61 replies to this topic

#41 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 05 November 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

More effective firepower. 40 firepower is including stuff like SRMs, Streaks, etc. A 30 alpha 6xML Firestarter-H is going to be able to do a lot more damage in general than an Ice Ferret would.

The ferret brings 4 c-ermlas and 5 heat sinks for a 28 point alpha that reaches out considerably farther with better heat efficiency.

#42 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 04 November 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

It isn't the mech, trust me. In almost every match I played tonight with my Ice Ferrets, I was in the top three performers on my team however, there just isn't much you can do when each match, your team is losing 2-3 mechs within the first 2 mins of the match and the rest just go over like dominoes.

I really cannot complain at all about the Ice Ferret especially since I think it is 10x better than a Nova, Overall, considering how badly my teams getting stomped over and over and over and over and.....well you get the idea, my damage output was pretty good. Additionally this mech really does soak amazing amounts of damage. Also the maneuverability is amazing and it climbs like a mountain goat.

I was in a few of those matches with you, and I have to agree with the Ice Ferret having strong damage soaking ability for its size. I was in a laser vommit TW and I could not find an easy spot to focus on. It was only one night, but there were a lot of IF's out there to shoot at.

It did melt under combined fire of course, but it seemed like everyone was doing so last night ::coughcoughTTK::

I look forward to eliting mine out with GXP and then seeing what they can do.

side note: The laser buffs to the cLPL were amazing. 2LPL/4ERML was just...deadly. Tempted to take 6 cMPL, just to see what the wubwolf can do.

View Postsolar levitas, on 05 November 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

The ferret brings 4 c-ermlas and 5 heat sinks for a 28 point alpha that reaches out considerably farther with better heat efficiency.

yea, different roles. The Ember is a kinfe fighter. The IF seems like it would be a hit and run harasser. 2 ERLL or 4 ERML.

dont see any value in the missile pods though.....maybe narc?

#43 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 05 November 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

I found the ice ferret to be very, very underwhelming. I usually play my Firestarter S, so in comparison it was slower, less hardpoints, no jump jets and less mobile.

Not impressed at all. Wish I hadn't wasted $$ on it.

lol, yeah indeed - i actually don't mind the $$ though, because i knew the Ice Ferret was going to be bad, i bought the pack for the Hellbringer, the Mist Lynx (for CW dropships) and all the bonus premium time/paints etc. The Gargoyle might be usable too.. will see.

The Ice Ferret was doomed to terribleness the moment PGI decided clan mechs would be locked to their stock engine size, sadly. (the Gargoyle will suffer from that too, but at least its engine isnt taking 80% of mechs allowable tonnage when armoured)

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 05 November 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#44 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:34 AM

wrong thread :D sorry

Edited by mania3c, 05 November 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 05 November 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

You can't run LPL in the CT. I had to double check my vision @ smurfys and in game to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

the D runs 4 MPL, doesn't it? So where does the Lpl come into the convo?

#46 Humza Ismail

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

The ice ferret is much better than I thought it would be. I'm running a 2x cerll and 2 srm2s on the prime and 3 cerml and 2 lrms5s artiv on the a. It's a lot more capable and fun then the lolspace suggests.

The ice ferret is much better than I thought it would be. I'm running a 2x cerll and 2 srm2s on the prime and 3 cerml and 2 lrms5s artiv on the a. It's a lot more capable and fun then the lolspace suggests.

#47 DYSEQTA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 347 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostRiverboat Sam, on 04 November 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Decided to play my new "POS", Ice Ferret - more as a joke than anything else.

Hmmm....

I actually like it. I actually did pretty well with it. They say there is someone out there for everyone. Maybe the same is true of mechs? I dunno. It just has the right mix of speed, armor and weapons to make me smile. I'm never going to swing matches with it, but I sure can scout, pop UAV's, get into and out of trouble at will, and dash in just in time to save a team mate or finish off a wounded enemy. Fun.

But it's just so damn ugly :huh: I keep looking at mine... and then selecting something else to play. :wacko:

#48 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:19 AM

The Treb 3C already could already do pretty much what the Ice Ferret is doing (fast medium light on weapons)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c882f7561b114d8

#49 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

You people are now aware that the Ice Ferret Prime (I) has an old man's comb over...

Just look at the wires that go from the cockpit to its side torso. What has been seen...

#50 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

I don't know why I'm always in love with supposly subpar mechs..... maybe because of the challenge.
It's a challenge to do well with the ferret, but I'm having real great fun with it :wub:

#51 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

i look at it this way. a stromcrow can do 2 lrg pulse 4 med, for 10 tons more. the ice ferret does 1 lrg pulse and 2 med and goes almost 50% faster. it will depend on play style needed at the time.

#52 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

Usually I find out what the required playstyle is halfway during a match :)

#53 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

yeah people say that about the Vindicator, too. I got a half dozen 6 kill matches that say otherwise.

Yet you mock my Thud when my matches say otherwise as well. :P The quirks on the 9s and the 5ss have turned them into absolute monsters :wub: so I am willing to give the Ice Ferret a chance to impress me.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 05 November 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Yet you mock my Thud when my matches say otherwise as well. :P The quirks on the 9s and the 5ss have turned them into absolute monsters :wub: so I am willing to give the Ice Ferret a chance to impress me.

well....it's a Thud. i mean...nuff said? :P

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 05 November 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

The Treb 3C already could already do pretty much what the Ice Ferret is doing (fast medium light on weapons)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c882f7561b114d8

except 9 kph slower...and are we really comparing IS MLasers to c-ERMLasers?

View PostGreenjulius, on 04 November 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm not opposed to that. I really want to love it, but the lack of tonnage hurts it so much. Speed can't make up for it; It needs some serious quirks.

oh please do call it tier 5...then I get all kinds of cool quirks!!!!

#55 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'd just like to play the damn thing. I went online last night to play some group matches... and there was 67% mediums.

....I couldn't play mine because I couldn't get a match until I went with an assault or heavy. :(

#56 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Same here, I had to wait ( surf the web) ten minutes to get an Ice Ferret in a game last night. ... I never thought I'd see the day.

#57 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

you can run a Ghetto D, but I would prefer the arms to be synced. Though If I could slap D arms onto an A, I would probably run 4 ER Smalls and 1 LPL in the torso

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 November 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

the D runs 4 MPL, doesn't it? So where does the Lpl come into the convo?

I double checked to see if that was out of context, but it's not.

Edited by Deathlike, 05 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#58 Blizzard1

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Currently working on leveling my ice ferrets. I can say this.
(1) the speed is awesome. If your pcu/FPS can handle the running around then it's alot of fun outrunning mechs.
(2) the lack of workable tonnage is horrendous. I see light mechs running around with more firepower.
(3) put a c er large laser in my torso on the a/b? Variants. This actually works out great because you can pook over hills to harass enemies without exposing your body too much. The adder does this a lot better ( and with 2 er large lasers I have to add).
(4) gotta master it to really judge this mech.
(5) not in love with the mech. But I'm bored and don't enjoy IS mechs so....

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 05 November 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I double checked to see if that was out of context, but it's not.

nope it's not, thought you were referring the the "D" surrogate part. My bad.

#60 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

you can run a Ghetto D, but I would prefer the arms to be synced. Though If I could slap D arms onto an A, I would probably run 4 ER Smalls and 1 LPL in the torso

D right arm and B left arm; 2E and 1E1M.

Both would help greatly. I'd love 7 E hardpoints, but the most this timeline can get us is 5(with the above D arm)

View PostViktor Drake, on 04 November 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

It isn't the mech, trust me. In almost every match I played tonight with my Ice Ferrets, I was in the top three performers on my team however, there just isn't much you can do when each match, your team is losing 2-3 mechs within the first 2 mins of the match and the rest just go over like dominoes.

I really cannot complain at all about the Ice Ferret especially since I think it is 10x better than a Nova, Overall, considering how badly my teams getting stomped over and over and over and over and.....well you get the idea, my damage output was pretty good. Additionally this mech really does soak amazing amounts of damage. Also the maneuverability is amazing and it climbs like a mountain goat.

I'll take the NopeVa over this. I had greater success running it than anything the Ferret could put out. Just doesn't have the hardpoints to boat, and the SL and SPL buff really helped the Nova out. Still has terribad hitboxes, which the Fenris isn't too bad for.

View PostKrivvan, on 05 November 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

It's just saddening to realize that you have less firepower than IS Lights...

It's not Tier 5, but it's nowhere close to a Tier 1. Maybe a Tier 3 mech or something.

I'd wager 4, along with the Badder. Nova would be either 3 or 4. It's back to a glass cannon role, with terribad hitboxes.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users