Leveling A Chassis Shouldn't Be This Difficult...

20 replies to this topic

#1 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

First off, this topic is a matchmaker rant - albeit with a spin to it with regards to leveling a chassis.

I don't know if anybody else has had this experience, but whenever I jump into a new chassis I wish to master, the MM completely loses the plot and I start losing 70%-80% of my matches (no this is NOT an exaggeration) and most result in steamrolls where my team is lucky to get 4 kills. This makes leveling a totally unenjoyable and downright tedious affair as these constant steamrolls net me a couple hundred xp each game which is grueling.

I'm currently using the 4 days of prem time I scored during the halloween event to master the FS9 and the games have gone to ****. During the duration of the halloween event, I stuck to using exclusively my mastered mechs and I was winning 60-70% of my matches and getting 500+ dmg and multiple kills was regular. Leading upto the weekend however, I was mastering the Catapult and like the FS9, I was getting royally bitchslapped by the MM while skilling up the Cats.

Every now and again, I get so sick of being hammered, I jump out into one of my mastered mechs and then BAM - back to being on the winning team, getting 500+ dmg and being on the giving end instead of the receiving.

I just played a game where apparently a bunch of my team were in unbasiced mechs (some of us announced it at the start) and needless to say, the match ended in 12-0 where my poor FS9 was the last one standing and whos 200 odd dmg was the top of my team's scoreboard.

Going off this somewhat clear pattern, my question is - does the MM change or alter when one gets into a mastered or unbasiced mech? Does it reset or something when one gets into a new chassis? Does anybody else share this experience? For me, as it currently stands, I have come to dread getting into a new chassis because of this and I'd like to understand perhaps why this happens.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

I think each mech has its own ELO, which starts 'low-ish' if its new.

Its because of this mechanic i got 6 kills in my TDK...

If you know you are in ELO-Hell, look for the LRM boats in the back of the map and ninja them. Their stream of LRM leads to a pot of gold just like a rainbow

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

If you never piloted Lights before, the MM will place you lower in the Elo range. It is up to you to carry the team, so man up.

I never piloted Lights before hopping on to Firestarters and I was beaten up often due to my lack of Light experience. Instead of QQing in the forums though, I resolved to do better, and now all of my Firestarters have positive WLR.

More playing, less whining. Especially now, since Lights get far more rewards than before.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 November 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

pop some uav's, tag and hit/run. Easy xp.

#5 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 03 November 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

If you know you are in ELO-Hell, look for the LRM boats in the back of the map and ninja them. Their stream of LRM leads to a pot of gold just like a rainbow

:lol:
You get bonus cbills if you sh*t talk them publicly after you butcher them

education through humiliation!

(that works right?)

Edited by cSand, 03 November 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#6 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 November 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

If you never piloted Lights before, the MM will place you lower in the Elo range. It is up to you to carry the team, so man up.

I never piloted Lights before hopping on to Firestarters and I was beaten up often due to my lack of Light experience. Instead of QQing in the forums though, I resolved to do better, and now all of my Firestarters have positive WLR.

More playing, less whining. Especially now, since Lights get far more rewards than before.

The FS9 is not my first light. The JR7 is one of my most played chassis, so I do know how to play lights fairly competently. And this is not a class specific thing either. As I said, I had a similar experience when leveling the Catapult and before that the Banshee.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

Yeah I might start abusing UAVs for more XP. May also throw a tag on as well and starting pinging as many nmes as I can.

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

Each mech weight class has its own ELO.

So for example:

1) I go play Metawhale.
2) I win lotsa times.
3) Elo goes up.
4) I play my freshly purchased 0 efficiency (place any assault mech here)
5) MM still thinks I'm piloting my Metawhale.

#8 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

I bought a Huggin on Friday. Apparently my purchase didn't include a mech bay, but it did include a lifetime pass on the short bus. The difference in team quality when I run my mastered 3L versus when I try and grind skills in my Huggin is.... eye opening.

#9 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 03 November 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

I think each mech has its own ELO, which starts 'low-ish' if its new.

Its because of this mechanic i got 6 kills in my TDK...

If ELO starts low-ish in a new mech, then wouldn't that mean easy matches to start with before a leveling out as you progress with said mech? Cause I'm experiencing the opposite where I start off getting pummeled, then as I start to master the mech, the W/L ratio seems to balance out.

#10 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

+ narc easy monayyyy

#11 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostMacster16, on 03 November 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

First off, this topic is a matchmaker rant - albeit with a spin to it with regards to leveling a chassis.

I don't know if anybody else has had this experience, but whenever I jump into a new chassis I wish to master, the MM completely loses the plot and I start losing 70%-80% of my matches (no this is NOT an exaggeration) and most result in steamrolls where my team is lucky to get 4 kills. This makes leveling a totally unenjoyable and downright tedious affair as these constant steamrolls net me a couple hundred xp each game which is grueling.

I'm currently using the 4 days of prem time I scored during the halloween event to master the FS9 and the games have gone to ****. During the duration of the halloween event, I stuck to using exclusively my mastered mechs and I was winning 60-70% of my matches and getting 500+ dmg and multiple kills was regular. Leading upto the weekend however, I was mastering the Catapult and like the FS9, I was getting royally bitchslapped by the MM while skilling up the Cats.

Every now and again, I get so sick of being hammered, I jump out into one of my mastered mechs and then BAM - back to being on the winning team, getting 500+ dmg and being on the giving end instead of the receiving.

I just played a game where apparently a bunch of my team were in unbasiced mechs (some of us announced it at the start) and needless to say, the match ended in 12-0 where my poor FS9 was the last one standing and whos 200 odd dmg was the top of my team's scoreboard.

Going off this somewhat clear pattern, my question is - does the MM change or alter when one gets into a mastered or unbasiced mech? Does it reset or something when one gets into a new chassis? Does anybody else share this experience? For me, as it currently stands, I have come to dread getting into a new chassis because of this and I'd like to understand perhaps why this happens.

Paulconomy™ wants you to premium time or gxp

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:58 AM

View PostDragomir Zelenka, on 03 November 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

I bought a Huggin on Friday. Apparently my purchase didn't include a mech bay, but it did include a lifetime pass on the short bus. The difference in team quality when I run my mastered 3L versus when I try and grind skills in my Huggin is.... eye opening.

Guess you were simply not smart enough to level the Huginn after the quirk pass. I bought the Awesomes this weekend but they are still brand new, until the quirks arrive.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 November 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#13 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:07 AM

Life in the ghetto shouldnt be so rough!

You have 4 elo scores, 1 for each weight class. It doesnt matter if you drop in a jenner,firestarter or locost, its always the same in a given weight class.

If you were doing really good in jenners you might be classed as a competent/high elo player in lights and the matchmaker will expect you to perform the same in a non basic locost as you did in your mastered jenner.

There is no other force at work here.

Tracking and matchmaking by chassi or even variant would ease the pain off grinding new robots but i have no idea how feasible that is for PGI. Karl Berg could probably answer this...

Edited by Budor, 04 November 2014 - 02:08 AM.

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostMacster16, on 03 November 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

If ELO starts low-ish in a new mech, then wouldn't that mean easy matches to start with before a leveling out as you progress with said mech? Cause I'm experiencing the opposite where I start off getting pummeled, then as I start to master the mech, the W/L ratio seems to balance out.

It doesn't start low for new mechs, and as you suspect that is exactly your problem. The MM expects you to perform just as well in the fresh Firestarter as you did in the mastered Jenner. What you are experiencing is the actual difference in performance between elited and fresh mechs, which is actually quite huge, plus your own lack of routine with the new mech. Jenners and Firestarters handle very differently from Jenners too, with the FS having waist high hardpoints + torso mounted weapons with a very limited pitch range. It's no mystery that you start out seeing bad results.

So I guess one solution would be that the MM could subtract/add ELO depending on how skilled out your mech is.

But on the other hand it can be a very good thing that pilots, having grown too comfortable in their optimized mechs, get a reality check on their own skill level from time to time. Like this is how good you actually are in unelited mechs, and learning to perform well without efficiencies and routine can be a separate skill to master.

Edited by Sjorpha, 04 November 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#15 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

Elo is bound to Weightclass - not Mech:
You have a seperate Elo for Light, Medium, Heavy and Assault Mechs.

That is the current knowledge...

#16 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

Leveling is end of game content? So why should it be easy?

#17 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostLupin, on 04 November 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Leveling is end of game content? So why should it be easy?

That's one darn short game if mastering a mech is end of game content.

#18 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostTorgun, on 04 November 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

That's one darn short game if mastering a mech is end of game content.

And that is the problem with MWO, the is little else to do.

#19 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

I have hope that the Quirk system going in today will make the game more enjoyable while leveling a new mech. Just make sure you take advantage of the quirks for any given chassis while leveling. Once leveled, you can change the load out to suit your taste. Then again, it may be worth it to maximize what ever quirks they offer even after the mech is leveled.

Jody

#20 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostMacster16, on 03 November 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Not really.

You get FAR less skilled people playing in a far leses organized way.

Its a team based game. And at that elo, the side that 'teams up' first is gonna do better.

A good indicator is watching that lone Atlas or Whale run out and be the first in combat without any teammates nearby.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users