• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:43 PM

Posted Image

Well how about this?

Posted Image

Seriously what is PGI trying to accomplish? extra support tickets requesting to refund 'Mechs accidentally purchased with MC??

This is the sneaky type of stuff I wouldn't expect a company that regard it's players as a community...

#2 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

I got caught on this spending GXP to unlock a skill once, which sucked. Learned my lesson.

#3 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostBlack Fish, on 07 October 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

Seriously what is PGI trying to accomplish? extra support tickets requesting to refund 'Mechs accidentally purchased with MC??
Probably. When you also take into account that mech skins that you paid for in a mech pack aren't unlocked until all mechs are released so that you can accidentally buy it again, a pattern emerges.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 07 October 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

I got caught on this spending GXP to unlock a skill once, which sucked. Learned my lesson.

I think this one defaults to mech XP unless you don't have any, in which case it uses GXP.

#5 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 October 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

I think this one defaults to mech XP unless you don't have any, in which case it uses GXP.

More than likely, yeah. I watch like a hawk the C-Bill, XP and other numbers before I hit the OK button, I can tell you that. lol

#6 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, I don't think PGI is intentionally trying to be grubby...but it's an outdated practice, along the same lines as charging a penny less instead of the rounded whole amount (e.g. 9.99 instead of 10.00).

Both options should be unselected and the "ok" button grey out until the player chooses an option.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:10 PM

cbills should be the default option

#8 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Good UI practice that the least destructive option should always be the default.

In the case of buying mechs - Cbills should the default option.
In the case of upgrading skills - Mech XP should be the default option.

#9 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Doesn't their loopy interface still try to burn up your MC by auto-refilling the premium consumables, too?

Hey, I like this game, but crud like that does come across as just this side of crooked (at worst) and laughably careless (at best) given the risk of pissing off customers or having to do refunds.

It's not that hard, guys... ugh.

#10 Vimpyr

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, I got burned by that once when buying a new mech. I typically don't have mc so it's usually not a problem for me. On this occasion, however, I recently purchased an mc pack and bought a mech quickly without looking. Realized my mistake about a week later when I went to buy some color/camo and didn't have enough mc?!? Had to check the mc log to find out where my credits went. :angry:

Never again.

#11 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

While they did provide you with the tools to injure yourself, it is fully your responsibility for not checking exactly what you are doing before hitting the OK button.

Blaming them when they showed you exactly what you needed to know AND YET YOU STILL DID IT isn't helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Pay attention, people.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 07 October 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

It's really dumb. I can see why you'd do it for a game like Farmville or Clash of Clans or whatever. Cheap mobile games where you want to trick kids into spending more money through micro transactions. I get that.

It just doesn't make sense in MWO, which caters to adults who mostly make informed, conscious decisions to make macro transactions.

#13 QuulDrah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAachen

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

default MCs for mechs? it's not really friendly design, granted. but nothing sneaky going on, both options are clearly and obviously stated before you click ok...

but regarding consumables?
you have to specifically select that premium consumable, which is clearly marked with the MC logo, AND have to manually click the auto-refill checkbox... what more do you want? an ingame popup during the fight in which you have to enter a captcha before continuing to get a new popup with an "Are you absolutely sure?" message?

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

Ah, I love the people on here defending this idiocy, as if it takes some staggering amount of resources to change the default option on a menu to something that does NOT hurt the person doing it!

Come on, people - I know there are plenty of White Knights and corporate lackies out there who feel business can do no wrong, but this is really pushing it... :rolleyes:

Edited by oldradagast, 07 October 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#15 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

If you're above 10 years old, you should be aware of that, but I agree, they should change that.

#16 Brollocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStomping Mechticles

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

That very nearly caught me out a few days ago when I purchased a Thunderbolt.

I would have been seriously pissed had I spent MC on it.

#17 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

That never bothered me, because you see, the secret is to have as little MC in my account as possible. B)

(but yes, i see what PGI is trying to do here)

#18 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 07 October 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Good UI practice that the least destructive option should always be the default.

In the case of buying mechs - Cbills should the default option.
In the case of upgrading skills - Mech XP should be the default option.

The least destructive would be to not have anything selected by default and to require the player to choose an option before the "ok" button is enabled.

When it comes to purchases, having the added confirmation is warranted.

#19 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostQuulDrah, on 07 October 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

default MCs for mechs? it's not really friendly design, granted. but nothing sneaky going on, both options are clearly and obviously stated before you click ok...

but regarding consumables?
you have to specifically select that premium consumable, which is clearly marked with the MC logo, AND have to manually click the auto-refill checkbox... what more do you want? an ingame popup during the fight in which you have to enter a captcha before continuing to get a new popup with an "Are you absolutely sure?" message?

For MC consumables? Yes. =P

I once blew about 10 of them in private matches because I had maybe three free ones in my inventory from an event, so I clicked Auto-Refill. But then it didn't alert me that I ran out of them, so I forgot and it just started burning my MC.

Which brings up the points that having consumables actually consumed in private matches is dumb, imo.

#20 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

It would be best if they didn't use a checkbox/radio box.

Instead there should be two distinct buttons and you click one, then a verification dialog, then it follows through with purchases.

But I do think there is already a verification dialog, so until they make it nicer you gotta pay attention.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users