8 replies to this topic

#1 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

I normally spectate after my mech gets destroy to watch players play to hopefully pick up some loadout or tactic ideas. Occasionally, I found myself spectating a player who seems to have problems aiming. They routinely overshoot targets and end up wasting their shots. One of the first thing I learned when I first started playing MWO was to SLOW DOWN THE MOUSE CURSOR. With all the high resolution gaming mouse out there, it is very easy to overshoot if you are running at a high DPI. Slow it WAY down and then slowly moving it back up a little at a time until you find a DPI that you're comfortable with.

This is not new, but I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, so maybe it needed to be brought up as a reminder.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

Turned it all the way down to 0.1, and I run my mouse on 450 dpi :P

It's probably better to not go quite as low, makes super fast torso twisting hard. But I like the accuracy, now if only the lasers would do damage to what I hit on my screen...

#3 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

This is great advice. My nephew plays on my computer and I tried using his settings. Ugh, next match, I immediately changed the mouse sensitivity.

Jody

#4 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

lol yeah.. there have been plenty of times when I'm spectating and I'll see someone trying to snipe and all I get in my head is that music video "I whip my hair back and forth"

#5 Koda Shy

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationTriPoint-Kapenja

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

I use a stick, but I have that same setting low as well, my twist are slower compared to the mouse, and my arms are slow, but if I had it any faster id be all over the place. and I cant hold it in place, I may be better with a mouse but I love the fell of the stick.

#6 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Also, turn acceleration and smooth all the way down in settings. This helped my aim immensely.

#7 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I dial down acceleration in the game controls quite a bit, about half way on the slider. I have a mouse with three different DPI settings and I used to just switch manually when I zoomed but tweaking it in the game settings I dont have to change it ever (hardly). There's no reason to have mouse go faster than mech can turn its arms or guns, so just keep it a littl bit above that and you are fine. I also bumped sensitivy to about 20% so I would not twitch while zoomed, any more than that and it affects twitch shots.

#8 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

i thought what we see in spectator mode is not what the player is seeing ? we only see what the server shows us

so they might be hitting spot on their screen but we are seeing while spectating what the server sees so it looks like they missed

#9 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 04 November 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

i thought what we see in spectator mode is not what the player is seeing ? we only see what the server shows us

so they might be hitting spot on their screen but we are seeing while spectating what the server sees so it looks like they missed

You are right. When you are in spectator mode and see 'miss shots', it may not be missed at all.

I always use the paper doll as an indicator. If you notice, the paper doll reflects damage points even if the player are 'missing' all the shots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users