- - - - -

My Override Doesn't Work...

15 replies to this topic

#1 Driftwoood

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

What am I doing wrong here?

When my mech overheats, I press the letter "O" for override just like it says in the keys layout... but it never seems to work...

Do you need to hold it down or something? Press it a bunch of times?

I did just figure out though that I can press the letter "P" to power back up right away, does it work the exact same way?

#2 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

Override only lasts for a short amount of time and you have to use it before your mech overheats.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

When you push the button, it puts your mech into override status.
That status only lasts for a few seconds

Also - if you are pushing it to late - it will not stop an active shutdown sequence, as it is preventative.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

you have to override preemptively. When your mech is already shutting down, it's too late.

Pressing O will put your mech into an override state for 30 seconds, and your mech will not powerdown when you overheat during that period. You can press it again to refresh the 30 second timer.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

You can use P to power up and down manually. Not sure if it will force a power up if you automatically shut down. There would still be a delay between cycling down and up and probably not much faster than letting it power up automatically anyway.

#6 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:00 AM

Keybind overide to a more accesible key than O. And keep spaming it since overide status last for 5 seconds only.

That said override is a ver bad idea most of the time, since I binded it to "E" a couple weeks ago I've died to overheating more than in the rest of my MWO experience; damage is severe and happens fast and it's not limited to CT but all the mech, very easily results in cockpit destroyed or legs and arms.
Override is a desperate tool or to be used only when you don't think you'll go over heat limit but there is a risk of going 101-110% but going up to 130 with an overide is gonna cause severe damage while 150% mean pretty much death. Many time when I overheat to get that last shot I press "P" to power down immediatly after geting that shot out.

#7 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 06 November 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

You can use P to power up and down manually. Not sure if it will force a power up if you automatically shut down. There would still be a delay between cycling down and up and probably not much faster than letting it power up automatically anyway.

If you press P while your mech is shutdown because of excessive heat it will shutdown again when it powers up automatically. There is no way to manually power up if your mech was shutdown due to heat, believe me I've tried.

Edit: You can use override and manually shutdown when it's more convenient, you will be able to power up whenever you want as long as it wasn't a forced shutdown.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 07 November 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 06 November 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

you have to override preemptively. When your mech is already shutting down, it's too late.

Pressing O will put your mech into an override state for 30 seconds, and your mech will not powerdown when you overheat during that period. You can press it again to refresh the 30 second timer.

It's only 5 seconds, not 30.

#9 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think you actually can power back up if you automatically shutdown, though you would have to been shut down for a long time. Most of the time when people overheat, they only shutdown for a couple seconds.

Take the 12 laser Nova to the testing grounds, do an alpha strike which will make you shut down for like 10+ seconds. Before you power up again automatically, press the power up button and I think you will actually power back up (and then promptly explode because you're still cooking).

At least, I think it works. Even if it does though, I'd avoid it because
1. Most of the time you will be forced to shutdown for only a brief moment. If you press the power button, you might trigger the shutdown again and end up shutting down twice.
2. If you severely went over your heat, you will probably take even more damage when you wake up.

#10 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

you take massive damage if you're overheated and not shutdown. use override sparingly or not at all and just learn to manage the heat gauge.

#11 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

You can go years playing the game without knowing how override works - I only learned a month or two ago.

Think of "override" as a status for your 'mech, not as a command. You put your 'mech into "override mode," and it won't shut down if it overheats while in this mode. So press "O" first, and THEN overheat. You won't shut down (but you will take damage to internal components). Very counterintuitive!

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 07 November 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Take the 12 laser Nova to the testing grounds, do an alpha strike which will make you shut down for like 10+ seconds. Before you power up again automatically, press the power up button and I think you will actually power back up (and then promptly explode because you're still cooking).

Take the Nova to Mordor, alpha and sit and watch as even though you are shut down, your mech still explodes!

#13 Peter Kuerten

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

I didn't want to open a new topic for this question, and it is somehow related to override mechanics.

Consider the following situation:
We are in Conquest mode; the enemy team has 1 Mech left, but is leading on caps. I spot the Mech, I leg him, and I know that I need one more shot to kill him (the other leg is orange). But I overheated and shut down while legging him. In the meantime the enemy team hits 750 points and wins.
What if, in this situation, I override the shutdown, destroy the enemy Mech and thus end the match before they win by points? Do I still die or is all damage stopped from occurring at the end of the match?

Edited by Peter Kuerten, 08 November 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#14 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

As soon as the last mech dies, you win. However, you may still see yourself die on screen. But think of the worthy sacrifice!

All depends on if you see the X killed Y before you explode.

#15 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:20 AM

View PostPeter Kuerten, on 08 November 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

What if, in this situation, I override the shutdown, destroy the enemy Mech and thus end the match before they win by points? Do I still die or is all damage stopped from occurring at the end of the match?

If you destroy him with your final shot, and the match ends exactly then, then you will be fine. All damage ceases the moment the victory conditions occur (victory, defeat, or draw).

#16 Peter Kuerten

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users