View Postxengk, on 01 November 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I want to see this gets adapted by game show like American Gladiators.

I believe thats what they are actually doing. mechs fighting each other with basically paint ball weapons. Like paint ball guns and missiles, enough paint on a specific point I guess makes it shut down.

#18 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostBrody319, on 01 November 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

If I had a million dollars to burn, why would I want a funny looking tank? I mean thats what these mechs are, they are tanks with different tops on them. When they can walk like a real mech should,

Even if they could walk properly, they don't offer many more advantages than just tanks and aircraft. There's a reason militaries aren't really thinking at all about giant mechs. The humanoid shape also doesn't really scale well when large.

#19 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

Watched the video. Silly idea silly promotion aka button on the right. Green Button- Click it! click it!

Anyways it might happen in the usa. Many silly things happen over there. But pls never in EUROPE

The European society doesnt needs such a silly idea where a Shitton of money gets blown out of the window just to "Entertain" bored ppl.

Get a life

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 01 November 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#20 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

Oh, they have some steel girders vaguely resembling half a torso and some cool concept sketches? Seems legit.

In other news, this guy is starting a kickstarter:

Posted Image

For $100,000,000 you will get this, along with a collector's edition soundtrack CD and a free t-shirt:

Posted Image

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users