Raven Hit Boxes Are Broken.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

The hit boxes on the Raven's legs are larger than the actual art for the leg, meaning that you can shoot in between the Raven's legs and still hit them.

In addition, the turntable hit boxes creates some very strange situations.

The first of which is that it is possible to damage both legs and a CT with a single shot. The second is that you are able to hit the rear CT of a Raven that is moving 'away' from you but is torso twisted to present front armor to you by shooting the turntable.

#2 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

That's the same for any mech. You shoot the pelvis between the legs, and you're still hitting the RT armor section, even if their upper torso is twisted towards you.

Which is something that bugs the heck out of me, and can only really be solved by turning the pelvis into leg sections, but that also could be worse, so it's a bit of a tossup.

#3 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 04 November 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

That's the same for any mech. You shoot the pelvis between the legs, and you're still hitting the RT armor section, even if their upper torso is twisted towards you.

Which is something that bugs the heck out of me, and can only really be solved by turning the pelvis into leg sections, but that also could be worse, so it's a bit of a tossup.

Not quite.

It is true that the pelvis on each mech is split between the different portions(CT, RL, LL).

The Raven(and the Locust, for that matter, thought the locust pelvis is so small as to not really matter since you can't intentionally aim for it) is the only mech, to my knowledge, where you can hit both legs and the CT in one shot... and it is the ONLY mech that I am aware of where you can shoot the rear torso when the front torso is presented.

#4 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Used to be the whole pelvis-area was CT. Then they started giving 'mechs "thongs", splitting the pelvis into part legs, part CT for exactly the reason the OP mentioned. Turning the torso did nothing if the enemy shot your groin, now it's not as easy anymore.

The raven's legs got slightly bigger hitboxes than the model looks like because of the ongoing problems of hitregistration on fast moving 'mechs. When the raven was introduced it was all but impossible to "leg" because of those problems, so they increased the hitboxes.
Those problems are still around so the hitboxes are too.

#5 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostIronwithin, on 04 November 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

Used to be the whole pelvis-area was CT. Then they started giving 'mechs "thongs", splitting the pelvis into part legs, part CT for exactly the reason the OP mentioned. Turning the torso did nothing if the enemy shot your groin, now it's not as easy anymore.

The raven's legs got slightly bigger hitboxes than the model looks like because of the ongoing problems of hitregistration on fast moving 'mechs. When the raven was introduced it was all but impossible to "leg" because of those problems, so they increased the hitboxes.
Those problems are still around so the hitboxes are too.

False.

The hit registration problems started when HSR was introduced(not when the Ravens themselves were introduced).

HSR for the Ravens have been fixed for well over a year and yet the hit boxes, which were introduced as a stopgap measure until HSR was addressed, still persists.

Edited by Foxfire, 04 November 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#6 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:48 AM

I agree.

It's just not fair that a light mech can't go toe to toe with an assault mech. So what if they carry more firepower? The Raven is more popular...and therefore should be better.

#7 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:11 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 05 November 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

I agree.

It's just not fair that a light mech can't go toe to toe with an assault mech. So what if they carry more firepower? The Raven is more popular...and therefore should be better.

Since, you know, asking that someone be required to actually land a shot a mech to do damage( as opposed to just getting close) is totally the same as asking to be able to tank an assault with a light.

Edited by Foxfire, 05 November 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#8 rangergord

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

This is only going to be magnified with all of the ravens getting quirks for short range weapons.

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostFoxfire, on 05 November 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

Since, you know, asking that someone be required to actually land a shot a mech to do damage( as opposed to just getting close) is totally the same as asking to be able to tank an assault with a light.

Sorry man, I play in the Solo Queue. The ability to move and shoot at the same time is rare. Most come to a complete stop, zoom in and try to play CoD.

I'll be completely honest...when it comes to shooting at lights, with a wonky HSR and all sorts of other issues, I kind of just swing my lasers like a broomstick at their legs. They fall off eventually.

I don't do that crap with anything big, though. You gotta hold the shot steady if you want to take a torso fast.

As for them attacking me....well....you see, I'm one of about three people in the Solo Queue that know a little secret.

BAP/CAP cancels out ECM at 350m now and.......Clan LRMs don't have a minimum range. Yeah, I know, the damage is diminishing but...2 CALRM15s on chainfire will still take a light quick. About as well as 2CSSRM6/2CSSRM4s will.

Edited by Willard Phule, 05 November 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#10 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

It is great if you know how to fight lights.

There is a skill curve in this game when it comes to being able to shoot faster targets.. and I applaud people who can regularly hit faster targets. My issue is that the Raven Hitboxes have been borked for a while. It is true that there was a legitimate reason to increase their size when HSR was broken for the mech, but it has been beyond time to actually reverse that change. HSR and hitting a Raven hasn't been a problem for a very long time.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users