62 replies to this topic

#1 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMercenary Training Command, Outreach

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

So this thing is burning to the west of my city of Colorado Springs. Anyone else watching this thing? 3,446 acres burned, >17000 people evacuated. The day it started I was able to watch the flames from I-25. That whole pass in front of Pikes Peak is filled with smoke. Thankfully we should have MAFFS support by tomorrow. Let's Go Mile High Gang!

#2 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Definitely watching. A lot less smoke in the air than yesterday thanks to the wind shift. Probably also means the fire will start to move north away from the Springs and other populated areas, which would be good. I may also have to give two of my interns the afternoon off if they move the evacuation area any farther west.

#3 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Yes, I'm here in Fountain, thankful the wind is typically blowing this thing North and West, but hopeful those who live in the path of this thing are either out or ready to get out safely and that they don't lose anything, and grateful that our fire folks are, indeed, keeping the structures intact... definitely way to go CSFD and federal guys... nicely done.

#4 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Our MAFFS units are up and running! Shout outs to the 153rd Airlift Wing down here from Cheyenne and our own locals, the 302nd Airlift Wing here at Peterson AFB!

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hello from the High Park Fire up north! Whenever the smoke drifts south you can't even see the mountains.

Posted Image

#6 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

"Do any of your resources happen to include weather control satellites?"

http://citydesk.free...yon-fire/16304/

#7 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Holy smokes. I have no doubt the technology is coming, but it's not here, yet, hehe.

#8 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

This fire is making a bloody mess of things. Looking out my office window this afternoon smoke was just filling the sky, pouring off the ridge above Mountain Shadows. I stopped at the Home Depot at Woodmen & Powers on my way home, and when I came out the air was orange from all the smoke that had settled at ground level; ash was coming down.

#9 Kottonmouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyoming. AKA the Periphery

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hope all of you in CO Springs are ok. One of my friends lives pretty close, is on the "two hour notice" or however it's working. Stay safe. And thank whatever God you pray to that you don't have access to this game yet. "HONEY! WE GOTTA GO!" "Yeah yeah, just let me finish this match...."

Good luck.

#10 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Channel 5 is hearing from Sunny Smaldino, right now, and I think she just said that ALL of Colorado Springs is on a 72-hour notice. I'm in Fountain, but that's close enough. They're also telling everyone to stay off their cell phones, so emergency crews can have that transmission power. The whole North-West quarter of Colorado Springs, apparently, is being evacuated. I have a very good friend, there, and I hope he and his family are out-safe. Astaroth, if you're out in that direction, I hope all will be well with you and yours.

#11 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Flying W Ranch is burned. They sent out a message expressing that they would rebuild, but an iconic place for a great meal, great music, and having fun, is lost. I'm really starting to feel crappy about this whole thing, and I'm way down south. All it would take is some ignorant ******* to light a fire South of Fountain, and they tried in three places, yesterday, but fortunately all three failed, and we would be done.

It's funny that I just quit on God, about a week ago, and now I'm back to praying again, at least to myself, for all of the people in the North of the Springs, all the way back to Waldo Canyon, and everything in-between.

#12 Walter Soebchak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Smoke is getting really thick near UCCS campus.

#13 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

The wind has just now shifted South. Mountain Shadows Subdivision is gone, and I've no doubt that we will be getting a voluntary evacuation notice within the next few hours ourselves... this damn fire is moving fast.

#14 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostAstaroth, on 26 June 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

"Do any of your resources happen to include weather control satellites?"

http://citydesk.free...yon-fire/16304/

Someone just broke the NDA...

#15 Latriam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I lived in florida about 10 years ago when it was burning. Could count the fires all the way around us got a little close for comfort.

You all be careful and take care of yourselves. I hear even the firefighters here in NC are getting ready to go help out.
BE safe and take care

#16 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thank you, Latriam, I appreciate you letting us know about the continued help coming our way.

#17 Red Sun

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm in the Springs too, been evacuated as of this evening. 4pm this afternoon all was fine and I was just settling in to some fun with ME2 and then I learn I gotta get up and leave. Fun stuff!

View PostWalter Soebchak, on 26 June 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

Smoke is getting really thick near UCCS campus.

Are you a student? I also go to UCCS. We need to get all the springs MWO players together for matches - once the fire's over and the game launches :D

View PostKottonmouth, on 26 June 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Hope all of you in CO Springs are ok. One of my friends lives pretty close, is on the "two hour notice" or however it's working. Stay safe. And thank whatever God you pray to that you don't have access to this game yet. "HONEY! WE GOTTA GO!" "Yeah yeah, just let me finish this match...."

Good luck.

I know, right!
"Red 5, flank that atlas and get him from behind"
"Sorry, Lance Leader, I uh, gotta go. My back yard's on fire...."

#18 Okie135

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

The IR camera plane will fly around 11PM local time here. In the meantime, its up to 32,000 evacuated. Parts of the Air Force Academy are evacuated. Ridge wind speed was clocked at over 65 MPH earlier today. That was able to push the fire across Queen's Canyon and into homes. Areas west of 30th near Garden of the Gods remains evacuated and Colorado Springs Utilities has shut down power and gas to that area. Kissing-Camels neighborhoods have been evacuated. Areas west of Centennial near Garden of the Gods road have been evacuated. Palmer Park is under mandatory evacuation. Holland Park is now under mandatory evacuation. Essentially for those who don't live down here, the fire has reached the western edge of the city and is burning homes. Flying W Ranch has been burned down. Mountain Shadows neighborhood has homes on fire.

Airborne firefighting support is limited to day time visual flight rules. So tomorrow morning they will be back up. We have around 800 firefighters working on the fire.

Smoke has been drifting over the city today. If you go outside use a damp cloth to cover your nose and mouth.

Care and Share on the south side of Constitution just east of Powers has been taking donations. They need water, Gatorade, and quick food stuffs like protein bars and jerky for firefighters. Food items like stew and other meals are needed. Toothpaste, deodorant, and other toiletries are needed.

All of El Paso County is on alert. If you live in or near the I-25 corridor make sure you are prepared to move on notice. For those of you evacuated, expect to be out of your home for more than 3 days.

Prayer is always helpful.

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/kktv11news

This was earlier today.
Posted Image
Attributed to Travis Jones http://www.facebook....28318380&type=3

Edited by Clark, 26 June 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#19 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Two flats of water, extra cash, a full tank of gas, and the family has some important -and things they think are important- things to take with them, and we're now 20 miles south of the current mandatory evac area. I've never dealt with something like this, before, so this is sort of suckin'. One of my oldest friends and his new wife just left their home, and another very good friend of mine, the one who helped me get my sons back through the legal system, so he's family, was invariably just given a reverse 911 call to get out of the new mandatory area. I can't imagine what they're going through, just now.

#20 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Meanwhile, I'm on my way back home from work and I turn the corner to find... a fire in Boulder. Yikes!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users