10 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

In light of all the complaining about LRM spam this week (it seems slightly more prevalent than usual since it's a popular way to farm scores in weekend events), I have a wild idea.

If you've ever played Mechwarrior 2, you'll remember that LRMs fire in a straight path and that you can aim them yourself to get around obstacles/terrain/lancemates. I'd like to see a similar mechanic added to MWO to replace the automatic arcing we have now.

But wait, there's a problem: in MW2, you had to aim at your target to lock it, fire, and then aim away to get the desired trajectory, with the issue being the first couple missiles fired straight into terrain or teammates and only the subsequent ones made it past the obstacle. Two solutions:

1: Lock retention: missile lock is maintained for a second if you aim significantly away from the target. This is the current behaviour in MWO and requires no adjustment - you simply have to re-lock the target if you happen to lose it, which effectively nerfs indirect chainfire LRM boats (like A1's running 6x LRM5 for instance)

2. Toggle Crosshair Lock. This is a toggle or press'n'hold button that locks your aiming crosshairs (torso cross and arms circle) in place so that your missile lock reticle can be moved independently. Here's how this works if you're aiming over a hill: you aim your crosshairs up over the hill where you want the LRMs to go, you press Crosshair Lock, and now you can move the missile reticle down to your target, acquire missile lock, and fire. The missiles go upward wherever you have your crosshair locked at, but you can keep the locking reticle aimed downward at your target to maintain lock. (or, if you're cunning, you lock the target first, then aim crosshair and lock them fast enough that your missle reticle is still locked on by the time you fire and you can now move the reticle down to maintain that lock and fire a second volley or spam your LRM5s)

Obviously the first option is a cop-out and requires no implementation at all, but it works, even though it kills a specific niche playstyle. The second option is more complicated but has no negative side effects other than demanding slightly more skill/effort to manipulate the control scheme.

No matter which solution is used, aimable LRMs would require more skill to use across the board and provide more diverse options for pilots who prefer indirect fire. By direct fire, the pilot could choose to let the LRMs fly in a straight line if there is no obstruction, or choose to aim high or to a side to avoid teammates or terrain. By indirect fire, the pilot is forced to manually determine the path of the LRMs so that they can fly over or around terrain.

Thoughts? Criticism? Suggestions?

#2 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

+Support

#3 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Wait, so you're suggesting that LRMs fire in a straight line unless players manually aim them in an arc? Just asking for clarification.

#4 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Will everyone just leave lrms alone. Lrm's a fine. It's buildings that are OP. 100% damage blocked buy a building? That's ridiculous! Fix buildings PGI!

(troll)

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

Lets do this. STOP TRYING TO NERF THINGS!

#6 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Greeeeaaat...So you're suggesting that all LRM boats do the wave?

Posted Image

I don't like LRMs. I think they're low skill weapons that should only be used by newbs or people with bad Internet connections who can't effectively aim, personally speaking. That being said, even I have to admit that this suggestion sounds silly.

#7 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

Greetings all,

Semi guided LRM's do see an introduction within a few years (this timeline)
- Ability to track and guide onto the target, from the spotter only, true indirect shooting.
~ introduced in 3057: Free Worlds League scientists retro-engineer and introduce Semi-Guided LRM technology.
http://www.sarna.net...Semi-Guided_LRM

But during this same timeline the Clans also bring in 'Streak LRM's', required line of sight and loosing indirect capabilities.
http://www.sarna.net...i/Streak_LRM-15 (zellbrigen at it's best)

The method your proposing might better be used for the 'Artillery' weapons that we have not see yet, Arrow IV, as it's a spot location shoot and not target specific. Sniper, Thumper systems might also be able to use a similar system, range indicated to target and 'on line' then shoot.

What I do see missing from LRM's is the 'direct' shoot with Artimis added, the ability to select a spot on the ground and actively guild the missiles while in flight. Allowing some semi steering around obstacles, not a lot of turning ability but still able to make slight turns.
(not what we see now in-game with a lost lock reacquired and LRM's making a 90Deg turn to 'get back on target'.)

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 05 November 2014 - 05:11 AM.

#8 GentlemanBryan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 210 posts
  • LocationMemphis, Tn

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:09 AM

LRM's are fine. They are now spec'd to lore. They are here to stay - they will not change from their current configuration. Lets move on to other things that matter. For example CW.

#9 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:18 AM

I would just like to say, woke up, logged on, thought this thread was titled "Animal LRMs".....it was not, therefore I may need more sleep....

Think about it though, we could have sheep launchers....

#10 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:04 AM

Greetings all,

Shoooo, don't say anything else about the sheep launchers, we'll have Aussie's all over this thread.

Kidding guys, really.
- Got some great Aussie friends in my unit.

9erRed

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostKodyn, on 05 November 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

I would just like to say, woke up, logged on, thought this thread was titled "Animal LRMs".....it was not, therefore I may need more sleep....

Think about it though, we could have sheep launchers....

That made me laugh.

While we're at it, how about other forms of livestock as well?

Skip to 2:10:

Edit: I do like what Mavrick64 and 9erRed have to say about LRMs. They feel balanced right now, so I don't believe they need a buff. Currently, you can lock-on and fire or dumb fire. Let's leave the manually guided weaponry for future tech that will be released eventually. That prevents any potential changes to LRMs that may unbalance them while simultaneously giving these newer weapons some unique properties.

Edited by Nightmare1, 05 November 2014 - 08:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users