Cryengine 4 Or Unreal 4...game Engine Update.

27 replies to this topic

#1 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

So this would be an interesting topic.

Before I begin I want to stress how much work this would take, it would be the equivalent to redesigning the game. With countless hours being devoted with blood, sweat and tears it can be done. I don't think we would be able to understand the work that would have to go into this project, unless we were a developer, nor would it be easy. I know there's definitely tons more additions and improvements planned to be made in MWO this coming year concerning Faction Play but here's an idea.

Similar to how World of Tanks has done it, a competitor to this genre of games many would say, as WoT aged their development team ported over the game to a newer engine breathing new life into the models, graphics, physics of the game ultimately almost making it into a new one with an engine update adding many new things never seen before into the game.
As a lifetime Battletech fan I would give anything to see this happen to MWO and I'm sure other loyal fans would too, I believe. Hell I'm happy with the current game and others are too and even with its aged game play I still throw money at the screen when a shiny new mech comes out that I've been waiting for! This would help bring new blood into our tight community and be for the better of the game like a fresh coat of paint on our aging battlemechs. Who knows what they could do, taking a Gauss Rifle to the chest and seeing sparks fly into our cockpit while the churning of gears and metal wail out as we move to cover sounds like a dream. Dynamic weather on maps, Night/Day. Random orbital strikes in game modes that change the map to help make a more immersive battlefield the possibilities are endless.

I know that this seems like a far fetched day dream or asking too much. I would love to see everyone's thoughts on this.

Edited by Svarti713, 27 December 2018 - 09:47 PM.

#2 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:24 AM

you would be better off getting an MWO2 and with the amount of people shelling out $70+ ever couple of months there is simply no way there is enough incentive for that

#3 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:09 AM

I know but with all the money we all have spent on this awesome game I feel we would deserve this and have our Mechs transferred to the new release of the game, WoT did it and all my Tanks that I had bought were brought to the new version of the game. Plus it would add new longevity to MWO, PGI could still add more mechs into the game making this the Mech Warrior game with THE MOST mechs ever, it already kinda is but you know what I mean.

Doing this could also take away from the current design restrictions that the developers currently face with the game making faction play and everything else better.

Edited by Svarti713, 29 December 2018 - 05:08 AM.

#4 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

View PostSvarti713, on 27 December 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

I know that this seems like a far fetched day dream or asking too much.

Not at all. There are detailed models of mechs from TRO 3039 (there were earlier TROs, but whatever) in MW5 demo already (more detailed than in MWO I should say), so half the work is already done. After they release MW5 PGI would only need to add the remaining mechs and tech, which is essentially different models and a few more entries in the database, and there you go - no limits on speed, number of legs or ammo switching imposed by CryMeARiverEngine. And guess what, better graphics, better physics, better optimisation, better all the things. Unreal Engine is and has always been Chuck Norris of game engines for lots of reasons, and you are right to be aware of it.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

There's a legal issue revolving around it.

Crytek sues when you try to change away from their engine.
With Crytek's limitations and the condition crytek has been in repeatedly, I'm surprised the company isn't belly up but apparently its done another engine.

However PGI's made it clear that just making a necessary engine update the last time was a huge ordeal and with it came a lot of issues and months of bug fixes. And honestly the game looked so much worse after that.
Compare today's MWO to this.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

Half the work is done in MW5, sure. PGI is also very familiar with the Unreal engine (they've done quite a bit of work with it in the past even if they haven't done many games). However, Crytek would flip some tables over it.

Meanwhile an update to Cryengine 5.5 might be pretty neat, but by the time we get it, it'd be outdated. Cryengine requires significantly higher power to run versus Unreal engine, PGI has a few people staffed for bugs and other issues but no dedicated programming staff for it. Last I knew they outsourced any big changes which costs quite a bit. (They used to outsource animations which is why some mechs had good animations, but once they had an animation stable they began splicing animations together very poorly, take a Nightstar in third person, trot at full speed, torso twist 90 degrees left or right and enjoy the freak show. Take a Flea and walk, Atlas animation. Run, and what the heck is that your legs are disconnecting from the pelvis!?).

HSR, lag compensation, and the network authority would all have to be redone for the new engine either way and both engines are trying to open up for more mods which means it'll be even harder to do cheat detection.

(Far as I know because of the conditions Crytek has been in and the way Crytek licenses its stuff, Crytek provides no support for MWO's cryengine license.)

#7 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostSvarti713, on 29 December 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

I know but with all the money we all have spent on this awesome game I feel we would deserve this

damn entitled millennials

and nah with the size of their team and the amount of work changing would be the cost is just too high. they have said over and over they really wish they could port it over to the MW5 engine but they just can't. how much they have done with so little is amazing though

#8 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostCichol Balor, on 29 December 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

damn entitled millennials

and nah with the size of their team and the amount of work changing would be the cost is just too high. they have said over and over they really wish they could port it over to the MW5 engine but they just can't. how much they have done with so little is amazing though

Lol I was born In 1994 I aint no Millennial, Screw That; those ignorant entitled....Ima stop now while I can XD. I agree with you that what they have done so much with so little what they have already have is impressive to say the least. Even though It would be tons of work it would also bring more people into the game. Seriously check out World of Tanks before and after their Engine Update, If they can do it I'm sure PGI could. Hell they could hire a team to help and it would just do wonders and make they game even more money if you think about it with all the pluses it would gain.

Here's all the proof we need below...With their Engine update and I'm sure they have the same size Dev Team If not smaller...

Edited by Svarti713, 29 December 2018 - 09:11 PM.

#9 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 December 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

With Crytek's limitations and the condition crytek has been in repeatedly, I'm surprised the company isn't belly up but apparently its done another engine.

Thank You for sharing this, I am ignorant when It comes to this because I never knew something like this being Sued with the Engine Issue, I never knew this happened. This is really cool, so I'm assuming PGI could only port it to Cryengine 5. Doing this would be easier than re-branding the current game and with the legality being easier, it would promote the Newer Cryengine Engine and be great for MWO. So a win-win for both right?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Not sure, PGI isn't all that good with the cryengine, and it isn't meant to work with the scale of mechs as they are. (Which is funny because PGI made mechs way too big compared to official size comparisons of early invading Omnimechs, I mean the Dire Wolf is supposed to be 12.3 meters tall and in MWO its closer to 17+). But even then, CryEngine's meant to be seen with boots on the ground and it doesn't handle large scale things all that well (Atlas falling over would crash an entire match for everyone, sometimes even the whole server).

Cryengine 5 might have improvements, but in general as a company, Crytek is um...
Well... If you compare the company to Electronic Arts or Harmony Gold...it might make a little more sense. It is less than favorable.

#11 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

So in other words MWO 2 would probably be the best coarse of action with a completely different Engine and have everyone's accounts and mech's transferred over.

#12 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

Russ did bring it up at the Q&A, saying that they know MWO needs a tech update. And whether or not that can happen will be a discussion that happens more towards the release of MW5.

Essentially, it comes down to the licence from Microsoft and whether or not MW5 does well.

#13 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 29 December 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

Not at all. There are detailed models of mechs from TRO 3039 (there were earlier TROs, but whatever) in MW5 demo already (more detailed than in MWO I should say), so half the work is already done. After they release MW5 PGI would only need to add the remaining mechs and tech.

lol if only this was remotely how it worked

#14 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostSvarti713, on 27 December 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

Who knows what they could do, taking a Gauss Rifle to the chest and seeing sparks fly into our cockpit while the churning of gears and metal wail out as we move to cover sounds like a dream. Dynamic weather on maps, Night/Day. Random orbital strikes in game modes that change the map to help make a more immersive battlefield the possibilities are endless.

I know that this seems like a far fetched day dream or asking too much. I would love to see everyone's thoughts on this.

Most MWO players prefer Solo Quickplay to grind XP, lowering the player base for Faction Warfare and Solaris 7.
In Solo Quickplay Teamwork is basically zero because you don't know nothing about your Lancemates Loadout.
The Team is dissolved after the match anyway, so risking your Mech for the Team is just stupid.
In Group Quickplay the 10 different group sizes (some of them like 9+3 & 10+2 only compatible in one combination) result in long search times in the matchmaker.

Those are IMHO the biggest problems in MWO, how does a new engine would solve those problems ?

#15 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 December 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Nope, CryTek sues you when you get a license for one game for a reduced price and when use the license to make two games.
CryTek also sues you if you promise to deliver any bugs you found or self made engine improvements to CryTek, and brake that promise.

CryTek is also seriously enraged because they did the promo video for the Star Citizen kickstarter and gave CIG the license for a reduced price and CIG decided to thank them by switching to Amazons Version of the CryEngine...

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostAlreech, on 30 December 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Nope, CryTek sues you when you get a license for one game for a reduced price and when use the license to make two games.
CryTek also sues you if you promise to deliver any bugs you found or self made engine improvements to CryTek, and brake that promise.

CryTek is also seriously enraged because they did the promo video for the Star Citizen kickstarter and gave CIG the license for a reduced price and CIG decided to thank them by switching to Amazons Version of the CryEngine...

While I'm aware of those claims, it was later straightened out in court that part of Crytek's claims were working on a technicality of collectively referring to two separate titles as "the game" while in most documents defined as two separate entities.

The license at a reduced price doesn't really change much if it isn't used in the end, Crytek's support for the engine basically stopped during its bankruptcy, meaning Crytek was unable to hold its own end of the contract. The engine also proved unable to provide for the needs of the game. Games switch engines when the need arises, though Crytek's reduced licensing cost did come with a stipulation of using it. As such when the details are fully resolved, CIG may need to pay the remaining licensing fee and recoup the cost of their earlier work. It depends on whether or not abandoning support for the engine due to Crytek's bankruptcy and mass layoffs as one of several reasons to switch works out for CIG, or if Crytek's breaking of their end of the contract isn't enough to warrant the lack of faith of a company that was going under CIG was going for at the last I saw of it.

I do believe CIG was claiming they already paid for that initial help though I will have to get versed back into it again, in which case Crytek hasn't got much to go on, and their reaching of CIG and RSI as separate entities to get double licensing fees, force the engine, etc... probably won't get anywhere.

Crytek has some good reasons, its also grasping desperately at straws as through some faults of their own they messed up. CIG hired a lot of former Crytek employees prior to the switch mainly due to CIG cutting off their contracted support (and them being laid off as the support from Crytek).

Anyway, yes the company has seemingly recovered from its near bankrupt state. But last I've seen they have far less ground to stand on than Harmony Gold does, and Harmony Gold technically doesn't even own the rights it keeps suing over.

Edited by Koniving, 30 December 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#17 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:15 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 December 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

The license at a reduced price doesn't really change much if it isn't used in the end, Crytek's support for the engine basically stopped during its bankruptcy, meaning Crytek was unable to hold its own end of the contract.

AFIAK CIG didn't claimed that in their reaction to CryTeks lawsuite, & CIG never terminate the license.

The engine also proved unable to provide for the needs of the game.

That's not CryTeks problem.
Chris Roberts knew that the Engine has to be modified, and CIG got the source code to modify the engine to their needs.
The legal way to switch the engine would to terminate the license, remove all parts of the CryEngine code from their modified engine and give CryTek all the documentiations and disk/usb sticks with the original engine and tools back.

It depends on whether or not abandoning support for the engine due to Crytek's bankruptcy and mass layoffs as one of several reasons to switch works out for CIG, or if Crytek's breaking of their end of the contract isn't enough to warrant the lack of faith of a company that was going under CIG was going for at the last I saw of it.

CIG didn't claimed that CryTek breached their contract by not providing tech support.

But the important question is:
Why would CryTek sue PGI if PGI ports MWO to an other engine ?

Has PGI created a second game with the CryEngine without paying for it ?
Has PGI promised to deliver engine improvements to CryTek and didn't ?
Has PGI replaced the CryEngine trademarks in the game without terminating the license contract and without removing all parts of the CryEngine from the game ?

#18 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

I'm not too sure about the level of work involved but PGI said they weren't doing anything major to MWO until MW5 is done

#19 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

View PostSvarti713, on 29 December 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

Lol I was born In 1994 I aint no Millennial

that would put you right at the millennial sweet spot mate. millennials are people who grew up at the turn of the millennium

#20 Svarti713

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 62 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostCichol Balor, on 31 December 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

that would put you right at the millennial sweet spot mate. millennials are people who grew up at the turn of the millennium

Well if so I was brought up old fashioned with morals and to respect my peers. I don’t feel entitled to anything I feel I have to work hard for the things I own and I’m perfectly happy to do so. Also brought up to if I or someone has a problem with something to actually confront the person and talk to them physically instead of hiding and doing some stupid social media post bull ****. What sucks is most people around my age think they don’t have to work for **** and expect everything to be handed to them is sad and makes me sick, the world doesn’t work that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users