13 replies to this topic

#1 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hello! I was just looking through the two new mech packs available (have been away for some time.), and was wondering what you guys thought of them. I have the Masakari clan pack, and enjoy most(?) of the clan mechs.

However, I was reading about some of the new quirks that have buffed lots of the IS mechs, and thought that to be pretty cool.. but I don't know if the Resistance mechs will be receiving quirks.

Prices aside, what am I better off buying? I know people have mixed feelings about the Ice Ferret (and Gargoyle, if I remember correctly..).. should I just wait until some of the other Wave II/Resistance mechs are revealed?

#2 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

The clan wave two mechs look underwhelming. Prime variants are often weaker, weapons loadouts are constrained and ECM for the Loki has just had a timely? nerf. The IS mechs will be made or broken by quirks. All in all if it is an option it may be time to take a break from mech purchases until the dust settles from quirks and new tiering of mechs is established.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

Clans are only going to get worse thry still need another 15% worth of nerfing.I would never buy a clan mech at this point.

#4 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

Let the force guide you.

#5 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

If you buy the Clan wave 2 I believe you also get the maddog since you own the first wave 1.
So far clan wave 2 has been underwhelming and the only one that really really has a decent chance to be a better mech than the ones we currently have (Koshi). Otherwise the other mechs have to compete with the Doomcrow, Timberwolf, and D-whales.

Russ has said that the clan mechs might get a quirk pass, which might help a lot for the under used one.
The resistance pack is really...iffy, they might be useful, but really people are interested because its 80 dollars (one of the cheapest packages) and they get a king crab for it.

#6 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

I see.. I think I'll wait until some of the Resistance pack is revealed, but I'll probably opt for that one. The Gargoyle doesn't seem like my kind of mech, and I'm not really up for spending more just to get a Maddog.
Thanks for the input guys.

#7 Wolfgang2685

• PipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 69 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

WTFclock, despite the BAP boost from this patch, I can see loki being on par with Timber Wolves in terms of capability.

http://www.sarna.net...nger_%28Loki%29

If you check out the stock loadout, ignore the Anti Personnel pods. You're gonna get a 65 ton clan heavy with a 325xl which will probably go about 95kph after speed tweak. Compare its loadout to an already existing timberwolf, and you'll see they are probably going to have similar capability but a different geometry. Considering that's the star player of the clan pack, and that you can already see the ice ferret, the only other difference would be if you want a really fast clan atlas, which is what i feel a Man O War is.

As for the resistance pack, I personally would rather wait for the cbill variants since IS mechs are incredibly cheap in comparison to clan. Right now I feel zues = assault thunderbolt, grasshopper = very similar to quickdraw with better hitboxes, enforcer = centurion with better hitboxes which you should XL with, and panther = some sort of energy/missile light hybrid with the same interesting engine cap as the vindicator.

so up to you. but a king crab for just $80 sounds nice if you compare prices to everything else in this game. 60 days premium time included too, so its probably something more like $50 for 5 mechs (10 dollars per mech, wewt) with $30 premium time value.

Edited by Wolfgang2685, 08 November 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

If you are planing to spend quite some time in community warfare, then keep in mind that you can only use clans or IS mechs, not both at the same time. You can switch side once per month or so though. I find wave 2 quite interesting, but will go with the resistance pack as I consider myself a loyalist. I barely play my KitFoxes and Novas for that matter.

#9 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Clan mechs most likely wont be getting any more nerfs. Anyone who says they still need them after the Quirkening are just salty at this point.

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostWalluh, on 08 November 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Clan mechs most likely wont be getting any more nerfs. Anyone who says they still need them after the Quirkening are just salty at this point.
Russ said clans won 64% of the time this is without the timber being out for cbills. Sure they might not nerf clans but they will buff IS and to me thats the same thing.

#11 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hm.. now I'm stuck.
I just checked the Resistance dates, and am not sure if I'd like to wait that long..
I hope the Wave II mechs get some quirks.

#12 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostWTFClock, on 08 November 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Hm.. now I'm stuck.
I just checked the Resistance dates, and am not sure if I'd like to wait that long..
I hope the Wave II mechs get some quirks.

We don't know how effective the Wave 2 mechs will be. The Ice ferret put a bad taste in many people's mouths. The Koshi, Loki, and Man o' War might be awesome and really compete with our current mechs. The Maddog can be effective if used right. Funny enough, the deciding factor for some of these mechs was really the size. If the Ice ferret was the size of a firestarter, or a raven, I would agree it would be one of the better mechs, but the size of it is its weakness.

I think the only clanner mechs that need quirks is the ice ferret, nova, adder, and summoner. half isn't bad.

#13 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

The new Clan mechs will probably fill voids and create new roles for Clan mechs that don't already exist.

There is no Clan mech that can be used the same way as the Ice Ferret, being a fast hunter-killer with 142 kph speed and more firepower than any light mech.
There is no Clan mech that can be used like the Mist Lynx, being either a small and fast light mech damage dealer or a fast and small ECM sniper.
There is no other heavy Clan mech with ECM, and the wonderful hardpoints of the Hellbringer.
There is no other Clan assault mech with the speed of the Gargoyle. To be fair, it's probably going to be the worst of all Clan assault mechs, but the Warhawk and Dire Wolf are both very good right now.

Can you say the same thing about the Resistance Pack? I don't see anything to get too excited about, without knowing anything about the quirks. Panther looks like a Firestarter / Jenner hybrid, but slower. Enforcer is a Centurion trading missile hardpoints for lasers. Grasshopper is a slightly bigger and slower TDR-5SS (Thunderbolt). Zeus is an Awesome-clone, except one variant has ballistics, and with an XL390, it's potentially going to be a better medium laser boat than the AWS-9M.

Kind of different, but hardly groundbreaking.

#14 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 November 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

--snip--

Interesting.
I think I'll like the Ice Ferret if I buy the pack, it just sounds like a really fun mech..
And I've always loved the way the Loki looked.

Edited by WTFClock, 08 November 2014 - 04:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users