#1 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

I was tinkering with my atlas-RS(C) build and upgraded to ferro fibrous armour. My resultant build had so few slots for weapons and was pretty useless. But I clicked save and spent the C-Bills on the upgrade and left no money in the bank. Played a single game with it and decided to go back to standard armour but it is 500,000 CBills to upgrade? to the armour I already had. Why am I charged to downgrade when I already paid to upgrade? Luckily I have other mechs and can make some C-Bills but if this was my only build I could see this being really frustrating for a new user who did exactly what I just did and spent all of their c-bills tinkering. It should not cost anything to go back to a previous build spec.

Cheers

Codestar

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:14 AM

because refitting costs.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

From a lore perspective, removing the armor all over again is labour and cost extensive.

From a purely gameplay perspective, it is kinda unfortunate to have to pay over and over again if you want to remove (or re-add) upgrades to play more than one build on a variant.

#4 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

From a gameplay perspective it sucks! I thought the upgrades would have a positive outcome on my build but I ended up with an unplayable Atlas with a single autocannon and medium laser. It would probably screw up every game (for other players) I got dropped into. Until I could recoup 500,000 C-Bills I would be stuck with it. My point was I shouldn't have to pay to "Undo" my build. I messed up my build and at the same time spent all my c-bills with no easy way back. If testing grounds were allowed for testing potential builds before committing to the C-Bill costs. Tinkering with builds is half the fun. This could potentially be no fun for new players with a single mech to their name who make the same mistake I did. Just saying! :)

Cheers

Codestar

#5 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:07 AM

These upgrades are only upgrades if you have the critical slots to use them meaningfully.

Otherwise they are more of a sidegrade. You are always trading one thing for another. Critical slots for weight or vice versa.
more slots needed, less weight <-> less slots needed, more weight
XL engine <-> standard engine
Ferro armor <-> standard armor
Endo Steel internals <-> standard internals
Double Heatsinks <-> standard heatsinks (well... the weight is the same on this one)

The Artemis IV upgrade is additional equipment for your missle launchers. So you will need more slots and more weight, but will gain positive modifications to missle spread and lock-on times.

You might want to use online builders like Smurfy to test out your builds before you implement them in the mechlab. You can also modify all of your mechs loadout before you hit "save", to see if everything you planned fits.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

in addition to what Egomane said Endo is always better then Fero, it costs more but offers more of a weight saving for the same 14 slots

as a rule you want to test a build on Smurfys before spending any money (link below):
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Smurfys is a great site, offernig many useful tools, but the most useful is the mechlab allowing you to plan builds, and know how much it will cost before spending anything.
most of my builds use Endo, and about half use XL engines but I only usualy fit Fero to lights and fast mediums as heavier mechs rairly have the space to use both

#7 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostCodestar, on 06 November 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

Why am I charged to downgrade when I already paid to upgrade?

You need to pay techs to strip the old armor off and put the new armor back on.

Luckily I have other mechs and can make some C-Bills but if this was my only build I could see this being really frustrating for a new user who did exactly what I just did and spent all of their c-bills tinkering. It should not cost anything to go back to a previous build spec.

It gives an incentive to think about your build before you commit to it.

#8 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostCodestar, on 06 November 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

My point was I shouldn't have to pay to "Undo" my build.

You're not "undoing" it. You are switching armor types. Standard armor is not a "free" option. It has the advantage of taking up less space. Just like standard heat sinks have an advantage over double heat sinks (you can't mount a double heat sink in the head for example). One is not "better" than the other objectively...they are just different.

I messed up my build and at the same time spent all my c-bills with no easy way back. If testing grounds were allowed for testing potential builds before committing to the C-Bill costs. Tinkering with builds is half the fun.

You can experiment with builds without committing to them...until you click "save" you are not charged anything.

This method discourages min/maxing, which is why I like it personally.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 06 November 2014 - 01:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users