- - - - -

Will Tonnage Limit Return?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel Dino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

I believe it has been implemented before, long before I got into the game. I'm wondering: will there ever be a limit on Mech tonnage per team/lance again on MWO?

I would personally love for it to come back. I mean if we're dealing with Mediums only, what incentive do I have to run a Vindicator with all Energy when I can just run a Griffin with all Energy - the Griffin has more tonnage space AND more armor.

So what's the deal? Limit coming back? Yea or nay?

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

I wouldn't mind it personally. It does get old seeing 3 Direwolves every match.. Though perhaps with the new quirks people will be playing other mechs more.

#3 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

It will exist in Community Warfare. Right now its 140 ton minimum 240 tons maximum per drop, with a mandatory four mechs, but Russ said that the weight drop tonnage may vary by battlefield, with more strict and less strict weight drop limits. Personally, I look forward to some of the lower weight limits, say, 180, because then there will be a lot less of two locust two atlas and more along the lines of three mediums and a light.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

There was never a tonnage limit, just matching based on weight class which we still have.

#5 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 04 November 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

There was never a tonnage limit, just matching based on weight class which we still have.

What he said ^

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

MWO never had a tonnage cap. We only recently had weight class caps added to group launches, limited them to a maximum of 3 per weight class in one pre-made drop group.

MWO does have tonnage matching, which means the MM does try to factor similar weight mechs (for example, Atlases and Dire Wolves) but this does not look at a team or groups total tonnage and it is not an absolute rule: like all matchmaking variables it will flex after too much time has passed and will be "less picky" about how it matches the longer you have been searching)

There is nothing preventing a premade from dropping with 3 Dire Wolves (Or Atlases), and certainly no way to prevent masses of players in the solo queue from picking whatever mech they want(hint: players like to play Dire Wolves), but the MM is making an attempt to match similar weighted mechs.

#7 Archangel Dino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 04 November 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

It will exist in Community Warfare. Right now its 140 ton minimum 240 tons maximum per drop, with a mandatory four mechs, but Russ said that the weight drop tonnage may vary by battlefield, with more strict and less strict weight drop limits. Personally, I look forward to some of the lower weight limits, say, 180, because then there will be a lot less of two locust two atlas and more along the lines of three mediums and a light.

I definitely agree with you - the lower the Cap, the more interesting. The example I used was the Vindicator and Griffin. I kept playing that thing (the Vindicator) this whole time thinking "Wait a minute, I can launch a Griffin with even BETTER weapons and MORE armor than the Vindicator, AND it's a Medium."

In that case, I can't wait for Community Warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users