How Have People Been Faring W/ Orion Quirks?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

I seriously haven't really seen much use in any of the quirks given. The default protector seems like a better choice than Ac20 Orion ever could be. I understand quirks are to help lower tiered mechs, but what good is it on near complete irrelevant to stock configs?

#2 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

I have a long list of mechs I want to try with their new quirks. I'm also trying to level my TDK and Jester I bought for 50% off and the 3 Ice Ferrets. But, the Orions are on my 'to try' list. That being said, I want to try them this way:

Orion M : LB10X, 2xSRM6, 2xLarge Laser, 330xl
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c7f0bb159047a3a

Orion V: 2xAC5, 2xPPC, 325x
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b4cde1ff82d610

Orion VA: AC20, 4xSSRM2, 2xMed Laser, 295std
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e8b701a8eacedc5

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Still the weaker 75 tonner.

#4 Kvaneal

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

The ON1-V quirks were unfortunate. I have historically done very well using a two LB10X, two SRM6 setup with the chassis. Since the quirk changes I have tried two AC5, 3 LRM5 a few matches. I hated the idea of putting LRM5s on and after the second match traded them to get the SRMs back. Tried a couple more matches with the AC5s and SRMs and have not cared for that build yet. Will probably go back to old favorite build for the chassis.

Most every other quirk set up I've managed to enjoy. This one I can't even work with.

#5 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

PGI needs to release some example Orion builds on what they were thinking and let the community try them out.

When they bite the dust badly (because you know, other mechs got quirks too) they can go back to the drawing board. ;)

Edited by LORD ORION, 07 November 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#6 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

I've done okay with my Orions, but I was doing okay with them before the quirks...so no real change.

#7 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

The Protector and K quirks need to be swapped, seems a shame to only use 1 ballistic slot out of the 2 on the P. Plus, the K with AC20, 2 LL, and 2 ML is probably its best loadout. V should get LRM 15 quirks instead of LRM5 and the VA should get LRM10 quirks. I have no idea what to do with the M.

#8 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostChoppah, on 07 November 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

The Protector and K quirks need to be swapped, seems a shame to only use 1 ballistic slot out of the 2 on the P. Plus, the K with AC20, 2 LL, and 2 ML is probably its best loadout. V should get LRM 15 quirks instead of LRM5 and the VA should get LRM10 quirks. I have no idea what to do with the M.

M should get +16 amor bonus to LT/RT if it running XL.

#9 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

M and V quirks are decent but K, VA and the Protector quirks are just out of place. K is THE brawler of all the Orions, but it just gets a useless UAC5 bonus. The Protector is the most versatile Orion, but its quirks are geared for a brawler role instead. The VA quirks look OK at the first glance, but you just can't make a decent SRM6+AC20 build with a usable speed.

I'd go with this:

K: AC20 and SRM6 cooldown, ML heat reduction
VA: SRM6 heat, cooldown and AC10 cooldown, speed
Protector: PPC speed and energy heat reduction. Generic ballistic and missile cooldowns.

Also, the arm armor bonus is completely unnecessary. Orion's arms barely block anything so this quirk is wasted. Instead, give +6 armor bonus to STs so they get +6 armor and +8 internals. Plus, all of the Orions get some mobility quirks. Preferably acceleration and torso turn rate.

Edited by Tahribator, 07 November 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#10 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

I found none of the weapon quirks realy helped out my favourite builds. But IMO that's not really the point of the quriks. I refuse to change my builds :D The extra armor is nice though.

Seems like they were mismatchedf for the variants.. personally would have the UAC on the protector and the ac20 on the K but w/e.

ON1-V dual LBX is my beastmode mech anyways

Edited by cSand, 07 November 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#11 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

V quirks match my existing build almost perfectly and gave it a nice performance boost. 2x AC5 without the quirk was only a 1-2-pause cycle, but with the quirk it keeps almost constant stream going, probably could get there with cooldown module but I dont have one yet.

I do not like weapon-specific quirks even though I got lucky on it here and would be happy to give them up

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 07 November 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#12 Michel Hatchet

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I am a little disappointed actually. My favourite mech was the Orion-1V. I use it as a heavy missile vehicle. 3 lrm 15's Med lasers 2 MG's a 300xl engine and tons of missiles. The quirks have LRM 5... on a mech with 2x15 tubes and a 20tube rack in the shoulder. I is confused. What was my best missile skirmisher, (I like to fight at about 4-600m out) is now playing a bad second fiddle to my Awesome. It is kind of weird. Because there was no universe in which I was going to convert my maxed out missile machine into a Brawler. 2 AC 5's??? LRM 5's??? The stock loadout is SRM 4's, LRM 15, Med Lasers and AC 10. Aside from the MEd lasers, where are the stock weapons?

I don't get it. :(

#13 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

They seem to make it a little better.

I took out two heat sinks to upgrade the SRM4s to SRM6s on my VA, and it still runs cooler, in part due to pulse laser buffs. (AC5 + 4xSRM6 + 2xMPL)
On the V... I didn't do anything and just took the 'splash damage' from the general buffs. (2xAC2 + 2xERLL + 2xASRM4)

#14 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

I have been doing very well in them lately especially the M, it got the same LBX-10 buff as the Cent-D (auto shotgun).

My current Builds:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dc7fb94dc0f7774 ON1-M Auto Shotgun

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01bfd84f89abb7f PROTECTOR Starving Atlas

Posted Image

Edited by TwentyOne, 07 November 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#15 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Got some good matches in my VA, it really feels way better now, but I find K quirks disheartening, and Protector's AC20 buff while good in itself, seems to be a waste of 2 ballistic hardpoints.

#16 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostMichel Hatchet, on 07 November 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

I am a little disappointed actually. My favourite mech was the Orion-1V. I use it as a heavy missile vehicle. 3 lrm 15's Med lasers 2 MG's a 300xl engine and tons of missiles. The quirks have LRM 5... on a mech with 2x15 tubes and a 20tube rack in the shoulder. I is confused. What was my best missile skirmisher, (I like to fight at about 4-600m out) is now playing a bad second fiddle to my Awesome. It is kind of weird. Because there was no universe in which I was going to convert my maxed out missile machine into a Brawler. 2 AC 5's??? LRM 5's??? The stock loadout is SRM 4's, LRM 15, Med Lasers and AC 10. Aside from the MEd lasers, where are the stock weapons?

I don't get it. :(

I run a similar setup to you...LRM15s should have received the quirk, not LRM5s. It doesn't even come stock with a 5 like you said so it doesnt really make any sense.

Speaking of which...why does PGI always inflate the missile tubes on the hardpoints? The Orion V comes with an LRM-15 and 2 SRM-4s...why is it able to load 15/20/15? Not that I'm complaining, since I tend to LRM it up and the V is one of my top choices for it but the whole issue of LRM boats arises from PGI's looseness with missile tubes.

#17 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

My ON1-VA benefits from the AC20 quirks PGI gave it. It skips the SRM6 quirks, but it wouldn't be too hard to put some SRM6s in there, maybe something like this.

My ON1-V gets a lot of use out of the energy range and AC5 buffs. All it doesn't do is use the LRM5 quirks, though swapping to MPLs would let you cram in a couple LRM5s pretty easily.

Finally, my ON1-K build goes heavy energy, so it has some mixed benefit from the quirks for the variant. I imagine PGI wants it to look more like this, but I'd not want to run it. The single UAC5 is just not worth much, so I'd rather exploit the missile and energy buffs and skip the ballistic entirely.

For the M you probably want something akin to this. I don't own one, though, and dislike the mixed torso/arm SRM6 payload.

The Protector seems like it really wants to be an AC20/SRM6 brawler. PROTECTOR might work okay.

#18 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

I've been running this on my M to some success.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a8eab83354a240

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users